Container settings

• Is it normal for a pihole docker container to lose some settings after it has been stopped and then started?

I recently added some fans to my case and I had to stop the pihole container before shutting down omv.

When I brought omv back online my pihole container was already started but I had to redo my upstream dns settings, my conditional forwarding and my regex lists.

Is there something I need to do to make sure my container settings are saved?

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your volumes should be something like this to store data between restarts and updates:

Code
     - /srv/dev-disk-by-label-dataos/docker/pihole/volume/:/etc/pihole/:rw
     - /srv/dev-disk-by-label-dataos/docker/pihole/config/dnsmasq.conf/:/etc/dnsmasq.d/:rw
  • macom

Just checked the logs. Nothing seems to be amiss. No errors.

Although, all I did this time was stop the container, verify the volume rw status, and then start the container. When pihole "lost" its settings was when I stopped the container, shutdown omv and then restarted omv. When omv restarted the pihole container was also restarted so I'm wondering if there is some sort of "default" container startup.

For now I will monitor it though.

• I don't know enough about the rest, but were your upstream DNS settings passed as environmental variables during the original container creation or did you fill them in after you started it? If the former, you may have a problem, if the latter I recommend you change it.

• I don't know enough about the rest, but were your upstream DNS settings passed as environmental variables during the original container creation or did you fill them in after you started it? If the former, you may have a problem, if the latter I recommend you change it.

When I first set it up I changed the dns settings after the container had started.

I just did an exercise on backing up the pihole configs so now that I have a documented backup and restore process it shouldn't be a bother now.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!