How to update Plex Media Server with Portainer

• Hello,

I have recently upgraded my NAS from OMV 4 to 5 and now using Portainer to maintain the docker images.

I have previously been running Watchtower to update the containers and that appears to have been working correctly, except for Plex.

Now that I am on OMV 5, what is the best way to continue updating the containers?

For Plex, I have tried both linuxserver/plex and plexinc/pms-docker, but both appear to not be updating the version on Plex from 1.20.3.3401.

I have tried using the recreate option in Portainer, but that didn't appear to update the system.

I believe I am using the correct tag (latest) and I also have a plex pass account so should be able to get the most up to date version available.

Is there something I am missing in terms of updating this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

koppa

Is watchtower updating your other containers?

Regardless, what image is your Plex server using? I don't use Plex, but I seem to recall it mentioned several times here that users should be using the bionic image, due to some issue w/ another one of the images.

• KM0201

I believe watchtower is updating the other containers. However I only upgraded to OMV 5 today so have yet to confirm if that is going to continue through Portainer.

The image for plex server I am using is latest. What is the easiest way to update this to bionic?

• Offizieller Beitrag

KM0201

I believe watchtower is updating the other containers. However I only upgraded to OMV 5 today so have yet to confirm if that is going to continue through Portainer.

The image for plex server I am using is latest. What is the easiest way to update this to bionic?

If you installed with docker-compose or with a stack compose file.. you can just change your image that you pull

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex (see version tags)

and then redeploy the stack or docker-compose file.

If you didn't use docker-compose or stacks...

I *THINK*...

Go to Portainer, click on the container in question, and click Duplicate/Edit in the upper right

On the first page you'll see "image".. try renaming appending that from :latest to :bionic

Then scroll down and click deploy container. Once it restarts, see if it is running the Bionic image on the containers list.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I always used :latest in my stack and then refreshed the container in Portainer when notified of an update.

Update: I’m sorry. I meant to say restarted the container, not refreshed. Browsers are refreshed. Containers are restarted. :sleeping:

• I am using the amd64 linuxserver image, :latest tag. All I do to update to the latest Plex software version is to restart the container whenever Plex notifies me that an update is available and I notice the message. Plex checks for a newer version every time the container starts. If one is available it is downloaded into the container and installed, then started.

The plexinc/pms-docker can be made to work in a similar fashion, but a specific image must be used and it must be specifically configured to behave this way. Using the :latest tag is not correct. It will not give you a self updating container. Read the image docs for how to set this up.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• All I do to update to the latest Plex software version is to restart the container

I have tried doing that through portainer and when I reload plex, it still comes up with the same version and saying there is an update.

Even restarting the NAS itself doesn't appear to update plex.

Is there something else I can try?

• From https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex :

Valid settings for VERSION are:-

IMPORTANT NOTE:- YOU CANNOT UPDATE TO A PLEXPASS ONLY (BETA) VERSION IF YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN WITH A PLEXPASS ACCOUNT

• docker: Let Docker handle the Plex Version, we keep our Dockerhub Endpoint up to date with the latest public builds. This is the same as leaving this setting out of your create command.
    • latest: will update plex to the latest version available that you are entitled to.
    • public: will update plexpass users to the latest public version, useful for plexpass users that don't want to be on the bleeding edge but still want the latest public updates.
    • <specific-version>: will select a specific version (eg 0.9.12.4.1192-9a47d21) of plex to install, note you cannot use this to access plexpass versions if you do not have plexpass.

I think that by default the VERSION parameter is docker (VERSION=docker) which means that the plex will remain at the version in the container. In this case, you need to update to linuxserver / plex: latest.

If you want to update the plex in the container then choose: VERSION=latest or VERSION=public and restart the container.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Public is what I have set. Updated my Plex yesterday with just a restart of the container.

• I'm not sure if i'm doing this wrong, but I have added a version environment detail, set to latest and restarted the container and yet nothing appears to change with the plex server.

The image appears to be correct, currently set to linuxserver/plex:latest

I'm still trying to figure out this docker/portainer system so any basic tips on how to get it updating would be great.

• Offizieller Beitrag

koppa take a look at these two guides by macom :

How to install Plex with docker-compose

Use Docker-compose in Portainer

I don’t have the titles exact but the links are good. My guess is you are building Plex in the Containers tab of Portainer. There’s nothing wrong with that. But if you learn how to create the container in the Stacks tab of Portainer (better yet, using docker-compose in the command line) it’s much easier to adjust and redeploy. That does not fix your problem now but in the long run it will make deployment easier.

Now, your problem at hand:

Go to your Containers and find the line that reads "plex" and click on the word by the check box on the left.

That gives you the following screen. Click on the button "Duplicate/restart"

Click on the Env tab and you will see the below view. Make sure the "Name" just reads VERSION and the "value" just reads public

When finished, click the "deploy" button. That should work.

• Thanks Agricola for the reply

Unfortunately I did everything mentioned and still appears nothing is changing on the plex application.

It almost feels like plex is/has been installed some other way and the portainer/docker installation is not doing anything.

My next step is to remove the container completely and see if plex stops working.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Obviously there is something I am not seeing. Even though I deployed Plex from the terminal using docker-compose. When I see there is an available update, I go to Portainer and restart the container causing it to update. It works for me every time.

• I have tried doing that through portainer and when I reload plex, it still comes up with the same version and saying there is an update.

Even restarting the NAS itself doesn't appear to update plex.

Is there something else I can try?

Restart the container and look at the container log for clues. Here is my log file after a restart:

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Restart the container and look at the container log for clues. Here is my log file after a restart:

koppa Click on the little blue page icon next to your plex container.

• I like Dozzle for reading container logs. Definitely worth a look.

--

• A restart doesn't work for me either. But I found another solution: In Portainer go to the container list. Then click on 'plex' to see the container details. Then you just have to click 'Recreate' in the top bar. The container will be rebuilt with the latest Plex version. All settings, content, etc. are retained.

• Thanks all for the help.

After my last message I left it for a day and came home yesterday to plex having been updated to the latest version.

I'm sure not exactly what caused it to finally update, but glad it has and appears to be working fine (besides losing some config and show details during the upgrade)

• The issue is that new versions are announced for plexpass but all distros see it. So if you are on public there is a period where it says there is an update but you won't get it with restarting. if you have plexpass then use the tag plexpass. That will get you latest every time you restart.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!