• Offizieller Beitrag

Fritzbox

I know these are readily available in Germany there is also a UK version, in the coming months my broadband is coming up for renewal and I have been looking into another provider in the UK. One I am particularly interested in uses the Fritzbox 7530 as it's provided router.

This must be the only company in the UK to do this, the only thing that would concern me is the wireless coverage, I'm currently with BT whilst there routers are OK their wireless coverage is the best on the market. The downside is the home router is locked down you cannot configure dns, whereas the business router, which I have is more configurable.

What's the wifi coverage on the Fritzbox and is it possible to configure your own dns i.e. using pi-hole with unbound which I use on a RPi

Many thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

is it possible to configure your own dns i.e. using pi-hole with unbound which I use on a RPi

I do. Problem might be, that if you get the FritzBox from your provider it might come with a different firmware.

For a house with three floors I have the FritzBox in the basement and a repeater (FritzRepeater 1200) in the second floor. The house is fully covered.

The great thing about avm products is, that they just work.

https://en.avm.de/

• Offizieller Beitrag

Problem might be, that if you get the FritzBox from your provider it might come with a different firmware

That's a thought, I have used Billion in the past and whilst firmware updates are 'pushed' out you have to be careful which one you use in relation to the country you're in.

For a house with three floors I have the FritzBox in the basement and a repeater (FritzRepeater 1200) in the second floor.

:thumbup: that would suggest for me, the coverage would be as good as I'm getting now.

One more thing :) can you separate the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless bands, I currently don't have mine set to 'band steering' i.e. the two bands are linked and the client determines which band to use. So mine are on two SSID's.

Thanks a lot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

One more thing :) can you separate the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless bands, I currently don't have mine set to 'band steering' i.e. the two bands are linked and the client determines which band to use. So mine are on two SSID's.

Yes you can. You can have either the same SSID or different ones. Had to check, did not know this is possible.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can have either the same SSID or different ones

That's good to know, the only reason I separate mine is that some older wireless adapters have trouble sustaining a band steering connection, and newer ac adapters still connect to 2.4Ghz. So instead of the client setting the connection you can set it manually in the client, reduces the traffic on one network.

Band steering is OK but works better within a mesh setup as the mesh load balances client connections on an AP.

• Hello,

I do run Pi-Hole and Ad-Guard on two different Pi's. Yes you can configure two different DNS (IPv4 and IPv6 if you provider supports it) under the tab provider access credentials or something like it, I don't know what the english tab is named. Also in the DHCP settings is a tab to configure two DNS, also IPv4 and IPv6, to be rolled out to the clients.

As macom wrote, provider fritz!boxes have different firmware and often not all features are enabled. Better buy a retail box.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!