PC to TV as monitor

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, title is somewhat vague, but about 12+ months ago I built a PC for a disabled person who had requested help on local neighbourhood web site, she was hoping to just upgrade her current machine.

After an initial visit her current machine was so old an upgrade was never on the table, so she went down a new build, which cost her sub £350, this included a Gigabyte m'board and an AMD Ryzen 5 2200G, needless to say she was thrilled with it. But like most users they start messing around :( she's replaced the perfectly good Asus monitor with a TV (albeit the TV is much larger) and installed AVG Internet Security and AVG VPN :cursing:

The AVG install still needs sorting, the machine is running slower than her old machine and it has an SSD as it's main boot drive.

But the real issue is the TV, she's connected the TV to the PC/VGA input which is fine, except for whatever reason when you switch the PC on the TV fails to receive a signal, press the power button off then back on, it works ?(

So having gone round to resolve a software install issue, which I have sorted I am now left with the output from the PC to TV, tried an HDMI connection -> 8| this throws the display into 640x480, I later discovered that the colour management had been set for the Asus :cursing:

Unchecked that and I am now getting closer to a display of 1900 x ? close, but the taskbar at the bottom of the screen is just visible (top edge only) and there are two black vertical bars either side.

Currently I've left it connected to the TV's PC/VGA input (at least the image is OK) and come home to do some research, then slapped myself for not getting the model number of the TV, all I know it's a Toshiba.

During the research some older flat screen TV's have a setting for something called overscan or depending on the manufacturer could be, picture mode, screen fit, anyway you get the picture ;)

Has anyone ever come across this behaviour regarding HDMI input to older TV's as this is a new on me.

• [EDIT]

I assume the OS is Windows, correct?!?

The model would help alot, :P :D

Most Flats, have an option on the Display Menu to set it for PC, that will sort the overscan.

When there's no option, you can adjust the resolution on the PC.

Either it works with a "standard" resolution, or you can expand or shrink the resolution.

You set a 1920x (should be 1080) which is FullHD) but the Flat Toshiba might be only HDReady (1366x768).

HD Ready vs Full HD - Which One Is Best? [September 2021] (aboe.in)

You can play with the settings on the PC until you find the best one.

[EDIT=2]

For what it's worth, this is the model I have:

32" - 32W3963DG - Toshiba TV (toshiba-tv.com)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I assume the OS is Windows, correct?!?

Sure is :)

Most Flats, have an option on the Display Menu to set it for PC, that will sort the overscan.

This one I assume does in so much you can select the input, so even selecting HDM1 or HDM2 the screen doesn't 'auto fit' and the Windows display options are fixed. What I didn't check was the Radeon GUI for the graphics settings, but I don't think that the Vesa 8 can be set from there.

The PC/VGA option when connected via the PC's VGA runs at 1280x1024

You can play with the settings on the PC until you find the best one.

Tried that, there isn't one that fits the 'whole screen', that's the part that makes no sense.

• even selecting HDM1 or HDM2 the screen doesn't 'auto fit'

I have this a lot of times when staying in places with old LCDs (not only Toshiba but also other brands).

The way I "solve" it, is by setting a personal resolution on the Laptop Graphics (although it's Nvidia)

Then, I test several aproximated values (multiple of 2).

For eg, if I'm missing several Horizontal Lines, I would change the resolution to 1920x1060 or other value until it "fits" the screen.

. What I didn't check was the Radeon GUI for the graphics settings, but I don't think that the Vesa 8 can be set from there.

See if it has a Menu to set a "personal" resolution.

Right Click on the Desktop:

If you can get the model of the TV and also, a picture of the remote (if it's still the original) it will help to sort any "howto" fix it, ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Right Click on the Desktop:

Actually the Radeon software does have that option, but yesterday after over 2 hours I was running out of ideas and needed to leave it alone and re think.

Doing something like this at home is easy you can pick it up, put down, ask on a forum like here, but when you're in someone's house it feels like an intrusion even though you're trying to help them out.

I shall probably go back tomorrow and start by locating the TV's model number and see if there is an online manual, but thanks for the suggestions so far, much appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Years ago (maybe 15 or 20?) The same thing happened to me with a Pioneer television. At the time, the desired resolution was 1280x720p and the image was cut off at the edges if connected via HDMI.

I solved it on the TV itself, the menu had an option to enlarge or reduce the image, I do not remember the name of this function. If you entered that mode, you just had to press up and down to make the image taller or lower until you adjust the height. Then left and right to make the image wider or narrower, until the image fits the screen. Perhaps that television has that function.

I experienced the same thing on the television of family and friends, sometimes the way to do it was with scroll bars, but always the same solution, adapt the visible screen to the resolution sent by the PC.

Changing the output resolution of the PC ended up giving problems, I do not remember exactly why. Maybe when you play a video it is sent in a different format and the TV did not recognize it well and the movie was cut off. This television must be very old.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well this has proved to be a challenge, TV's are not as intuitive as a Monitor when connecting to a PC :huh:

TV model is a Toshiba 32V502B found a manual which helped a lot;

Changed the Mode to Dynamic, and the Screen/Zoom to Full, this would allow 1920x1080 to display correctly, changing to 16:9 made the display too big and probably would have meant changing the display setting.

So TV;

Mode = Dynamic

Zoom = Full

Nothing else changed, brightness, contrast etc changing any of those made the display worse.

Then used the Radeon Software (ignoring Windows -> Settings -> Display) to adjust, brightness, contrast, hue, saturation etc and set the connection to HDMI.

The only thing she has to do is to use Ctrl and the mouse wheel to zoom in slightly to view text in a browser, but she couldn't believe the difference in colour depth and how sharp the image was.

At least she won't have to invest in a 32" monitor which she was prepared to do, me on the other hand will not let go until I have exhausted all possibilities with what I have.

Many thanks for the pointers guys as it helped me look at this from a different perspective.

• Glad that you sorted out. ;)

Funny as it is, traveled yesterday and the same happened on the B&B I'm staying.

A not so old Panasonic LCD and the image was cropped everywhere.

After having a hard time to change the language from Dutch to English, I found a sub-menu on the "Display" area that allowed me to switchoff the "Overscan".

As soon I did it, the image fitted nicely on the screen.

At least, this time, I didn't had to "play" with settings all over the place, :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I found a sub-menu on the "Display" area that allowed me to switchoff the "Overscan".

That apparently is what you have to do on older models, I have two Sony's one is 10 years old and the other is less than 12 months, you can certainly notice the difference in picture quality.

• FWIW, the color space for a TV is probably NTSC while a monitor is probably SRGB, so the colors might be off unless you change the color space in Windows. No matter what the EDID states, you should always try different color spaces first with TV's.

While you've fixed this all up, it can be worth having HDMI repeaters on hand. 1 that doesn't send the EDID and 1 that does. One will stop the TV from trying to read the "correct" EDID and let the TV figure it out, while the other will send a stripped down simple EDID of what the device is sending (not the GPU/computer). Otherwise, you can play with editing EDID's, but I don't know how this works on Windows.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!