Can't create file system on RPi 4/ 64 bit bullseye/ boot from USB

• I've started to see the limitations of support for 32 bit arm dockers for a raspberry pi, plus it is mostly a PITA of sd cards of corrupting all the time. So I recently moved all my data to my synology and now I can play around if I can run 64 bit arm containers in this thing.

So I installed the 64 bit lite version of bullseye booting off from a 5tb usb hard drive. I configured /dev/sda2 from 1.5gb to around 100gb. Installed OMV 6 and everything looks okay except for the file systems. Under the Strorage -> Disks , it list /dev/sda 5tb hard drive but when I go to Storage -> File Systems, it is blank. Is there a reason why this is happening?

• I don't understand what you've done. You have installed OMV on a 5TB USB disk.

I configured /dev/sda2 from 1.5gb to around 100gb

Did you make a 100GB partition?...

The best thanks to the help provided is to report what your solution was. The next one will thank you :thumbup:

• chente

Added the Label OMV 6.x (RC1)
  • You need to create a new additional filesystem for your data..

The OS partition is not usable for shared folders unless you are using the sharerootfs plugin.

PITA of sd cards of corrupting all the time.

Did you use the flashmemory plugin and a quality card? If you have only the OS on the SD card there should be no issue for a couple of years.

• /dev/sda1 is the boot partition /dev/sda2 is the partition for the RPI OS, it used to be 1.5gb and I've extended to 100gb.

Please, reconsider how you'll be using OMV.

As macom said, with the flash-memory plugin, a good SD card (or a USB stick) will last a long time.

The plugin will reduce drasticallly the writings on it.

And OMV on SBCs, when is installed, already activate's the plugin.

And with the advantage that you can clone the OS from time to time in order to have a failsafe backup of the running system.

Also, OMV will only use way less than 10Gb so, a few 16Gb/32Gb Sd cards/USB sticks are cheap to have.

The 5Tb drive will be your DATA drive only.

If the OS has any problems, it's only a matter of swapping the OS card/stick with a cloned one and everything will be back online.

Even if you start fresh with a new OS card, your DATA drive is untouched.

Just some thoughts, ;)

• Okay, thanks. Just not crazy about booting off sd card which is not reliable. When I had the last build of my raspberry pi, I have a weekly backup of my sd card and occasionally I had to use it to restore.

• Okay, thanks. Just not crazy about booting off sd card which is not reliable. When I had the last build of my raspberry pi, I have a weekly backup of my sd card and occasionally I had to use it to restore.

If you don't like that solution you can use a small SSD in a USB box. At least that way they are independent disks, and in this way it is also easy to make a clone.

This thread clears up many doubts about this topic SSD or USB Key?

The best thanks to the help provided is to report what your solution was. The next one will thank you :thumbup:

Edited once, last by chente ().

• I have been using SD cards (Arm) and USB sticks (AMD64) since Sept. of 2018 - with the flashmemory plugin - and I have never had one fail. Looking at the tag reminds me it’s past time for a new backup. A pair of sandisk ultra flair 32gb flash drives are only $18 US on Amazon. Buy a pair and learn how to back up your system drive. Same if you are running SD cards on an Arm board.

Easy data backup: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV 5 (current) - Thinkserver TS140, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Navidrome, Ubooquity, Digikam, Wetty, & Heimdall - NanoPi M4 (v.1): backups using Rsync and Rsnapshot - Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole - hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2, and VirtualBox: Testing and playing - Mac user converting to Linux, Debian 10 KDE.

• chente

Added the Label resolved

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!