OMV MAY NOT HAVE A DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT !!

• Well he was speaking of a singe package in reply to my post mentioning a certain version (mistakenly as package?).

So I am not sure what darrepac is referring to.

He might mean my install-base and the packages that belong to it as you assume.

• ryecoaaron

Hat den Titel des Themas von „OMV MAY HAVE A DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT !!“ zu „OMV MAY NOT HAVE A DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT !!“ geändert.
  • can somebody link me a script that would work on the desktop version thx
    my pi boots into cli but just because it has xorg means it cant run a web server on it 8(

• Offizieller Beitrag

can somebody link me a script that would work on the desktop version thx

Nope. The conflict is in the openmediavault package itself. So, the script doesn't matter. But I am glad you are taking our advice...

my pi boots into cli but just because it has xorg means it cant run a web server on it 8(

xorg has nothing to do with it. If your system boots to cli, you probably don't have a display manager installed.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Wouldn't apt-get purge <all the display managers> work, if you do not want a desktop anyway?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wouldn't apt-get purge <all the display managers> work, if you do not want a desktop anyway?

It wouldn't do anything if you didn't have a display manager installed. But if you did, it is possible it would uninstall something you want to keep because of dependencies. You could mark them as manually installed if you knew what they were.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Hey,

another question about the conflict between OMV & desktop env:

is it possible to launch only a web browser on X from CLI in order to access to a webtop docker?

if yes? how would you proceed?

thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am not sure what you mean. A server (OMV in this instance) just sits over in the corner without display, keyboard, or mouse. All it does is “serve” content to one or more desktop machines on the network. The server is maintained by a desktop machine on the network, and any server services it may contain is accessed via web browser on a desktop machine. Other than initial setup, I cannot see any use for a monitor (and thus any web browser or a desktop environment) on an OMV install. Besides creating great grief for OMV, a desktop is not necessary.

• I sometimes use to access a desktop environment on the server via remote (never locally on the server) to start downloads directly on the server on different platforms like IRC. I looked into different ways of starting these downloads from CLI or by some kind of backend being placed on the server but all of it didnt work out well. The most convenient for me was to have a dekstop environment and just do it from there remotely.

Whenever the server is broken and does not boot up, having a monitor connected to it also makes sense btw. But honestly my machine does not have a monitor on it. It sits in the cellar as described by you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I looked into different ways of starting these downloads from CLI or by some kind of backend being placed on the server but all of it didnt work out well.

to start download:

ssh into the machine

start screen (or tmux)

start download with wget or curl or whatever

ctrl-A then D to detach from screen

logout

to check on progress:

ssh into machine

reattach to screen session (screen -list then screen -r SESSION_NUMBER)

You can have as many screen sessions as your want.

• I know all of this. But i am not downloading from a website.

One service i use is IRC with direct links from certain websites (autofills channels and XDCC command).

I tried Weechat and such but it all doesnt work very well compared to the desktop comfort.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know all of this.

That's fine but other people will see your post and think having a desktop installed on OMV is the only way to download things.

One service i use is IRC with direct links from certain websites (autofills channels and XDCC command).

I tried Weechat and such but it all doesnt work very well compared to the desktop comfort.

None of that means you need a desktop on OMV. ssh into the box with x forwarding enabled. Then run the gui part on your desktop system. If that system is running Windows, there are xservers for windows and putty supports x forwarding. browsers and other things work just fine this way.

There is anoter use case for me. If i want to make sure i dont get tracked down in the company network i open a VPN and then a remote session to my OMV server to surf certain sites from there.

Run firefox docker that has guacamole installed. Access this from anywhere on the internet. Or run xbuntu in a vm or docker with xrdp installed. Then guacamole in docker which will connect to xubuntu. Access anywhere on the internet. I do the second option.

• I never said i have a desktop installed (although i might have, who knows ;) ). The docker from the first post in this thread can be used fine for all of what i described.

I am just saying it is more convenient for me and i answered what the reasons could be as this has been asked.

So folks. If you think you need a desktop environment: dont do it! Otherwise use docker as described in the beginning of this thread.

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!