Backup of the system SSD and restore to a new SSD

• Hey guys. So, I have a 20Gb SSD with my OMV system on it and it works fine, but has some errors showing in scrutiny (you can see the screenshot), so I want to replace it with a new one. So, in Windows I would just clone this SSD and restore it to a new SSD, but in Linux/OMV I guess it's not that simple, as always. So, what's the best way to do this? I've tried the guide on the link below, but right on the step 2 I was stuck, because I don't have the Clonezilla tab in the Backup section. I guess that guide is old, and the things have changed. My system is ZFS with 3 hard drives for data. So, any suggestions?

Headless Backup of the System Drive with Clonezilla

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have a look at omv-extras >> kernel

There you should find the possibility to boot into clonezilla.

If cloning a drive with issues makes sense is another issue ;)

EDIT: in OMV6 install the kernel plugin

• In the shell it's a one liner but don't try this if you are not 1000% positive about the device labels because dd is unforgivingly and unconditionally destructive with its output. Or use a heavy program like Clonezilla.

Code
    sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M status=progress

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I discovered when upgrading to OMV6 that my OMV System drive (An old spinning drive) was reporting bad sectors in OMV....

Since the drive was an old 250GB and I had a small unused 30GB SSD I needed to clone it over as well...I use a CLONEZILLA LIVE CD in the past

to image my system drive but I know how difficult it is to get Clonezilla to restore to a smaller drive (-k and -icds settings never work for me)...

I use Acronis 2016 on my Windows machines so I thought I'd give it a go imaging and restoring with Acronis Recovery CD. I found that Acronis

works great for Linux for cloning bigger to smaller drive without the headaches that Clonezilla does. I did find that when making the image

NOT to compress the image as that will cause a bad image. Just pick to not compress the image then restore the image to whatever drive

you want (bigger or smaller). Works perfectly. I'll be using Acronis now rather than Clonezilla to image my new OMV6 system disk.

• So, you attached your OMV system drive to your Windows PC and did the cloning?

No...I simply attached an external USB drive to my OMV Machine and booted it with the Acronis TrueImage 2016 Recovery CD like I would with a Windows machine....Click to Backup the OMV System Disk to the external USB drive and in settings make sure NOT to compress the image. When it's done put your new drive in that you want to RESTORE to and select the image that you made...And Bob's your Uncle....You have a new working OMV System drive. Worked great for going from a spinning 250GB to a 30GB SSD.

• macom

Hat das Label OMV 6.x (RC1) hinzugefügt.
  • Nabukodonosor

Hat das Label von OMV 6.x (RC1) auf OMV 5.x geändert.
  • Are you sure, your os disk is a zfs drive?

Dont destroy your data

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• No...I simply attached an external USB drive to my OMV Machine and booted it with the Acronis TrueImage 2016 Recovery CD like I would with a Windows machine....Click to Backup the OMV System Disk to the external USB drive and in settings make sure NOT to compress the image. When it's done put your new drive in that you want to RESTORE to and select the image that you made...And Bob's your Uncle....You have a new working OMV System drive. Worked great for going from a spinning 250GB to a 30GB SSD.

Seems lacking to me that you did not image from one disk directly to another but had to create an intermediate image file. Does Acronis not support this?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Seems lacking to me that you did not image from one disk directly to another but had to create an intermediate image file. Does Acronis not support this?

Hey gderf....That's not how I normally use it as I'm normally creating a backup image...

But I booted the Acronis Recovery CD to check and yeah you can CLONE partitions from one drive to another...

Like I said I normally just use it to make backup images so I used it like that (since I wanted a backup image anyway of my new OMV6 System disk and when I discovered I had sector errors on the old spinning 250GB system drive it worked great to simply restore the image to the new 30GB SSD without fuss or muss (Unlike Clonezilla where you have to resize partitons then use the -k and -icds options and then pray to the IT gods it works...and most times it doesn't)...Like I said I'm switching to using Acronis now to image my OMV system drive...

Regarding the ZFS complication....If a normal backup restore image does not work for Nabukodonosor you can also try a sector by sector backup to image as well (Although that will take a lot more time to create the image)...

• Be careful if you clone partitions from one drive to another. It will not copy the boot sector that way.

--

• Sorry, for hijacking this thread, but I try to do something similar.

I want to clone my 60GB OMV-SSD to a 32GB USB 3.0 Stick.

I want to do this because I want to try certain things and don't want to mess up my original OMV-SSD and currently I'm lacking a second spare SSD.

How did you do this with Acronis and what would be the step-by-step way with Clonezilla in comparison?

Thank you in advance!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!