Rant on OpenMediaVault

• I am a user of openmediavault which I successfully installed on a Terramaster NAS and have been using for the last year or so.

Alongside omv I have been installing several other packages, namely gitea for dealing with source code, mysql server and a wackowiki for storing documents, directus for dealing with collections, syncthing for synchronizing folders across devices and several other things which make my NAS a good information radiator for my current uses.

I realize however that I am using 1% of omv software which for me is basically a linux distro which shares at startup a series of folder via SAMBA.

Maybe it has some RAID and disk utilities I am not currently using but nothing more for me.

What omv seriously lacks in my opinion (and incredibly all open source competitors such as TrueNas, FreeNas etc) are the functionalities for quickly browsing its storage while on the go: that is a web interface to access documents, photos and quickly search/browse them.

There are so many open source PHP file browsers out there that I am surprised none of these made into any of the NAS open source solutions out there.

At present I have a nice network storage server which I can browse via my Linux desktop but as soon as I am somewhere else with a smartphone or with a work laptop I have no way to access these files via web browser.

My rant has finished, good sunday everyone.

• Docker-> swag-> whatever container you need to browse the file types you want

Enjoy the Sunday

• browsing its storage while on the go

Are you aware of the data security implications this would have on a computer not maintained by IT pros?
    Guess this is the reason for no freeware having this feature out-of-box because it would end in a disaster.

Technically it is feasible but expensive to maintain.

Just my 2 cents.

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• You have to think about omv as just the os to setup the system and permissions. If you want access to shares you can setup something like next cloud to specific shares that are safe to access. You certainly don’t want to give your users free access to day your backups and snapshots.

• Are you aware of the data security implications this would have on a computer not maintained by IT pros?
    Guess this is the reason for no freeware having this feature out-of-box because it would end in a disaster.

Technically it is feasible but expensive to maintain.

Just my 2 cents.

to be honest I have a file browser and a mini NAS on my 120€ Fritzbox and it works pretty well if you put a USB key on its data port, and most other commercial NAS products offer this functionality without IT pros in the equation.

So I honestly don't see any security implications which make it unfeasible, as for being expensive to maintain I don't understand if you mean expensive for the developer community or for the end users.

• You have to think about omv as just the os to setup the system and permissions. If you want access to shares you can setup something like next cloud to specific shares that are safe to access. You certainly don’t want to give your users free access to day your backups and snapshots.

I see what you mean but NextCloud is damn difficult to set up and mantain, OMV is too minimalistic in my opinion to be defined as a NAS OS.

In the end I will install something like https://filebrowser.org/ over OMV but having it included inside OMV would be a real deal breaker.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV is too minimalistic in my opinion to be defined as a NAS OS.

As someone who uses enterprise SANs and NASes, I disagree with statement 100%.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I see what you mean but NextCloud is damn difficult to set up and mantain, OMV is too minimalistic in my opinion to be defined as a NAS OS.

In the end I will install something like https://filebrowser.org/ over OMV but having it included inside OMV would be a real deal breaker.

This is really simply, someone needs to contribute it as OMV plugin. OMV provides everything to extend it; the only problem is nobody wants to contribute. OMV is OSS, so there is absolutely nothing that should stop volunteers.

• Offizieller Beitrag

NAS on my 120€ Fritzbox and it works pretty well if you put a USB key on its data port, and most other commercial NAS products  (= +400€ ?) offer this functionality without IT pros in the equation.

OMV =  0€

Just a thought.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe I'm not really clear on the OP's problem... but.. Filebrowser literally takes about 2min to set up in docker. If you've already got swag/reverse proxy configured, it takes about another 2min to reverse proxy through your domain for remote access. Maybe a 10min setup if you have to set up Filebrowser and swag and a domain. At that point, you essentially have SMB in a file browser.

I mean I guess a plugin could be useful, but unnecessary given how easy the container is to set up.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You're all missing the point;

What omv seriously lacks in my opinion (and incredibly all open source competitors such as TrueNas, FreeNas etc) are the functionalities for quickly browsing its storage while on the go

this isn't just about omv this is ALL open source nas solutions, to hell with the security he wants access 'on the go'

• So I honestly don't see any security implications which make it unfeasible, as for being expensive to maintain I don't understand if you mean expensive for the developer community or for the end users.

wish you good luck in fighting against ransomware. With "expensive" I refer to the effort involved for both OSS maintainers and end users.

Security reports indicate that a security vulnerability is open for many years before it gets eventually reported and fixed.

AN analogy from the "real world" helps sometimes to understand the "real" issue.

Would you show 500$ or € cash in public on a crowded unknown place?

A recommended reading to understand the technical reasons is https://blog.tuxcare.com/secur…pen-source-technical-debt Note: the same issues apply to commercially sold products, build on closed source!

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Offizieller Beitrag

You're all missing the point;

this isn't just about omv this is ALL open source nas solutions, to hell with the security he wants access 'on the go'

The fact all open source products lack this, should probably make the OP take some time to reflect on his rant.

Remote file access can be done securely.. but most open source products value security over ease of use so it's not enabled "by just checking a box"... Commercial products.. their goal is to make money so they have to make ease of use a primary concern vs security. The fact Synology's are constantly getting hit with some new ransomware should make the OP see this.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Filebrowser literally takes about 2min to set up in docker.

What container do you use?

And OP, Nextcloud is not that hard to install. It’s not a “one button” job but … good grief!! macom ’s Guide makes it where anyone can deploy Nextcloud securely in about 30 minutes.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What container do you use?

https://github.com/filebrowser/filebrowser

Setting up the reverse proxy is super simple is well.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks KM0201. Let’s see, I have something on 8080. I’ll have to move that up a couple three notches.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks KM0201. Let’s see, I have something on 8080. I’ll have to move that up a couple three notches.

Yeah, obviously OMV runs on 80, and 8080 was just the first thing that came to mind when I needed a port.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, when I first saw it i saw the 'watchtower' and figured that was a slip. Super easy to set up. I haven't tried the reverse proxy yet because i set it up on a test machine and don't have Swag set up on it, but I did notice that Swag has a filebrowser.subdomain.conf file. It should be a breeze.

Is there a way to give a user access to some folders but not all folders? I assume it has to do with the scope entry, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!