Plex without Docker or OMV Extra (already installed "next to" OMV)

• Hey there.

I'm creating a new subject because this one is solved : Install Plex Media Server without Docker

I'm a Plex user for four years now. It was running on a raspberry 4 and decided to redo a clean install with OMV 6 and Plex on the same RPI4.

In the last thread, they mentionned this tutorial (https://www.linuxbabe.com/debi…a-server-debian-10-buster) that I followed to install plex. I confirm that it is still up to date and very well explained. I used it many times last past year and it was always a success, except yesterday with OMV :(

Everything is working fine separately : Plex running, OMV6 access file sharing etc... but Plex can't find any file in my media library.

I might do something wrong in Plex with the users right or something else.

Do I have to create a Plex user in OMV6 ? or put a specific privilege when sharing the folder ? Is the place from my media file important ? It is Located here : /srv/diskname/plex_library

I shared the plex_library folder from OMV, I can access it from any other computer. Plex sees the plex_library and allow me to add it as a library, but still can't find any file inside.

I used this command through ssh to set the corrects rights to plex user, as mentionned in the plex install tutorial : sudo setfacl -m u:plex:rx /srv/diskname/plex_library

Thanks for help

• macom

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Why "without docker or omv-extras"?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi

I’ve seen on other threads and guides that the « common way » to intall Plex and make it work with OMV is to install it through a plugin available with « omv-extra » or through docker. I might be wrong or maybe I misunderstood something …

Honestly, I didn’t searched/read a lot about these options, because my setup is already working. Do you think that the way I choose to install Plex and OMV might be a problem ?

As I explained, I think that I just have a « plex user rights » issue and would appreciate help to resolve it :)

Ty

Ice

• There is no longer an OMV plugin for Plex. It has been deprecated in favor to recommend docker. A stand alone install into the OS via the Plex deb package is also possible.

The overwhelming vast majority of problems users have with Plex is that the ownership and permissions of the files and folders it needs to read and write to are not correct.

The best source of information about the above problem is available directly from the Plex.tv support forum pages.

https://support.plex.tv/articl…-linux-permissions-guide/

An additional potential complication that can come with a deb package install into the OS is that the default installed to location of the Plex metadatabase directory will be on the OS drive under /var. If you have a small OS drive and a media collection that is larger or grows to be large over time, the metadatabase can grow to the point of filling your OS drive. When this happens everything within OMV will become broken. See:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/moving-pms-library/197342

A similar complication can occur if you run any dockers on OMV and have allowed the Docker storage path to be the default under /var.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Thanks for your answer.

Tried to change permissions etc. But still not working.

I might do something wrong with users right. I tried to follow this guide (see "Set up" part) :

Externer Inhalt gist.github.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Tried to set plex as owner of my media file, still not working :(

Do I have to set the "pi" account or the "admin" account" from OMV as member of the plex group ?

• Offizieller Beitrag
  • Ok, finally found a solution. I created a group "multimedia" and set it as owner of my Media Folder, then add plex and admin members to this group. Tried this before but I only added plex to the group, I think adding admin solved the problem.

Solved, thanks for your help !

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!