Patch Error when running update on fresh OMV6

• When I ran my first update on a recently installed OMV6.0-34 amd64 I noticed following error scrolling by in the update window:

Already saw another thread reporting similar errors but not exactly the same. Unfortunately I neglected to look for the mentioned files immediately and after the next reboot they were gone from /tmp/. But should be easily reproducible on a test machine/vm.

Is this something I should be worried about? :/

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope, you can ignore it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Mr Smile

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Wait a day or so and try the update again or you can try forcing it by updating by hand in the shell.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Wait a day or so and try the update again or you can try forcing it by updating by hand in the shell.

Deleted my second question from this (resolved) thread just before you answered. :saint:  :S

But anyway thanks for your answer. I'm not in a hurry.

Just wanted to know why this is happening in OMV6. In OMV5 I don't remember any held back updates.

• I have seen it several times in OMV 6. I don't know why it happens though.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Nope, you can ignore it.

I got a similar error today when updating the openmediavault package:

ryecoaaron Can you please explain in simple words whats going on here and why this can be ignored?

Looks to me as if some intended update changes could not be applied. I'm asking because ignoring repeated error messages whithout knowing whats wrong doesn't feel right.

• Part of the updating process requires patching some files unless they have been already been previously patched.

If previously patched files are detected then the patching process is skipped and an ERROR is returned.

The source of confusion appears to be that an ERROR is returned, and perhaps this would be better received if a WARNING was issued instead.

Does this clear things up for you?

--

• Thanks for taking your time but honestly it doesn't.

The Error Message says 'reversed or previously applied'. I still have no idea what patches these are. Unluckily I did a reboot after that like the thread opener. So I'm left a bit in a limbo that some patches I have no clue what they do might have been reversed or applied (?!?) to my system so they don't need to be applied again (or at all). You and Ryecoaaron say that this is ok and no reason to be concerned.

But at the same time the developer has chosen to throw an 'ERROR' in case this happens.

You (gderf) state that a 'WARNING' might be better here. I'm not a professional developer or linux admin but from my experience with compilers I'd say, that the meaning of a warning is something like 'some strange event happened, that might break things later on - proceed if you know what you do'.

According to you two this case doesn't apply here, but I have no chance to check this myself.

Either this is an expected event. Then there is no reason for an error or even a warning. Or something is broken or might break and requires the user's attention and understanding.

votdev : Would you please explain, whats the problem here and why this is an error/ no error?

• I got a similar error today when updating the openmediavault package:

ryecoaaron Can you please explain in simple words whats going on here and why this can be ignored?

Looks to me as if some intended update changes could not be applied. I'm asking because ignoring repeated error messages whithout knowing whats wrong doesn't feel right.

could not be aplied because was previosly aplied, so not problem here.

ok: developers can control and avoid to intend to apply a patch if was previosly applied, but this way works. so really not a problem.

• Mr Smile

Hat das Label gelöst entfernt.
  • I also think that throwing an ERROR is a bit excessive, if detecting an applied (or reversed) patch and doing nothing afterwards is the expected behavior anyway. So I'd also like to hear the reason for the output being so excessive like that. :S

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is caused by a package outside of the OMV project Here you get hints where to address your demand. Maybe you can speed up the fix in upstream saltstack.

Thanks for your support.

• This is caused by a package outside of the OMV project Here you get hints where to address your demand. Maybe you can speed up the fix in upstream saltstack.

Thanks for your support.

Thank you so much for pointing me to the right direction. I don't think I'm able to help but at least I understood where the problem comes from.

Sorry to all for being so pushy but the advice to ignore repeated error messages felt so strange to me. (a bit like the advice of getting used to clicking away warning messages in windows on a regular basis :D ).

• Mr Smile

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!