is it possible to go straight from OMV 3 to OMV5 or 6

• Hi ,

I Have an OMV 3 Nas setup with 2 drives and wanted to install version 5 or 6

can i just install to a new USB drive with version 5 or 6 , and then point OMV to the hard drives which were setup from my omv 3 install, or will i have to delete the data and start from scratch ?

I am reading the New guide at present , it is very well written , maybe the answer is in there !

thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can install fresh. You will just have to recreate the users and shares. Existing folders with data can be used for shared folders.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.5

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes , you can install OMV 6 and do not lose data.

Recomended way to do the fresh install whitout the data disk to avoid confusion, and wipe the data disk with the boot code of OMV, once the initial install are done, you can reconect data disk, so OMV can detect it and mount on webGUI.

• wow, thank you , first time user of this forum, that was fast

I spent 2 days waiting on openmediavault irc no-one seems to be visting the irc rooms.

Is there a guide to do a fresh install without the data disk ?

or do you mean that i need to remove the old USB stick with OMV 3.0 and also unplug the 2 HDDs and then install the OMV 6 via the usb drive into ram and onto the USB stick 1st then shutdown and connect the SATA hdds back , restart and point OMV6 to the HDDs ?

also before I can do this maybe I need to resolve the following:

I have put this in the storage/general forum but no replies:

OMV 3.2.0-4 failed to start with the following error

loading please wait...

/dev/md0 has been started with 2 drives

[ 2.920254] EXT4-fs (sdc1): write access unavailable, cannot proceed

mount : mounting /dev/disk/by-uuid/ {hexadecimal number}

failed: invalid argument

mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory

target filesystem doesnt have requested /sbin/init.

No init found. Try passing init = bootarg.

Busybox v1.20.2 (Debian 1: 1.20.0-7) built in shell (ash)

Enter "help" for a list of built in commands

/bin/sh: cant access tty: job control turned off

(initrmfs)

I can type commands here so have access to shell

Here is a picture of the screen showing error and version of OMV + on one of the boot ups i had a strage R! in the LH corner of the screen?

https://imgur.com/a/cu7snUu

Any direction would be helpful , thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes. What raulfg3 said. Disconnect the data drives. I would use a fresh usb stick too. Create using OMV6 iso and Etcher. For OMV6 iso, choose "testing" button here: https://www.openmediavault.org/?page_id=77 The "stable" button downloads OMV5.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The IRC channel has been dead for ages.

Just the normal install guide.. Disconnect your data drives, boot the installer, install to your OS drive, connect your data drives, start setting up your shares, users, etc. again. You might want to check what plugins you're using and seeing what has been ported to OMV 6 and what hasn't (a lot of plugins have went to docker since OMV 3). If you'll be using similar plugins in OMV 6, maybe take a screenshot of it's settings in OMV 3, so when you reconfigure it on OMV 6, you can set it up similarly.

• Ok , its getting interesting, I am still reading the new user guide , has some good tips for pitfalls to watch out for ...

I am stuck , tried different USB sticks and a USB hardrive to install from as well and I keep getting a partition issue and recommendation to restart, this is mentioned in the guide as well .

However, when I restart it jusrt hangs with a cursor flashing and nothing seems to happen , tried it with OMV 5 and OMV 6 , same result.

from the Guide :"

If installing to a USB drive, at this point, it is possible to an error may pop-up regarding partitioning the drive, and recommend a reboot. Follow the recommendation. After the reboot, the partition operation should succeed the 2nd time around."

any suggestions , thanks

PS have disconnected my 2 drives on SATA as instructed

• try to bbot with that bootable USB on other machine to determine if the problem is on the USB device or in the BIOS or your actual hardware.

Perhaps you need to install OMV on a small SSD and boot from it.

• In a Galaxy Far , Far , Away ,

my First nightmare cannot write to partition

figured out after trying alternative hardware (ie laptop) that the installer was hanging after a reboot on the laptop as well. Guessing hardware on destop was ok then... ( thanks to raulfg3 for the advice)

so put installer on the usb flash drive

and plugged in usb 3 external HDD to install OMV to FROM the USB flash drive

ie. source = usb flash drive

destination for OMV = USB External HDD

Ok , the install is now working, partitioning the USB HDD on the laptop.

So now repeating ther process on the original desktop which had the 2x drives connected up with the OMV USB 3.0 originally.

Next , hurdle the installer picks up on the 2 NICs but unable to configure them , no problem , configure them manually via the available options which can only be reached by pressing cancel while the installer is configuring ipv6 etc.

If left to configure then the screen remains blue until intervene and press ctrl +C and then choose the correct NIC card and as the installer tries to configure i select cancel repeatadly until the option to configure network card manually is displayed , select this and setup an ip address in the available ip range of the LAN.

Next ,hurdle unable to access the mirror sites for the packet manager error !

Ok try some solutions, no go , find a ref: https://community.spiceworks.c…om-all-linux-mirror-sites

here the issue was the bios date were wrong , I am thinking no way can that be my issue , and guess what , that was my issue as well , changed time same problem .... ooooooinng and ummmmming , then check BIOS again and find time is ok but had not noticed that the Date is incorrect .... WT?....

Throw a tantrum .... get a new CMOS battery just in case ... forget to keep the power lead connected and summararily loose all bios settings ... going well ...ehmmmm. Calming myself with some meditation.

Enter all bios settings again , have to remember 15 years back to the future.

And start the install again.... going well so far and then bang hits me again ... Bad archive mirror error .... WT ?..

Escape or go back to installer sequence menu and choose , go to shell and ping 192.x.x.1 to make sure the NIC is connected to router and then ping 8.8.8.8 (google to see if NIC can reach the outside world) pinging all ok ... so back to the drawing board !

ok had enough of trying multiple mirrors in deffernet countries , so bypass the mirror and go straight to instlalling grub and lets try the suggestion online of installing and then using the command dpkg-reconfigure apt

enp0s18: 192.168.0.47 is the address shown on OMV start page but cannot connect to GUI.

cannot connect or ping this address although OMV is saying it is on this address

omv-firstaid : reset the web gui configuration

then gives me address 192.168.0.103:80

wow can now connect , phew

omv-upgrade ( to upgrade from CLI) in order to mitigate any issues that may have arisen by not connecting to the mirror ( if i understand this correctly)

OK , finally connect the original HDDs back to the SATA ports on Mobo

Reboot, and wack , bang , wallap , cannot boot as the Bios settings need to be corrected to boot from the USB HDD(OMV) , ok try again.

Yes finally into the GUI , yipee

and can see the HDD x2, now to setup the shares etc as advised by raulfg3 .

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-firstaid : reset the web gui configuration

then gives me address 192.168.0.103:80

wow can now connect , phew

Assuming that is not your old OMV IP address.. You might consider setting a static IP in the omv webuI that points at your old iP, that way you don't have to reconfigure any devices, etc. that may have pointed at that iP.

Assuming you have the same usernames/passwords, etc it will "just work".

• when you say same username and passwords , are you talking about the shared files or login username to the GUI ?

I have a list of the shared folders and usernames and passwords of the users from my OMV3 installation written down

Do i now go into users and replicate the users with their passwords here ?

and do i do into Storage>shared folders and manually add these back in ?

or are you suggesting i change the username and password on the GUI and it will automatically find the users and shared folder info from the original 2xHDDs , somehow ?

thanks

• Hi I have now managed to get the installation working with updates , with OMV extras , thank you again , its been a rollercoaster ride ! but fun, so far.

I have setup the users and the shared folders as far as I can remember from my OMV3 installation but I cannot see the data on my original mirrored disks. (thanks to Tecnodad videos and the New Guide)

I setup the shared folder eg: ace and then under privelages rea/write permission selected

then ACL selected read/write permissions for ace

when selecting ace as the user , selected the mirrored array in File system and then relative path as ace/

then onto services >smb/cifs >shares /settings and enabledthe shared folder , selected Guests Allowed , then save and apply

I can now see the shared folder ace on the windows 10 network but do not see the data which was originally on the DATA HDDs .

Have I missed out a step or incorrectly set this up ?

• Is /ace the folder you used on the raid disk for the files or did you create aa new folder. Remember that Linux is case sensitive.

Regarding file ownership: Linux does not store usernames on the disk, but only user ids. So if you created user AC with userid 1001 on omv3 and created user AC with user id 1000 on omv5 he will no longer be the owner of his files stored on the old disk.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!