Hard drives show up in Disks but not RAID and not mounted

• I'm having some issues implementing RAID with 4 1TB hard drives.

I didn't know that you couldn't have them in Filesystems and stuff beforehand but after some Googling, I deleted the Filesystems and did a quick format on all the drives.

However, they still do not show up in RAID Management after.

I saw this thread and wanted to try using the command (wipefs -a <device>) but cannot because the drives aren't mounted (?) or the pi doesn't see them.

I'm using Pi4 with Dual Quad Sata Hat (https://wiki.radxa.com/Dual_Quad_SATA_HAT).

This is the output from when I do, df -h.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Phanomenal

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
  • macom

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • USB RAID is not supported and as I see that, the hat just converts USB to SATA and may be recoginized als USB anyway.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• In OMV you cannot create RAID with USB connected devices. The sata HAT also uses usb.to connect to the RPi.

USB RAID is not supported and as I see that, the hat just converts USB to SATA and may be recoginized als USB anyway.

Ah, I see. RIP. Is there a work around?

I am assuming this is new to OMV 6? Because in this video he has the same setup and he is able to implement RAID but I believe it is OMV 5.

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• No he hasn't, at 13:30 mins he clearly shows how to create an array using the cli, whilst this is doable it is not supported!!

I didn't watch the video all the way through.

I stopped watching after the setup, he skipped how he set up his RAID until where you've pointed it out.

I understand it is not supported, I thought it was doable on older versions of OMV because he was able to do it (without context mentioned previously).

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

There have been lots of issues with RAID created on USB connected drives. Users lost their data. USB is just not a suitable connection for setting up a RAID.

What do you want to achieve? Maybe we can propose other, more reliable solutions.

• Mergerfs and Snapraid would be a viable alternative.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• There have been lots of issues with RAID created on USB connected drives. Users lost their data. USB is just not a suitable connection for setting up a RAID.

What do you want to achieve? Maybe we can propose other, more reliable solutions.

I understand :).

I wanted to make a relatively small and portable NAS with the Pi 4 and the SATA hat thing I got.

It would be used to store media files for a Plex server. 4 1TBs acting as a singular 4TB disk would be nice instead of 4 individual 1 TBs but like you said it isn't an optimal solution with USB connected drives.

• 4 individual 1 TBs

Use the mergerfs plugin.

It will ser all drives as 1.

• The OMV specifics are in the plugin. But IMHO, the documentation is worth a read before you try to set it up because the answers to almost all the questions that come up are in there.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!