Shutting off stupid sounds

• How do shut off the boot/reboot/etc sounds? Since they use the system speaker it's not like I could simply not plug in speakers. And the UI is so lacking in configuration settings that there obviously isn't anything there either.

Also, how do you shut off the moving background on the WebUI login screen and set it to a STATIC image?

• How often do you reboot your NAS? I hear these sounds every 2-3 months. It’s a server but no pc. They are supposed to tell you when uncommon things happen.

The animation cannot be turned off out of the box. But others asked that too. Might be an idea to create a plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds? What sounds? You’re hearing things (obviously). Stupid sounds? As opposed to smart sounds?

As for the movement, you get what you get and you don’t throw a fit.

Now, to the actual functionality of the server; do you have any real issues you would like to bring up?

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

How do shut off the boot/reboot/etc sounds? Since they use the system speaker it's not like I could simply not plug in speakers. And the UI is so lacking in configuration settings that there obviously isn't anything there either.

Also, how do you shut off the moving background on the WebUI login screen and set it to a STATIC image?

The moving background isn't going to change. There's been discussion on GH about that.

The beep settings.. that's actually going to be in your motherboard BIOS I do believe. OMV does nothing w/ sound since to my knowledge.. That said, I'd use caution before disabling those, if your NAS goes on the fritz those beep codes can be helpful in trouble shooting the problem.. also it's typically the audio alarm for overheating just before shut down, etc.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How do shut off the boot/reboot/etc sounds?

Disable the openmediavault-beep-up and openmediavault-beep-down services. These are meant to tell you when a headless server is started and shutdown without connecting a monitor. Very handy.

The animation cannot be turned off out of the box. But others asked that too. Might be an idea to create a plugin.

A plugin could not control this.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• A plugin could not control this.

No offense but I sometimes have the feeling Volker just says sth is not possible to end any discussion. It’s a simple angular app. He could change it so animations can be controlled afterwards and if he doesn’t want to, a plugin should be able to modify the source and rebuild the gui. Would be kind of cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer, but possible.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No offense but I sometimes have the feeling Volker just says sth is not possible to end any discussion. It’s a simple angular app. He could change it so animations can be controlled afterwards and if he doesn’t want to, a plugin should be able to modify the source and rebuild the gui. Would be kind of cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer, but possible.

This is not Volker saying this. A third party cannot write a plugin that could change it. Sure, OMV could be altered to allow a plugin to do this but that is not the current state.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

But plugins are coming as .deb packages right? Why would it not be possible for it to execute a simple script that technically replaces the built gui files?

Sure that is possible but to remove the animation, you would have to change generated javascript. Any run of omv-mkworkbench (many things including any plugin install do this) would overwrite the change. From the .deb package perspective, it is bad to alter a file owned by another .deb.

• You can "disable" it somehow:

Code
    cd /some/path/you/have/to/find/yourself
    sudo mv benjamin-lehman-GNyjCePVRs8-unsplash.jpg benjamin-lehman-GNyjCePVRs8-unsplash.jpg.disable

This does not disable the animation, but removes the image to be transformed.

Don't forget to clear the browser cache before you compain it is not working.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Pretty sure any OMV updates would undo that.

• Pretty sure any OMV updates would undo that.

Yes, but there is allways the option to write a openmediavault-remove-animated-background-plugin to undo-undo it :)

If I was really bugged by the nice image, I would just put a cron job to do this.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

here is allways the option to write a openmediavault-remove-animated-background-plugin to undo-undo it :)

If I was really bugged by the nice image, I would just put a cron job to do this.

The plugin system doesn't have any trigger to know when the image was overwritten. So, you would have to implement a service to constantly check for it. cron is the answer which means the "plugin" is already written - Scheduled Tasks. The image and animation don't bother me in the least.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Disable the openmediavault-beep-up and openmediavault-beep-down services. These are meant to tell you when a headless server is started and shutdown without connecting a monitor. Very handy.

A plugin could not control this.

I never even noticed those beep services. Interesting. Just figured that was something the board did.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just figured that was something the board did.

The service uses the beep command. If your board doesn't make any sound with the beep command, you probably never noticed. My supermicro and asrockrack boards do make noise.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The service uses the beep command. If your board doesn't make any sound with the beep command, you probably never noticed. My supermicro and asrockrack boards do make noise.

Yeah, mine never beeped, I believe until OMV 4.. since then it has.

It doesn't bother me one way or the other... just figured it was somewhere in the BIOS.

• The image and animation don't bother me in the least.

So you don't care and I don't care, so we leave it to the interested reader who complains about it next time.

Don't waste your valuable time with this kind of ...

• I also got annoying beeps. I removed the pcspkr module with:

# lsmod | grep pcskpr

# rmmod pcspkr

and for future boots, added in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf:

blacklist pcspkr

see Archlinux wiki, page PC speaker.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!