HD cooling

• My server is struggling with the heatwave.

I am using a HP Z440 workstation tower with 4 SAS 3.5’’.

With the ongoing heatwave some of the disks constantly have temperatures of above 52 degrees which I think is not very healthy.

Does anyone have any tips on how to add extra cooling?

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are they 10k or 15k rpm drives? While I like lower temps as well, I have 10k rpm SAS drives in 2U servers in a 22 C data center that average in the upper 40s/low 50s. Some of the drives are 8 years old (hdfs test cluster where we just throw cheap or old storage at it). In my opinion, start/shutdown is harder on drives than those temps.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You need a fan from an air hockey table. I built a render farm in a PVC tube with 4 equal nodes using a single fan from an air hockey table. It just works SO WELL.. Each node has a CPU fan, naturally. But that's it. 4 node render farm through a tube, in a basement, with just an air hockey table fan on one end, and an 80mm case fan on the other end. At an angle, through a randomly placed basement window.

Yeah, it looks janky. But the numbers don't lie.

• Just an FYI, an air hockey fan is like a server fan but larger. It WILL destroy your fingers or hot dogs or whatever else you stick in it. 1 end will be completely exposed when you remove it. The blades are metal and aren't meant to be messed with. You do this at your own risk! If you cut off parts of your body by being stupid, that's your own fault. I warned you.

• Are they 10k or 15k rpm drives? While I like lower temps as well, I have 10k rpm SAS drives in 2U servers in a 22 C data center that average in the upper 40s/low 50s. Some of the drives are 8 years old (hdfs test cluster where we just throw cheap or old storage at it). In my opinion, start/shutdown is harder on drives than those temps.

They are 10k and since they are SAS the never spin down. In fact they sound like an old jet at take off but thats ok. Yes they are also 10 years old but reliable. I always tried to keed them around 36 to 42 degrees. Now they run at 52 to 54. So far they are holding up but I thought some additional cooling could help.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• You need a fan from an air hockey table. I built a render farm in a PVC tube ..

ha. Very inventive. I will check out their size. Thanks

The fans a strong but expensive. I can get 2 of my HDs for the price of the fan, so maybe I risk the temperature exposure :)

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von MarcS ()

• They are 10k and since they are SAS the never spin down. In fact they sound like an old jet at take off but thats ok. Yes they are also 10 years old but reliable. I always tried to keed them around 36 to 42 degrees. Now they run at 52 to 54. So far they are holding up but I thought some additional cooling could help.

Where do you have these temps from? Is it just a feeling or did you read datasheets or talk to an engineer? Because for me as an electrical engineer 54 deg sounds not so much really.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The temp specs for Seagate for example says max 50/60 degrees.

If I am reading that right, that is case temperature in a very exact location. I would bet the case temperature is lower than the temp reported by smart (assuming that is how you are getting it).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Ah that is very helpful! Then you are absolutely right. But I think a few days or a week slightly above 50 degrees is ok.

Maybe you can change something in the server environment? Leave the rack or case open?

• Offizieller Beitrag

That case is designed to have 15K SAS drives in it with a max temp of 35 C. Seems odd they would run that high of a temp. What is the ambient temp? Is the case not getting airflow to it?

• well that case is designed for 2x sas drives. But i stuck 4 inside (into the Floppy and CD Rom space) so I know the cause of the issue. But before this heatwave there was never a problem.

I tried opening the case which doesn't help because the 3 fans inside become ineffective.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are all four drives operating at the higher temp? The drive in the floppy space doesn't surprise that it would run at higher temp. No airflow there. The cdrom space could be replaced with a 5 1/4 to 3 1/2 adapter with a fan but 40mm fans don't do much in those units.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!