Drops in speed during moving or copying inside NAS

• Asus RT-AC86U

has Adaptive QoS (Quality of Service) advertised to support "deliver lag-free online gaming and smooth 4K UHD streaming" .

If I remember correctly in another thread QoS was a reason for bad SMB performance.

Are there other gaming or streaming devices connected?
    How many other WLAN routers are visible at your location?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• has Adaptive QoS (Quality of Service) advertised to support "deliver lag-free online gaming and smooth 4K UHD streaming" .

If I remember correctly in another thread QoS was a reason for bad SMB performance.

Are there other gaming or streaming devices connected?
    How many other WLAN routers are visible at your location?

No, all QoS / traffic analysis features are disabled.

When I'm doing these tests the network is not loaded by other devices.

I still believe the issue is not the network: I get these drops also when I transfer a file inside the NAS from a share to another, which is handled remotely

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• I still believe the issue is not the network: I get these drops also when I transfer a file inside the NAS from a share to another, which is handled remotely

In many cases a share to share transfer that is initiated remotely will actually transfer the data from the server to the remote client and then back to the server. Are you sure this is not happening?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• In many cases a share to share transfer that is initiated remotely will actually transfer the data from the server to the remote client and then back to the server. Are you sure this is not happening?

Yes I am.
    Task Manager shows 0% activity and the transfer speed is above 1 GB/s.
    Has been said before, but the current combination of Windows + Samba supports remote transfers.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

• When I'm doing these tests the network is not loaded by other devices.

As long as WiFi/WLAN is enabled, the router will perform "housekeeping" activities (radar detection, switch channels ,..).

Some of these periodic activities have an impact on network performance.

Since I know that, I've switched to using a network switch for performance testing.

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you recommend another tool, it means that SMB is not up to the task?

It's not really a solution, I don't want to use shell to move files, but File Explorer on my PC.

Don't think of it as a solution but as a tool to isolate the problem. Also look at top or jnettop to see if resources are being overloaded.

• Don't think of it as a solution solution but as a tool to isolate the problem. Also look at top or jnettop to see if resources are being overloaded.

I have Glances running when there's a copy going on. Nothing strange: during a 1 GB/s SMB transfer one core is doing 25% and the others are pretty idle. If you check out my signature you'll agree I'm not lacking resources for a gigabit SMB.

I have done further testing using rsync: rsync -Pa /sourcefile /destinationfile and a 3GB file generated with dd (

dd if=/dev/urandom of=3GB.bin bs=64M count=48 iflag=fullblock)

I have 3 different HDDs for data.

I moved this file from a NVMe SSD to each of these HDDs back and forth: no performance impact at all. Always over 100 MB/s, both Glances and rsync show correct values.

However, when I target my MergerFS pool with these drives, SOMETIMES I am able to reproduce the performance issue, however there's no stress on the server.

I will open a case to MergerFS's creator, but here's my configuration:

- 3 HDDs

- All default options: defaults,allow_other,cache.files=off,use_ino

- Policy: Most Free Space (yes my HDDs are balanced and evenly used)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von auanasgheps ()

• when I target my MergerFS pool with these drives, SOMETIMES I am able to reproduce the performance issue, however there's no stress on the server.

I will open a case to MergerFS's creator

Good you found a potential root cause.

Now if I'm not mistaken its the first time MergerFS was mentioned.
    How come it wasn't mentioned before?

• No, all QoS / traffic analysis features are disabled.

When I'm doing these tests the network is not loaded by other devices.

I still believe the issue is not the network: I get these drops also when I transfer a file inside the NAS from a share to another, which is handled remotely

I have 2 (two) Asus RT-AC68U, both hardwired on my Intranet and functioning as routers and Samba servers. While that set-up was active my transfer rate Disk-Disk (non SSD) on my NAS (Debian based openmediavault 5 running on AMD5 5300 6Cores 12 threads unlocked, 16GB RAM, 23 TB storage) was ~45-52MB/s. Some time ego I build myself custom router utilizing on of my old PC (Nvidia i750 SLI MB Q9300 Intel CPU and 8GB RAM) and FREE BSD pfSense OS and converted both RT-AC68U routers to "Access Points" disabling all other router features. Now my Disk-Disk (non SSD) transfer rate on the same NAS, transferring large, 4-15GB, files is ~105-108MB/s. I also use "rsync" on openmediavault NAS computer to backup drives (somewhat as RAID 1). Using this method I can backup/transfer 4TB of large files from one drive to another in ~4 Hrs. I was never able to accomplish that when my RT-AC68U`s were used as "routers". In my opinion consumer grade routers like yours or mine do not have enough horse power to take advantage of your network speed.

This was my experience and it worked for me. Your situation might be different, but I would suggest you investigate other solution than the one you employ now. There is plenty of alternatives.

Edit: BTW I am on latest OMV6 now

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• Since you were resolving someone else's issue in my thread, I just started to use FTP, which is instant :) .

OMV 5 + Odroid H2 + IronWolf 4TB RAID 1 + NVME 128GB SSD

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!