New - looking to install and run OMV 6 from a 32gb usb flash drive - is there a step by step guide please -any help appreciated

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • New - Hi I am new to and looking to install and run OMV 6 from a 32gb usb flash drive - is there a step by step guide please -any help appreciated :) ta :)

Hi,

Roughly here are the steps I followed:

Part A:

1) Download OMV iso, and BalenaEtcher on Windows11 system.

2) Use BlaenaEtcher to make an OMV Install USB pen drive

3) Plugin the "install usb" and "future OS usb" pen drives in the destination OMV system.

4) Install OMV.

5) Remove "Install usb" pen drive from the new system.

6) After Successful Installation to USB/or SDD reboot and Login using default (UserName: admin / Password: openmediavault)

Part B:

1)Using Putty, login as root into SSH shell, and install OMV-Extras by executing this command as root: wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/packages/raw/master/install | bash

2) Install plugin openmediavault-flashmemory

3) Change Admin Password

4) EDIT: Generate SSL and SSH Certificates.

5) Secure workbench by forcing SSL.

6) Increase auto logout time to suit your needs

7) Run this command as root through SSH: apt install lm-sensors

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install Plugin - openmediavault-cputemp 6.1.3

Use the forum to find correct line to enter for your specific CPU and then

Create/Edit a new cpu-temp script by entering: sudo nano /usr/sbin/cpu-temp

For the newer Intel chip that I'm using I entered this in new cpu-temp script: sensors coretemp-isa-0000 | grep '0:' | head -n4 | cut -c 16-23

Press ctrl-o to save, and ctrl-x to exit Nano

Change permission of new file: chmod +x /usr/sbin/cpu-temp

Execute new file cpu-temp to make sure it is working: cpu-temp

Now execute the following commands:

omv-env set "OMV_CPU_TEMP_COMMAND" "/usr/sbin/cpu-temp"

omv-env set "OMV_CPU_TEMP_DIVISOR" "0"

omv-salt stage run prepare

omv-mkworkbench all

monit restart omv-engined

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9) Setup widgets on the Dashboard.

10) Install all updates.

11) Setup and mount the Filesystems.

12) Install Snapraid then (Configure Snapraid Array).

13) Install MergerFS then (Merge all data disks).

14) Setup Shared Folders.

15) Setup Samba shares.

16) Install Kernel Plugin and then (activate clonezilla, Gparted and SystemRescue).

17) Enable S.M.A.R.T. monitoring and then (add each drive to monitor).

18) Enable short self test under scheduled tasks.

19) Setup Notifications.

20) Backup or/and clone the ROOT/OS Drive. (Use BalenaEtcher on another system to clone boot usb pendrive).

21) Install other plugins and customize your server as needed.

22) EDIT: Create users and Learn how to use Sudo command. (IMPORTANT) IMMEDIATELY STOP Using ROOT to login over SSH!!!

and Good luck. There are lots of helpful experts on this forum so don't be afraid to ask questions. I am a Newbie and was able to setup a decent server because of help I received in this forum.

OMV 7.4.2-2 (Sandworm) on ASROCK B560M-ITX/ac Motherboard, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel Pentium Gold 6405 CPU, Silverstone ECS06 6 Ports SATA Gen3x2 (6Gbps) Non-RAID PCI-e card, 7(2Parity+5Data) Toshiba 2.5 inch Laptop SATA HDD's 1TB each for Data, SnapRaid with MergerFS plugin, Kingston USB-3 Data Traveler Exodia DTX/32 GB Pen Drive for Root/OS, 128GB SATA SSD for use by DOCKER and spare 128 GB PCIE M.2 SSD. Motherboard has 4 native SATA ports and 1 M.2 PCIE port. SilverStone Sugo SG13 Case.

6 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NsinghP ()

• I run this on cron nightly. OMV is on a 16GB USB pen drive and the backup images are stored on one of my data disks. Another script also runs daily to purge backup images older than seven days.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks so much Nsingh just what i was after -will start building at the weekend , one other question whats the fastest easy way to clone my usb pendrive set up to keep spare - copies as images or drives

After my OMV server was operational, I simply shut the server down, unplugged my Root/OS usb pen drive and then used BalenaEtcher on my Windows11 system to clone this pendrive to another identical pendrive. After successfully cloning the pendrive I kept the original pendrive in safe place and used the cloned pendrive to boot my OMV server. This operation took all but 10 minutes, including the physical act of walking over to my windows11 system!

OMV 7.4.2-2 (Sandworm) on ASROCK B560M-ITX/ac Motherboard, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel Pentium Gold 6405 CPU, Silverstone ECS06 6 Ports SATA Gen3x2 (6Gbps) Non-RAID PCI-e card, 7(2Parity+5Data) Toshiba 2.5 inch Laptop SATA HDD's 1TB each for Data, SnapRaid with MergerFS plugin, Kingston USB-3 Data Traveler Exodia DTX/32 GB Pen Drive for Root/OS, 128GB SATA SSD for use by DOCKER and spare 128 GB PCIE M.2 SSD. Motherboard has 4 native SATA ports and 1 M.2 PCIE port. SilverStone Sugo SG13 Case.

• Offizieller Beitrag

BalenaEtcher

A more light weight alternative is usbimager

bzt / usbimager · GitLab
    A very minimal GUI app that can write compressed disk images to USB drives.
    gitlab.com

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!