Filesystem visible from CLI but not GUI

• System info:
    OMV 6.9.11-4 (Shaitan)

Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.13-amd64

I installed OMV on-top of a Debian 11 install where I partitioned the main nvme drive into boot, swap, root, and home (see below). It's been up and running for about 17 days now and I only just noticed that the home file system I created during the Debian install isn't being picked up by the OMV GUI. I can see it from the commandline line but the OMV FAQ strong recommends against manually mounting a filesystem via the CLI.
    SO
    How do I go about debugging why the GUI doesn't see it but the CLI does.

Maybe some conflict with OMV creating it's own /home and the /home label I applied to the partition? I'm not even sure what to try.

View from the commandline:

View from the GUI:
    Mounted file systems.

If I click "Mount an existing filesystem" I get this:

An empty drop down menu.

• The nvme0n1p4 seems to be mounted already, because of that the UI does not display it in the candidates dropdown. Keep in mind that OMV only shows filesystem that are mounted via the UI. So unmount the filesystem, remove the entry in /etc/fatal and you can mount it via UI.

I have a similar issue with MD-FS & ZFS. Did you mean to say comment out the relevant UUID lines in '/etc/fstab' so the UI will pick them up as mountable?

• I am fairly certain I didn't mount it manually, at least not under OMV.

I think Debian mounted it when I partitioned things and installed Debian 11. I'm assuming that votdev means /etc/fstab?

Which if I peak at corroborates my suspicion that nvme0n1p4 was mounted during the Debian install:

Trouble is I have shared folders in /home but OMV thinks their in root (nvme0n1p3):

But if I inspect them from the command line I see:

Code
    ~$ df -h ./appdata/
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/nvme0n1p4  888G  859M  842G   1% /home

The GUI thinks /home is part of / but the CLI can tell they are separate.

So I spin down all of my docker apps (the only thing using those shared folders), unmount /home, comment out the line in fstab and run systemctl daemon-reload annnnd the GUI still doesn't see it.

Which seems to be because something keeps trying to remount it rather than allowing it to stay unmounted.

alexicon - I'm actually trying to have a separation between root and my home directory so I don't think the sharerootfs plugin is what I want. Though it seems like it might get me direct access to my home partition.

• Looking at the systemctl list-units I believe it's the shared folder service (or whatever the correct term is) that is remounting the partition.

How do I stop this so that I can remount my /home directory in the GUI and remap my shared folders?

Can I just systemctl stop sharedfolders-*? Or am I courting trouble by doing that?
    Please don't tell me I'm going to have to scrub all of my shared folders and re-enter them in the GUI.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Washboard3338 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wow, you still have /sharedfolders?

sudo omv-env set OMV_SHAREDFOLDERS_DIR_ENABLED "NO"
    sudo omv-salt stage run prepare
    sudo omv-salt deploy run systemd 

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.2

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Wow, you still have /sharedfolders?

sudo omv-env set OMV_SHAREDFOLDERS_DIR_ENABLED "NO"
    sudo omv-salt stage run prepare
    sudo omv-salt deploy run systemd 

I don't think I had a /sharedfolders until I umount /home and then something created it and remounted nvme0n1p4 to it automatically.

Which is still the same behavior I'm observing after running the above commands you recommended.

I'm still not able to mount nvme0n1p4 in the GUI because something is still remounting it into /sharedfolders everytime I umount it.

See:

Even with:

Code
    ~# omv-env get OMV_SHAREDFOLDERS_DIR_ENABLED
    OMV_SHAREDFOLDERS_DIR_ENABLED=NO

• @Washboard3338 why not forget everything you've done and install everything again? forget about all the settings from the CLI and do configure everything from the WEB GUI!

Primarily because that would require a bunch of work I don't want to redo and I'm not actually sure it would solve the problem.

I see no reason to believe that I wouldn't just run into the same problem again - I didn't manually mount the partition.
    It was mounted when I created the partition along with the Debian 11 install. I literally cannot unmount the partition right now because OMV auto remounts it so I suspect if I reinstall I will run into the same problem.

I get that its annoying when people post on the forum making the mistakes that there are warnings about BUT in this instance the warnings are not where they needed to be:
    * There is no warning on the Installation on Debian page.
    * There is no warning on the Installation page.

* The only warnings are on the forum and the filesystem page of the docs.

I did a standard Linux install following the Installation on Debian page which makes no mention OMV needing you to only mount things in the GUI.

Surely, there is a way to stop the automount service that is less work than reinstalling or manually removing and re-adding all 17 of my shared folders via the GUI that has no means of bulk editing.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I get that its annoying when people post on the forum making the mistakes that there are warnings about BUT in this instance the warnings are not where they needed to be:
    * There is no warning on the Installation on Debian page.
    * There is no warning on the Installation page.

* The only warnings are on the forum and the filesystem page of the docs.

I did a standard Linux install following the Installation on Debian page which makes no mention OMV needing you to only mount things in the GUI.

Since it seems like no one is going to answer, I'll do it. A large part of the posts on the forum correspond to errors or warnings already written. I guess we're used to people not reading the documentation. It is a reality that unfortunately we must accept, and we accept it, so there is no discomfort with this.

I assume you skipped the part of the documentation that talks about prerequisites and went straight to installation. The prerequisites are warning you about not using the system disk for data and also telling you that the entire disk will be used to install OMV on it, no partitions are supported. This in itself is already telling you not to mount /home on a separate partition or anything else. You just didn't see it. https://docs.openmediavault.org/en/latest/prerequisites.html

That doesn't mean it can't be done. I have a server with OMV installed on a partitioned disk. You're just moving away from common practice in OMV if you do that, so know what you're doing and be prepared to fix problems.

To achieve what you want, I think the easiest way would be to leave that partition empty when you are installing debian. If you mount it as /home during installation I assume that debian is executing some actions that will conflict with OMV.

Once OMV is installed you have the option to activate /home in the GUI, in User Management>Settings. Then you just have to create a shared /home folder on that partition and activate User home directory.

In the state you're in, I'm not sure how to solve it, but the path that ryecoaaron suggested seems the most appropriate. Maybe the last command should be omv-salt deploy run sharedfolders systemd

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!