Network Card Help!

• Hello,

I'd like to start with I'm extremely new to Linux things, any action needed will require me to google how it is done.

with that out of the way, I have an issue with a newly added network card. The motherboard's ethernet port is 100 Mbps and I'm trying to install a 2.5Gbps network card (or even 1Gbps, I have both at hand) but it isn't showing in network interface no matter what I do. I've been at it for few days, googling anything related & testing different solutions but none worked so far. I'd hope someone could help in getting this network card up and running. I believe the network card info: Manufacturer: Glotrends. Name: LE8105. Chip (according to the box): RTL8125BG.

OMV version:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to add the network card, but I'm trying to add ethernet interface from "network" in OMV webpage but I can only see the virtual ports I have running inside docker (or so I believe!):

If any information is needed, please tell me and I'll post them here!

Appreciate any help.

• votdev

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

You should google if this card/chip is supported by your linux kernel. If not, update to the latest OMV version which is OMV7.

Well you should update in any case, as OMV5 is end of life for a long time and is not supported anymore. Same applies to the Debian Version, OMV is based on.

• I feel your only solution is to move to OMV7. I fought the Realtek 8125/26/52/56 2.5 Ghz driver issue for months on OMV6 and finally got fed up enough to move to OMV7. Works perfectly under OMV 7, full bandwidth is realized (280 MB/s) although I still have an annoying initialization problem that started after an update (as documented here: RE: RPI updates - Ethernet dongle - Remote Mount)

7.0.5-1 (Sandworm)

Processor Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5

Linux 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-v8

• Thanks to you both. I will update to OMV7 and see if it fixes it.

On that note, is there a quick way to update to OMV7? I haven't searched anywhere about upgrading so I thought I could ask :D

• You can not skip versions when doing an in place version upgrade. So the path will be OMV5 -> OMV6, then OMV6 -> OMV7

The problem is that OMV5 is so old that it may not be possible to upgrade it to OMV6. Can't hurt to try, but be prepared for it to fail and possibly hose your system beyond repair.

You should make a verified to be restorable backup before attempting any version upgrades.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• To add to gderf, if you already littered OMV5 with a bunch of drivers for the Realtek, I'm not sure what happens with those drivers with in-place upgrades. I didn't want to deal with any fallout from my mess so I did a full do-over and installed OMV from scratch (so I can only vouch for that.)

7.0.5-1 (Sandworm)

Linux 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-v8

• Just to follow up, I managed to upgrade to OMV6 successfully without any issues (thankfully!) but I still can't see the network card. From my basic understanding, it is as if the card itself isn't connected at all. I did take it out and tested it on a windows machine and it worked flawlessly, just plugged and played.

Only the onboard ethernet is showing when using "lspci"., and any other command that shows networks devices doesn't show this card at all, at this point I'm not sure if it is a driver that's missing or something else?

• It was recommended to go to OMV7 ultimately, but you had to go to OMV6 first because you can't skip versions in the upgrade process.

This recommendation, aside from the fact of being actively developed, is because many drivers are built into the linux kernels and you will only get the newest kernels with the newest OS versions, plus you will also have access to the newest non-free repositories where drivers that are not built into the kernel reside. Typically realtek drivers are in the non-free repositories. In order to get them installed you usually have to add "contrib non-free" to your repo source and them apt-get update and apt get install <desired package>. OMV7 which is built on debian 12 will have the newest/most complete source for all of this. I believe debian 12 will give you access to the non-free repositories by default, while older versions you needed to enable it.

• Just to follow up, I managed to upgrade to OMV6 successfully without any issues (thankfully!) but I still can't see the network card.

I wonder where my message got lost. I stated that I fought this issue on OMV6 for months and the ultimate fix was move to OMV7.

7.0.5-1 (Sandworm)

Linux 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-v8

• Run this command in the shell to see if the OS sees the card:

lspci

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Sorry for the late response; I'm working offshore and had to leave home for the past week.

It was recommended to go to OMV7 ultimately, but you had to go to OMV6 first because you can't skip versions in the upgrade process.

This recommendation, aside from teh fact of being actively developed, is because many drivers are built into the linux kernels and you will only get the newest kernels with the newest OS versions, plus you will also have access to the newest non-free repositories where drivers that are not built into the kernel reside. Typically realtek drivers are in the non-free repositories. In order to get them installed you usually have to add "contrib non-free" to ypur repo source and them apt-get update and apt get install <desired package>. OMV7 which is built on debian 12 will have the newest/most complete source for all of this. I believe debian 12 will give you access to the non-free repositories by default, while older versions you needed to enable it.

Thanks. I'm currently upgrading to OMV7 to see if this gets resolved.

I wonder where my message got lost. I stated that I fought this issue on OMV6 for months and the ultimate fix was move to OMV7.

Apologies, I misread your message as "probably will work on OMV6". I'm upgrading now and I'll see what will happen.

Run this command in the shell to see if the OS sees the card:

lspci

Currently with OMV6, the card is not detected, I can only see the onboard ethernet with intel chip. Once the upgrade is finished, I'll run the command again and see the result.

Once the upgrade is completed (hopefully without any issues), is there a specific command that I can use to sort of.. refresh the drivers or something? is apt-get update enough?

• Code
    Run as root or sudo:

apt update
    apt upgrade

--

• Code
    Run as root or sudo:

apt update
    apt upgrade

I get the below message when I run apt update, is this fine? I see lots of "failed"

And surprisingly, after upgrading to OMV7, I can see Debian is still at 11:

Code
    # lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Debian
    Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
    Release:        11
    Codename:       bullseye
  • You have no working DNS. Configure some DNS servers in the Network settings.

Your upgrade may not have completed properly if the Linux version is incorrect.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!