[HowTo] WireGuard with OMV Super-Easy

• Please resist from changing IP adresses. That is not neccessary. Only the Interface of your network card that you use to connect to the Internet could be changed.

Sorry for silly question, but: you mean we don't have to edit the script with my IP?

= Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1310 M3 • 2 x HDD 3.5" 4TB Western Digital Red • Windows Server 2019 • Hyper-V • OMV 5.x =

• Wow, very nice work, thanks a lot!I only had to add my domain to the endpoint section on my mobile's Wireguard after importing the settings via the QR-Code and could connect instantly from the internet. 10/10 would run again - if I had to.

hi guys,

is it this all I need run the vpn ?
    No need Docker app or anything else ?

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• I received error at the end

Code
    Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/wg-quick@wgnet0.service → /lib/systemd/system/wg-quick@.service.
    Job for wg-quick@wgnet0.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See "systemctl status wg-quick@wgnet0.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

I run ./setup_wireguard_omv.sh as root from home dir.

= Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1310 M3 • 2 x HDD 3.5" 4TB Western Digital Red • Windows Server 2019 • Hyper-V • OMV 5.x =

• I haven't touched it. I was waiting for more feedback on what it is doing wrong. As much as I would like to try it out, I haven't had time. So, I haven't really used wireguard and that makes it tough to improve the plugin.

Hi, I have tried it in these days and I have a couple of points:
    - the latest version I have tried (last week) generates a QR code which is not readable by the latest version of the iOS wireguard app. It says it is not a valid wireguard configuration.
    - I would put a setting to enabling or not the usage of a PSK
    - it could be cool if it could just load an existing configuration and start from there, also because it allows a more fine-grained control

If there is anything you want me to test I can try!
    Thanks for doing it!

• Offizieller Beitrag

the latest version I have tried (last week) generates a QR code which is not readable by the latest version of the iOS wireguard app. It says it is not a valid wireguard configuration.

Can you use another QR reader to tell me what config it is actually generating? The QR code was the one thing that seemed to working fine.

- I would put a setting to enabling or not the usage of a PSK

There is no PSK setting currently. What does the config line look like?

it could be cool if it could just load an existing configuration and start from there, also because it allows a more fine-grained control

OMV doesn't work that way. It totally controls the config files. If there is something missing, it should be added to the plugin and/or an extra options field added.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Can you use another QR reader to tell me what config it is actually generating? The QR code was the one thing that seemed to working fine.

I think I have narrowed it down. I was using a prefix to the Endpoint (https:// ) I tried removing it, saving and regenerating the QR code but it is not updating.
    Even if I replace the endpoint with some bogus IP like 10.0.0.1 it won't regenerate the QR.
    I hade to enable and disable the plugin and clear the cache to let it regenerate.
    I'll make some more tries.

There is no PSK setting currently. What does the config line look like?

sorry, my fault, now it is not there, I might have messed up with other tools.

OMV doesn't work that way. It totally controls the config files. If there is something missing, it should be added to the plugin and/or an extra options field added.

Fair enough, I'll play a bit with it and see if I can put together some modifications for a pull request.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I hade to enable and disable the plugin and clear the cache to let it regenerate.

Not sure what else I can do to help with that. The refresh button I added seemed to work in my testing.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• hi,

I tried the plugin, and I got error like previous users.
    Uninstalled it.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

tried the plugin, and I got error like previous users.
    Uninstalled it.

It probably failed to finish installing because you only installed the plugin and not the wireguard packages. There are no wireguard packages unless you enable the beta repo or download the wireguard packages manually. I will look at moving the wireguard packages to the testing repo.

dpkg -l | grep wireguard

• Offizieller Beitrag

I assume you have the testing repo enabled. That can be done via GUI.

Beta repo has to be enabled from CLI.

Have a look at the other posts on this thread. I think it is mentioned quite in the beginning.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can try to install the pkg manually.

The wireguard packages are in buster-backports now.

sudo apt-get -t buster-backports install wireguard wireguard-dkms wireguard-tools

• I've port fowarding 51820 in my router, and got the QR code scanned into my iphone, but can't connect to the server.

Code
    AddPortMapping(51820, 51820, 192.168.1.97) failed with code 718 (ConflictInMappingEntry)

Wireguard VPN connected for a few seconds, then it disconnected.

Installed pkgs:

Code
    ii  wireguard                          1.0.20200206-2~bpo10+1              all          fast, modern, secure kernel VPN tunnel (metapackage)
    ii  wireguard-dkms                     0.0.20200215-2~bpo10+1              all          fast, modern, secure kernel VPN tunnel (DKMS version)
    ii  wireguard-tools                    1.0.20200206-2~bpo10+1

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• I have installed wireguard. but get below error.

root@openmediavault:~# dkms status

wireguard, 0.0.20200215: added

root@openmediavault:~# sudo modprobe wireguard && lsmod | grep wireguard

modprobe: FATAL: Module wireguard not found in directory /lib/modules/5.4.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

root@openmediavault:~# dpkg -l | grep wireguard

ii wireguard 1.0.20200206-2~bpo10+1 all fast, modern, secure kernel VPN tunnel (metapackage)

ii wireguard-dkms 0.0.20200215-2~bpo10+1 all fast, modern, secure kernel VPN tunnel (DKMS version)

ii wireguard-tools 1.0.20200206-2~bpo10+1 amd64 fast, modern, secure kernel VPN tunnel (userland utilities)

root@openmediavault:~#

root@openmediavault:~# ip addr

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000

link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00

inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo

valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

inet6 ::1/128 scope host

2: enp0s25: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000

link/ether 00:23:ae:b0:06:d8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet 192.168.0.22/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global enp0s25

I changed eth0 in script with enp0s25.

What is the problem?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!