OMV 5.0 - finally out! :-)

• /sharedfolders, and the subdirectories will continue to exist. However the contents of any subdirectories (those having the same name as your defined shares) will be empty.

Just checked the contents of the subdirectories under /sharedfolders and they are not empty :/

• Just checked the contents of the subdirectories under /sharedfolders and they are not empty :/

The feature is disabled by default on new installations. It might not be disabled when upgrading from OMV 4 to 5.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• You can choose whether you want those shares to be populated under /sharedfolders or not. The feature was disabled beginning with OMV 5.2.4-1 due to those directories being used in ways that caused a lot of problems for some users, particularly docker users who used those locations as Volume or Bind mounts in docker containers. So, if you leave the feature enabled try not to misuse it :)

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You can choose whether you want those shares to be populated under /sharedfolders or not.

If the way going forward is to not use /sharedfolders then I would choose to not have my shares populated under /sharedfolders.

Are there steps outlining how to disable the /sharedfolders feature? And is disabling all that is required? Or are further steps needed (no problem if further steps are needed, just curious).

Thanks for answering all my questions so far :)

• Both excited and scared about this given that I have held off dealing with 5 at all with my stable 4 install and all my dockers.

That said it is time.

I'm thinking since I can preserve all my data from my dockers, I can (hopefully?) not have to start over with all my plugins like radarr, sonarr, and plex using the config I have saved from the dockers with portainers. Hopefully I am thinking along the proper lines here.

If that's the case, it seems like starting with a fresh omv5 install and manually adding my drives back in will be the CLEANEST way to do this -- Note I don't use any RAID or zfs pool at all, each drive is separate without any redundancy, because I am crazy and hate wasting space.

Other than the crazy approach to the data, is my head in the right place otherwise? Just seems cleaner (though maybe more dangerous) to install on a fresh formatted SSD then re-install my dockers using portainer and just manually put humpty dumpty back together again, rather than try and upgrade on top. Which admittedly seems potentially problematic and not necessarily the ideal way to move from OMV4 to OMV5.

And by the way massive thanks to everyone for continuing to maintain for free to less, what I have found to be the absolute best solution for me for serving my home.

• I'm trying to upgrade from 4 to 5 using instructions in #38. The system is running and my shares and Dockers working also but no web interface (I have flushed the cache). Nginx error 502 bad gateway.

I get these errors:

root@omv:~# apt-get dist-upgrade

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

Calculating upgrade... Done

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:

cifs-utils davfs2 fail2ban fping libneon27 net-tools pm-utils sysstat

Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

8 not fully installed or removed.

After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.

Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

Setting up openmediavault (5.3.10-1) ...

Creating configuration database ...

Migrating configuration database ...

Running migration conf_5.0.0

WARNING: The node 'optiongroup' already exists at XPath '/config/services/rsync/jobs/job'.

WARNING: The node 'optionowner' already exists at XPath '/config/services/rsync/jobs/job'.

WARNING: The node 'timemachine' already exists at XPath '/config/services/smb/shares/share'.

Running migration conf_5.0.3

Running migration conf_5.2.0

Setting up Salt environment ...

Processing system modifications ...

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_strtolower() in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/autoloader.inc:28

Stack trace:

#0 [internal function]: {closure}('OMV\\Engine\\Modu...')

#1 Standard input code(2): spl_autoload_call('OMV\\Engine\\Modu...')

#2 {main}

thrown in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/autoloader.inc on line 28

dpkg: error processing package openmediavault (--configure):

installed openmediavault package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 255

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openmediavault-unionfilesystems:

openmediavault-unionfilesystems depends on openmediavault (>= 5.2); however:

Package openmediavault is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-unionfilesystems (--configure):

dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openmediavault-backup:

openmediavault-backup depends on openmediavault (>= 4.1.5); however:

dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-backup (--configure):

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openmediavault-omvextrasorg:

openmediavault-omvextrasorg depends on openmediavault (>= 5.0); however:

dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-omvextrasorg (--configure):

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of omvextras-common:

omvextras-common depends on openmediavault (>= 5.0); however:

dpkg: error processing package omvextras-common (--configure):

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openmediavault-resetperms:

openmediavault-resetperms depends on openmediavault (>= 5.0); however:

dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-resetperms (--configure):

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openmediavault-snapraid:

openmediavault-snapraid depends on openmediavault (>= 5.0.5); however:

openmediavault-snapraid depends on omvextras-common; however:

Package omvextras-common is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-snapraid (--configure):

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of omvextras-unionbackend:

omvextras-unionbackend depends on openmediavault (>= 5.2); however:

dpkg: error processing package omvextras-unionbackend (--configure):

Errors were encountered while processing:

openmediavault

openmediavault-unionfilesystems

openmediavault-backup

openmediavault-omvextrasorg

omvextras-common

openmediavault-resetperms

openmediavault-snapraid

omvextras-unionbackend

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Where do I go from here? Any help appreciated.

John

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• No need to reply to the above I have wiped and started again.

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

• John, were you able to preserve your dockers or anything else when you started over? I'm considering doing the same thing and just saying the heck with trying to upgrade in place. It sounds a bit problematic. Hopefully future OMV versions won't be so different that an upgrade in place works, but it sure looks like too many changes under the hood from 4 to 5 to make this one as joyful a task.

That said, I love how this software continues to grow and get better all the time! You guys rock.

• Yes - all is good. Before I tried the upgrade I did a Clonezilla backup to an external USB drive. As above the in-place upgrade failed. I wiped and reinstalled, set up the shares, MergerFS, SnapRAID - didn't take long, no problems encountered. I created symlinks in /sharedfolders to the new OMV 5 share locations to avoid having to do a Jellyfin library rescan as the files had moved.

Installed Docker and Portainer. I then stopped Docker and copied /var/lib/docker from the backup to the new system. Restart Docker and much to my surprise Jellyfin worked as before. I don't have many Dockers but Syncthing took a bit of work as the config files were not in /var/lib/docker but once moved to the new location all good and it wouldn't have been hard to install it again anyway.

Two hours at most to have a functioning media server and then two hours to set up SMART, rsync jobs etc. Well worth the upgrade and the backup saved the day.

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hopefully future OMV versions won't be so different that an upgrade in place works

Actually, there will probably be no upgrade path for OMV 5 to 6. Prior versions have had easy upgrade paths (except 2 -> 3) but this isn't something you should count on. Even Red Hat Enterprise Linux really doesn't have a good in-place upgrade.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Maybe it will be useful to someone in my situation.

To upgrade to OMV 5 I had to add this command at the beginning:

sed -i "s/stretch/buster/g" /etc/apt/apt.conf

• Offizieller Beitrag

To upgrade to OMV 5 I had to add this command at the beginning:

Not even sure why you have an apt.conf. This is not common. What was in it?

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Good evening,

I recently upgraded from OMV4 to OMV5 following the steps earlier in this thread. I am however now stuck. I can SSH into my server and commit commands. I can not use the web interface. I have tried searching using google to find a fix but have not been successful. After I enter my credentials in the log in screen I get an output of the following:

Error #0:

OMV\Exception: Failed to open include file 'js/omv/PluginManager.js'. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/controlpanel/controlpanelabstract.inc:42

Stack trace:

#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/controlpanel/controlpanelabstract.inc(70): OMV\ControlPanel\ControlPanelAbstract->scanFiles('js/omv/PluginMa...', Array)

#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/controlpanel/controlpanelabstract.inc(87): OMV\ControlPanel\ControlPanelAbstract->scanFiles('js/omv/PluginMa...', Array)

#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/controlpanel/controlpanelabstract.inc(90): OMV\ControlPanel\ControlPanelAbstract->scanDir('js/omv/module/a...', Array, true)

#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/controlpanel/controlpanelabstract.inc(90): OMV\ControlPanel\ControlPanelAbstract->scanDir('js/omv/module/a...', Array, true)

#4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/controlpanel/controlpanelabstract.inc(90): OMV\ControlPanel\ControlPanelAbstract->scanDir('js/omv/module/a...', Array, true)

#5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/controlpanel/administration.inc(54): OMV\ControlPanel\ControlPanelAbstract->scanDir('js/omv/module/a...', Array, true)

#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/controlpanel/controlpanelabstract.inc(206): OMV\ControlPanel\Administration->getJavascriptIncludes()

#7 /var/www/openmediavault/index.php(41): OMV\ControlPanel\ControlPanelAbstract->render()

#8 {main}

Any threads that refer to this have not been able to resolve the issue for me. Can anyone give me some guidance?

• Resolved my own issue finally. Unsure of what exactly was the culprit. But I removed several packages and then the interface started working again.

Removed items:

Shellinabox

Minidlna

Openvpn

DNSmasq

I apologize for my hasty post.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!