How do I replace a failing disk NOT in a RAID?

• How do I replace a disk that is NOT in a RAID?

I have a disk that is throwing SMART errors and I want to replace it.

First, how do I copy the current contents to another mounted drive that is currently not in use?
    Second, how do I unmount the failing disk? In 'Storage' I have 'Physical Disks', 'S.M.A.R.T.', 'RAID Management', and 'File Systems', but in 'File Systems, 'Unmount' is inactive (grey).
    Third, how do I tell Plex Media Server where the files are?

Many thanks.

(Also, how do I find my OMV Version?? I am just guessing to post the questions.)

• Take a look at Data Backup in this Guide.

There's a section that describes how to set up disk-to-disk RSYNC backup (disk replication) and it will tell you how to redirect your shared folders, to the new disk, when the copy is complete.

You'll find version info under; Diagnostics, System Information. It's in the Overview or Report tabs.

• How do I replace a disk that is NOT in a RAID?

I have a disk that is throwing SMART errors and I want to replace it.

First, how do I copy the current contents to another mounted drive that is currently not in use?
    Second, how do I unmount the failing disk? In 'Storage' I have 'Physical Disks', 'S.M.A.R.T.', 'RAID Management', and 'File Systems', but in 'File Systems, 'Unmount' is inactive (grey).
    Third, how do I tell Plex Media Server where the files are?

Steve,

Where you able to work through all this?

I am now facing a similar situation. I have a 1.4Tb drive that currently has 3 shared folders on it that is throwing more and more frequent errors. I have a new 4Tb drive available to replace it.

I read through the guide material referenced above by Crashtest but I'm just not putting it all together.

I could really use a little guidance on this if anyone has the patience to go over the basic process.

Thank!

• simply.

save all data that can be posible on the new disk or other place, and delete all the shares on failing disk, so finally you can detach from webGUI, atach the new disk and recopy data ( or share data if are previosly copied on it).

• Install, Format and Mount the new drive.

Create 3 corresponding shares on the new drive.

Set up a simple rsync job to sync Folder A (on old Disk) to Folder A (on new disk).

Run rsync job.

Rinse and repeat for next two folders.

When your done, remove shares on old drive from any plugins, etc.

Delete shares on old drive under shared folders.

Point plugins, etc. at new appropriate folders on new drive.

Unmount the old drive filesystem. If you've removed all the shared folders, removed all plugin references, etc.. it should unmount no problem.

Shut down and physically remove old drive.

That should do it.

• There also is a way without deleting old sharedfolders and their references to any services using terminal/ssh. Just mount the new drive, rsync all data from the old to the new one using e.g.

> rsync -aAP /srv/_OLDDRIVE_/sharedfolderX /srv/_NEWDRIVE_

Then the location of each sharedfolder can be changed in the OMV GUI. A warning is displayed that the data must be copied manually (done). After that the old drive can be removed.

EDIT: Sorry I did not notice this thread is about omv 0.2. This way is only tested with omv 4 and 5.

• EDIT: Sorry I did not notice this thread is about omv 0.2. This way is only tested with omv 4 and 5.

Truth be told, neither did I. I built my NAS a month or so back using OMV 5.

I did get things moved over but, I stumbled through it a bit. Fortunately the drive that started to fail was one I used for backing up connected pc's and storing software downloads. If I lost the content I could have run new backups of the connected pc's and download other missing content.

I'll chock this up to a good live fire drill or practice run. In the event that one of the other drives with more critical content fails I have at least worked through this once.

Thanks All for the feedback and advice!

• What both KM0201 and HannesJo described above will work fine. The best, easiest to understand, most complete explanation of backup and RECOVERY is found on page 59 (OMV 5) of @crashtest’s Getting Started with OpenMediaVault. It’s on page 64 of the guide for OMV 4. You need to have an always installed backup drive and a backup strategy in place with a REAL recovery feature. That is if your data (and time) is important to you.

RAID is NOT a backup and not useful for most home users. Rsync makes true backup and restoration stupid easy, and it's built right in to OMV. Use this command in a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAMEofSOURCEdisk/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAMEofDESTINATIONdisk/

Hardware: OMV 5 (current) - NanoPi M4: Nextcloud, Plex, & Heimdall - Acer Aspire T180: backup - Odroid XU4: Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Odroid HC2, Raspberry Pi 3B+, and HP dx2400: testing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!