Need some help, I'm a bit out of my depth

• Hi.

I'm quite new to all this kind of thing. I have had a bit of experience using Linux, I've got Elementary OS running on my media PC.

I have some hard disks from my previous media PC that I was hoping to have access to over my network at home (maybe online once I know what I'm doing). I was going to get a Raspeberry Pi or a Pine but I've got an old desktop that used to run Small Business Server so I thought I would re-purpose that for now.

So, I burnt an ISO DVD and installed OMV on the server, and I've been following the Install and Complete Setup video (although it's for OMV 4 and I've installed OMV 5).

I've got as far as the disks and file systems part, and I'm really not clear what to do. The old server I'm using had a couple of data disks in there and I was hoping I'd be able to have a delve into them and see what's on there. In the setup video he clears the other disks and sets up a RAID thing. I don't want to clear the disks, I want to be able to see what's on them.

So, what do I have to do to be able to see these disks and their contents over the network please?

Thanks

• I have had a good try at trying to figure this out by looking at other threads, but I must confess that I don't really understand some of the language so I can't tell if I'm reading a solution.

I take it I have to mount a drive. Can I mount both my data disks? Probably.

When I try and mount one of the other hard disks I get the message 'The filesystem label contains blanks'. In the Label column one disk is called 'New Volume' and one is called 'Windows 7'. The old server was put together by 10 or so years ago by a friend, I imagine it could maybe be booted from any disk for different operating systems. I can change the boot order of the disks in the BIOS to see what happens - but this doesn't solve my problem of how to interrogate the disk contents using Open Media Vault. The main aim is the put in the data disk from my previous media PC.

So, it seems like my first issue is maybe getting rid of blanks in the filesystem label? I've had a hunt around and can't find out how I edit the filesystem label. A shove in the right direction would be appreciated :) Thanks

• So, this is what OMV shows me. It sees the three hard drives and then the second picture is the File systems. I'm not sure what sda5 is, maybe some partition from the previous use of the first hard disk.

If I try and create a file system the first choice is a drop down box to choose device, but there are no choices. It just stays on 'Select a device...'

Should I delete sdc1 and sdb1? As I don't know what I'm doing I'm not keen to delete things.

• So, it seems like my first issue is maybe getting rid of blanks in the filesystem label? I've had a hunt around and can't find out how I edit the filesystem label.

Connect the disks to a Windows PC and rename "New Volume" to e.g. "New_Volume" and "Windows 7" to "Windows_7". OMV is a little bit delicate if labels with spaces are used with NTFS formatted drives.

I'm not sure what sda5 is, maybe some partition from the previous use of the first hard disk.

sda is the disk where OMV is installed on. sda5 is the swap partition which is created during the OMV installation process.

If I try and create a file system the first choice is a drop down box to choose device, but there are no choices. It just stays on 'Select a device...'

You have disks connected which have already a file system. Why do you want to create another file system on them?

Should I delete sdc1 and sdb1? As I don't know what I'm doing I'm not keen to delete things.

It is not recommended to use NTFS drives as an OMV data drive. It is better to use a native linux file system like ext4.
    In the Storage tab there is a Wipe button. If you wipe the drive then all data on it is gone.
    Therefore it depends if the data is important for you or not.

I would recommend you to connect the disks to a Windows PC and copy all old data to another place. Then connect them to the OMV system, wipe them and create an ext4 file system on it.

There is also a new user guide, which you should find in the forum.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since you seem to be familiar with desktop Linux... I think you can boot an Elementary, Mint, etc. Live disk, and use Gparted to change the disk labels.

Then after that, use OMV to share the ntfs drives over the network (SMB, NFS) and see what's on them. I do agree w/ the above though, your goal should be to get the data moved off those drives and then format them to a linux filesystem.

• Thanks for the info. I will have a go at renaming the drives using Elementary. I only have a Windows laptop these days so I would have to get a USB hard drive enclosure thing.

Thanks, I'll see how I get on :):)

• HI again.

I've used Gparted and made sure the name of the data disk has no spaces. I then carried on following the instructions and I think I've set OMV up correctly.

I first tried to see the share on my Windows 10 laptop but couldn't get that to work. The instructions for Windows 10 talked about Homegroups but I think that has been removed from Windows 10.

I'm more bothered about getting the disk shared with my Elementary PC though. If I'm right then NFS is the best way. So I've installed nfs-common and then I've done sudo mount -t nfs x.x.x.x://new folder /var/newfolder where x.x.x.x is the ip I used to access the OMV dashboard (and new folder is the mounting folder).

I get the message:

mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting x.x.x.x://foldername

So, I'm stuck again after googling around for an answer. Why is the server denying access?

• There's the bit when adding the NFS share where it asks for Client and so I typed in the IP in the example 192.168.178.0/24

I've altered the Client to be the ip of my Elementary pc but I still get the same error

• Offizieller Beitrag

There's the bit when adding the NFS share where it asks for Client and so I typed in the IP in the example 192.168.178.0/24

I've altered the Client to be the ip of my Elementary pc but I still get the same error

Try changing it to the IP of your router or switch (that's how I always do it).. Assuming your router is 192.168.1.1

192.168.1.0/24

• My router is 192.168.1.254 so I've used 192.168.1.0/24 but it still says that access is denied by the server.

I've never seen an IP with a / in there before. What kind of IP is that? And what does it mean by 'Client' when setting up the NFS share?

• 192.168.1.0/24

That isn't an IP address. It describes a 24 bit network of IP addresses beginning with 192.168.1.0 and ending with 192.168.1.255

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ah right. Thanks

OK, not to be a smartass (I done this once when I wasn't paying attention and couldn't get an NFS share to mount)... You've added the share... You did enable the service on the settings tab under NFS?

After that it would appear your server is set up properly so you need to start checking the client side... post the command you're using to try and mount the share.

• HI. Yes I had got NFS turned on (although not to start with!!) :)

The problem was the share in OMV had a couple of capital letters, I've mounted the drive now.

If I do the df command it shows the drive and usage, so my Linux machine can definitely see the drive. However, I now can't figure out how to browse to the files. The mounting point I created /var/terrordata just says it's empty

What is the /var place anyway? I've seen a couple of other things telling me to set things up in /var

Just for info, the file format of my share is still NFTS. Will this share using NFS?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have no idea, I don't mess with NTFS... If it's NTFS, why don't you just use SMB?

/var is just an example.. you can mount it to any path you want.

• It's ntfs because it's a 2TB drive from an old PC and that's how it was set up. I assume when you say 'why don't you just use SMB' then I've got to buy a new 2TB disk and then figure out how to copy it all over. I think the power supply in the Linux machine only has two hard drive power supplies - one of which is attached to the Elementary OS drive, so unless I buy new power cables then I don't think I can use that.

The old sever that is now running OMV has enough power supplies for the OS drive and the two 2TB. So, my next question would be can I use OMV to copy the files to a new disk?

However, the main point of this project and going down the route of installing OMV in the first place was to try and give myself access to this drive across my home network without having to spend any money. Is there really no way I can access the data on the old hard drive from my Linux machine using OMV? If I plug the drive directly into the Linux machine it can see everything OK (but then I can't shut the casing), so why can't it see it across the network?

I feel I'm soooo close :):) I've battled my way through lots of new and tricky stuff to get this far, it will be such a shame if I fail at this late stage.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I suspect that NFS doesn't support NTFS export. At all. I don't know for sure, but I would be very surprised if it did.

It should be possible to share NTFS using Samba. Not with full functionality, I assume, but good enough to access files over the network.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You've been asked several times why are you insisting to use NFS with NTFS. Use SMB... What is the problem with SMB?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think the proposal is to add shared folders that are pointing to existing folders on your NTFS drive.

Then add these shared folders to the smb service.

Then you should be able to access the shared folders from Linux and Windows.

• I don't know what any of these things mean. :)

I googled how to share a drive with a Linux machine is I read that NFS was what Linux used. I was under the impression that Samba was for talking to Windows. I don't actually know what NFS or Samba is. I have to Google everything and see how far I get. The instructions for getting started with OMV 5 only explains how to connect to Windows using Samba and I couldn't get that to work either. There's a bit that says if you're using Windows 10 to follow a link, but that link has instructions using something called Homegroup which I believe has now been removed from Windows 10.

All I want to do is access my old PC hard drive over my home network with my Linux machine and maybe my Windows 10 laptop. Whatever thing in OMV is best to use then I'll use it.

How do I use Samba with Elementary? How do I connect my Windows 10 laptop?

Sorry to be a pain, I did warn at the start I'm a total noob!!! A noob with the spirit to learn stuff though :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!