Swapfile maxed

• Hi - I noticed that OMV's swap file is set to 100M and is constantly maxed out although memory shows usage of only 300M of a total of 4 GB.

Is there something wrong?

Should I increase the swap file?

thanks

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

• Swap file or swap partition? Which do you have?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I noticed the same. Swap file. RPi4. Plenty of RAM available but swap file increase slowly until full. 100MB in tempfs, I think. At the moment I was doing intense sustained disk operations. Read, write, hardlink. Mergerfs. EXT4. I also tried turning off swap. Nothing bad happened. It just seems very strange. Why would swap grow? And it stayed full.

• Its a Swapfile and it was created at installation I believe. Same as Adoby's..it always stays full at 100m despite plenty of memory free.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• I'm seeing the same problem. OMV 5.0, RPI 4.

Swap space will start out empty after a restart, and slowly fill up until it maxes out. The load on my system is very low (1 user primarily).

I updated some packages yesterday, which had the effect of emptying swap (it was full previously) since it probably restarted the server. Overnight it now is sitting with 2 MB used out of 100 MB. From what I have seen, it will continue to grow. I can find no clues in the logfiles.

• Solution: i have just created a new swapfile in CLI with 1GB and added to FSTAB.

It works. swapfile rarely used now since there is plenty of RAM

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• But is it really useful to have a larger swapfile on a RPi4?

Unless you run run out of memory pretty ofter i'd say the swap it's just an avoidable write on the SD card. wouldn't it wear it more?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't notice any real problem with a full swap file that stays full. It is an indication that something is not right. But I can live with it...

Possibly add a cron job to turn swap on and off to clear it?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!