Omv5 and Letsencrypt plugin

• Great answer! Thank you.

Found the files in /config/letsencrypt/etc/letsencrypt/live/<><domain.name>/

I don't wanted to use a folder on my data drives because for me this is all configuration stuff :)

• I found a great video regarding letsencrypt docker / portainer configuration:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

It's in french but even if I can't spreak french it's better unterstandable than many english videos. :)

Now the question is just how to link the pem files to OMV. In case I re-new the certificates OMV should use them automatically.

• I still don't understand where you are heading. If you have a certificate for your OMV, you can connect to the GUI, but not to the files on your server.

Toho531 wants to use LetsEncrypt certs for the OMV GUI, and not have to manually copy/paste the key and cert.

Getting a LetsEncrypt cert is easy enough via Docker, but Toho is looking for a more automated way to import into the OMV GUI (I am too).

I don't NEED SSL on my OMV GUI as I'm just on my LAN...but just looking to do it because I can.

• Toho531

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Toho531

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • So there is no way to specify path to cert and key files? Only hard import available? How do we do automatic renewal using cron jobs then? The renewal command updated cert files on the disk, not in OMV database ...

I see that in /etc/nginx/sites-available/openmediavault-webgui it links to uuid-ed files.

Code
    ssl_certificate /etc/ssl/certs/openmediavault-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx.crt;
    ssl_certificate_key /etc/ssl/private/openmediavault-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx.key;

Will it work, and stay working, If I do

Code
    cd /etc/ssl/certs/
    rm openmediavault-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx.crt
    ln -s /real/path/to/mysite.crt openmediavault-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx.crt
    (plus same for key)
  • Hi,

Will be very interested in a way to automaticaly renew LetsEncrypt certificates in OMV as, at the moment, it's really a pain in the ass every 3 months to :
    1 - Renew the LetsEncrypt certificate by cron or CLI,
    2 - Copy/Paste the info in OMV GUI to generate the OMV one,
    3 - Copy/Paste the path to the new OMV certificate in every nginx site conf file (yes, I have some reverse proxy sites that use my wildcard certicate !)

So many sources of errors...

Why can OMV have the option to use directly the LetsEncrypt certificate (which is automatically renew) by simply giving its path ? It would be so easy !

OMV is mean to be easy on those things, no ?

P.S.: Please, don't tell me to use docker as it's a PERSONNAL NAS that don't need this complexity to automaticaly renew a certificat ! OMV is supposed to be a user friendly experience.

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups

Powered by OMV v5.6.26 & Linux kernel 5.10.x

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why can OMV have the option to use directly the LetsEncrypt certificate (which is automatically renew) by simply giving its path ? It would be so easy !

OMV is mean to be easy on those things, no ?

P.S.: Please, don't tell me to use docker as it's a PERSONNAL NAS that don't need this complexity to automaticaly renew a certificat ! OMV is supposed to be a user friendly experience.

There is a plugin that does this but I stopped maintaining it because certbot is a moving target and the version in the Debian repo is rarely up to date enough for a lot of people. The wildcard feature that most people want is very difficult to automate as well.

And yes, I do tell people to use docker. I use certbot myself. Putting it in docker doesn't change that much. It actually makes it easier if the system you are generating the cert on does not have a web server or you do not want the current web server exposed to the internet (like OMV's web server).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• There is a plugin that does this but I stopped maintaining it because certbot is a moving target

Yes, plugin following another piece of sw is a pain. But I think its not needed, just giving users a way to enter path to their certificates will be sufficient, imho. They already have autorenewal configured by other means (I use acme.sh and dns-01 validation).

NASA : It is not as bad as it looks, it is much worse.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von johnlocke ()

• There is a plugin that does this but I stopped maintaining it because certbot is a moving target and the version in the Debian repo is rarely up to date enough for a lot of people. The wildcard feature that most people want is very difficult to automate as well.

And yes, I do tell people to use docker. I use certbot myself. Putting it in docker doesn't change that much. It actually makes it easier if the system you are generating the cert on does not have a web server or you do not want the current web server exposed to the internet (like OMV's web server).

I can totally understand that. I personnaly recompile the latest versions of handbrake, qbittorrent-nox to be up to date in debian 10, and this can be a real pain ;)

Certificates are much more used and useful. As said just before, maybe a path to the automated certificat in the Certificates or General Settings tabs in OMV could be a huge help for a lot of people ?

Cheers.

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups