2 identical HDD - one spins down other not

• Hi,

I have a fresh OMV installation running with two identical HDDs (named data and backup) and a system SSD.

Both HDDs are configerd identical regarding APM and Spindown time. Nevertheless the data drive spins down as configured but the backup drive not.

a) I can't find anything in the logs. Any hints where to look? The hdparm.conf looks good.

b) I'm running OMV on an Asrock J4105-ITX Motherboard. SATA 1+2 are the system SSD and the data HDD and SATA 3 the backup HDD, whereas SATA 3+4 are another chipset. Might this be the cause? Can I switch SATA-Ports (e.g. data and backup HDD on SATA 1+2 and the system SSD on Port 3) or do I break the System with this?

• Andifront

Hat den Titel des Themas von „2 identical HDD- one spins down ohter not“ zu „2 identical HDD - one spins down other not“ geändert.
  • Are you sure Nextcloud prevents spindown of the data drive?

If it's not doing anything it does not access the drive.

EDIT: If you installed Nextcloud on the data drive it will never spin down, but if Nextcloud app and its db are running from the SSD and access HDDs only to browse data, it should sleep.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• Are you sure Nextcloud prevents spindown of the data drive?

If it's not doing anything it does not access the drive.

EDIT: If you installed Nextcloud on the data drive it will never spin down, but if Nextcloud app and its db are running from the SSD and access HDDs only to browse data, it should sleep.

Yes, because spindown worked for the data drive until I installed NC. App and DB are on the data drive :saint:

To change this would if work to delete NC, modify the compose file (App and DB folder on SSD), redeploy and copy old app and dB folder to the new destination on SSD. Or do I have to do a "clean" install of NC?

• Yes, because spindown worked for the data drive until I installed NC. App and DB are on the data drive :saint:

To change this would if work to delete NC, modify the compose file (App and DB folder on SSD), redeploy and copy old app and dB folder to the new destination on SSD. Or do I have to do a "clean" install of NC?

Yes, this breaks everything.

Are you using Docker to install Nextcloud? If yes, you can simply move and redeploy.

I guess you have only one partition on the SSD occupied by OMV. Use the following approach

• Since OMV only requires little space (32GB is plenty) resize the current partition with a Gparted live distro and create a new one with the remaining space
    • Install docker binary on the new partition
    • Install any app, db or docker container on the SSD, while pointing to data drives when needed.

This is the best approach for speed since all DBs will be on SSD and power consumption since HDDs will be allowed to spin down.

I am a fan of HDDs spindown as well - I rewrote the hd-idle guide because was bad.

That's ironic because right now I am troubleshooting a similar issue where drives spin up by themselves, and I am going trough my dockers.

• Since OMV only requires little space (32GB is plenty) resize the current partition with a Gparted live distro and create a new one with the remaining space
    • Install docker binary on the new partition
    • Install any app, db or docker container on the SSD, while pointing to data drives when needed.

This is the best approach for speed since all DBs will be on SSD and power consumption since HDDs will be allowed to spin down.

I am a fan of HDDs spindown as well - I rewrote the hd-idle guide because was bad.

I've done like you suggested. Now both drives spin down. Thanks again auanasgheps :*

• Offizieller Beitrag

When you install docker, it will use the "docker storage" path you specify in the docker tab of omv-extras. That is the path for images and container.

If you leave the default, it will be on the SD card, but you can change it to any other mounted drive. Example in the picture below.

The config and data folder for nextcloud will be created at the path which you specify during setup (e.g. in the docker-conmpose file).

• I know it is a nextcloud question but 32gb sdcard is enough for OMV and Nextcloud db and configs for an average user?

BTW I read that the script that install the OMB on SBC install something to prevend the sdcard to fail, will it disable writing on sdcard?

• Offizieller Beitrag

BTW I read that the script that install the OMB on SBC install something to prevend the sdcard to fail, will it disable writing on sdcard?

No. The script installs folder2ram. As result some of the log files are written to RAM rather than to the SD card. On demand or when the SBC is shut down the RAM is synced to the SD card so that the information are not lost.

I know it is a nextcloud question but 32gb sdcard is enough for OMV and Nextcloud db and configs for an average user?

Would be probably enough to start with. Then it is up to your usage.

I would use an SSD. Has also better performance. And you can keep the OS and everything else separated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

to prevend the sdcard to fail,

Not "prevent" but "significantly slow down". As macom explained above how folder2ram works: "...when the SBC is shut down the RAM is synced to the SD card..." So there is writing to the SD card, but it is greatly reduced by way of the Flash Memory plug-in. Nothing lasts forever, but with the Flash Memory plug-in your SD card will last much longer. Having a working back-up of that system SD card is a must, unless you enjoy starting over from scratch some day in the future. I have had several SD cards running for a couple of years now. But as I said, nothing lasts forever.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!