docker not starting after OMV update

• I had Docker running nicely with Portainer and several live containers (Nginx, Nextcloud, Pihole).

After a recent OMV update I cannot get Docker up again. I am posting the output below. Maybe someone can help interpret this.

Journalctl -xe output:

and the output of systemctl status...

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The docker service file has a restart=always policy. It helped me sometimes to trouble shoot an issue with a service to disabel that policy.

Usually I edit the service file directly, but a better method is to write an override file. So lets try

systemctl edit docker.service

paste

Code
    [Service]
    Restart=
    Restart=no

then

systemctl status docker.service

To undo the change (remove the override file)

systemctl revert docker.service

• I'm experiencing the same problem. Everything working great in OMV and Portainer until updating OMV on Sunday 4/18. Now docker will not start or restart. I have tried uninstalling docker and receive errors upon trying to reinstall.

Below is my systemctl status.

• Seems to be the same problem. I dont even want to re-install docker as I have so many containers up and running which took me weeks to configure. I fear they might all be gone if I re-install Docker.

Is there any one that can help on this Docker issue. Seems to be cause be a recent OMV update.

many thanks

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your containers will not be affected by a docker reinstall. With your existing setup do you have your Docker storage path to somewhere on /srv?

• yes my docker storage path points to a disk that is now (surprisingly) empty. Something must have happened during the OMV upgrade...one disk is completely empty and that was the disk where my Docker path is pointing to.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• So I solved the problem. The issue was some confusion with the mount-points.

I have several LUKS encrypted disks which I decrypt after booting via a script but apparently that now doesn't work anymore after the OMV update. I have to manually decrypt the disks each by hand in the OMV GUI.

After doing that, the Docker path is visible again and docker works.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

That encryption will trip you up every time. Glad you found your docker files.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• thanks for the link but this defeats this process seems to automatically unlock all drives after reboot.

That would defeat the whole purpose of drive encryption.

In my solution, there is a manual step, i.e. running of a shell script as root.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!