OMV System Drive issues

• Hi - I have been having further problems with my OS system drive nearly filling up repeatedly for the past few months. Docker/Plex are on separate drives so this is not causing the issue.

I've followed the How-To guide : [How-To] Fix full OS filesystem - GUI login loop

But is hasn't helped.

According to my OMV web UI, it says 86% as well as the output of df. This is about 11GB of my system drive.

But when I run du -xhd1 or ncdu, it only shows about 4GB being used.

So I don't where the extra data so that I can delete it ?

• Do you have a swap partition or file on your system drive? If so have you accounted for its size?

Try force unmounting your data drives and then look in their mount point directories. They should be empty.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• There is a swap filesystem but it shows N/A for storage but its always been like that - I believe thats part of the system OS.

I did unmount and still getting difference in storage data

Any other ideas?

• I am currently struggeling with solving a similar issue.

After an update my OS Drive is write-protected and I cannot get it writeable with the remount,rw command. At the moment I am kind of lost... I cannot get into the fstab and I cannot access the WebGUI.

The boot partition is only 32% used so that shouldn't be the culprit...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am currently struggeling with solving a similar issue.

After an update my OS Drive is write-protected and I cannot get it writeable with the remount,rw command. At the moment I am kind of lost... I cannot get into the fstab and I cannot access the WebGUI.

The boot partition is only 32% used so that shouldn't be the culprit...

Unfortunately that is a very different issue than the OP. It can be solved, but it's a pain. You'll have to download a Linux live cd, chroot your OMV install, then fix your fstab. Google will probably turn up a lot of info on this.

This is also a common sign that your OS drive has failed.

• Thanks for the quick reply. I dug a little bit and some say that this is also a sign of a slowly dying device... in my case a EMC. Bit strange though as it isn't old at all...

Getting a distro on live cd would not really solve the thing as I cannot get the device it out easily... I might setup OMV from scratch rudimentary just to access all my shares again and do some finetuning later on the weekend... anyhow I will definitely go the sd-card route again because of backing up everyhing way easier...

• Did you unmount all data drives? What is the content of /srv after you unmounted the data drives?

ls -al /srv

root@omv:~# ls -al /srv

total 60

drwxr-xr-x 15 root root 4096 May 14 17:08 .

drwxrwxr-x 21 root root 4096 Aug 14 08:28 ..

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Jul 21 2020 5abca6fb-5bf9-42da-8cf1-3f5e1381ff9 5

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Jul 21 2020 9b151806-f786-4611-8289-29b12d8a575 6

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Jul 21 2020 a222ea17-b53b-42a2-8278-3a7321364d3 1

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Jul 21 2020 d97deb01-7286-4661-b6d7-520fa715fe4 3

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug 31 15:38 dev-disk-by-label-Chimp

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 May 14 14:39 dev-disk-by-label-Elephant

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 3 2020 dev-disk-by-label-Hippo

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 3 2020 dev-disk-by-label-Monkey

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 May 14 14:40 dev-disk-by-uuid-02202802-36c8-4e4e -a5a4-82cab00ceb70

drwxr-xr-x 2 ftp nogroup 4096 Oct 22 2020 ftp

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug 14 08:27 pillar

drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Aug 14 08:27 salt

This is the output but not sure if this is normal - all drives have now been unmounted.

• cd /srv

and then post the output of du -hd1

and the one of lsblk

I ended up using ncdu and found some files in /srv even though all of the data drives were not mounted, so I deleted them to free up space.

I understand that when a data drive unmounts for any reason the files are copied onto the OS drive.

What I don't understand is does OMV create a directory called /srv on the system drive as opposed to the mounted data drives (which are also /srv), hence the confusion?

• What I don't understand is does OMV create a directory called /srv on the system drive as opposed to the mounted data drives (which are also /srv), hence the confusion?

/srv is a directory located on the system drive root. Below this directory are subdirectories. Some of these subdirectories have names representative of the data hard drives. These subdirectories are mount points where the data drives are mounted to.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• /srv is a directory located on the system drive root. Below this directory are subdirectories. Some of these subdirectories have names representative of the data hard drives. These subdirectories are mount points where the data drives are mounted to.

So am I right in saying if datadrive 1, datadrive 2 etc are unmounted then /srv/datadrive 1 & /srv/datadrive2 etc should be completely empty?

• So am I right in saying if datadrive 1, datadrive 2 etc are unmounted then /srv/datadrive 1 & /srv/datadrive2 etc should be completely empty?

Yes.

--

• Its happened again - my system drive has filled up while my backup program (urbackup) has been running.

The backup is set to an external data drive which has plenty of available storage. I've checked everything in urbackup container and it should be heading to the external drive but for some reason its failing the mountpoint and filling up the system drive. I can access the external hard drive through windows explorer so the hard drive is fine.

EDIT: I should add the when using ncdu the file size is much smaller than what is showing in the webUI again. The backup is working still and it filling up the datadrive, so it feels like it first goes to the system drive and when that is full, it reverts to the datadrive rather than the other way.

Any ideas to fix?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you mount the filesystem on the drive using the GUI of OMV?

In that case monit should give you a warning when the filesystem is not mounted and you should receive an email (if you have notifications enabled).

Check if the drive is mounted after a reboot. Sometimes USB connected drives are not mounted, as they are not ready when the system wants to mount them during boot.

You can check this with mount on the CLI or in the GUI of OMV.

• Did you mount the filesystem on the drive using the GUI of OMV?

In that case monit should give you a warning when the filesystem is not mounted and you should receive an email (if you have notifications enabled).

Check if the drive is mounted after a reboot. Sometimes USB connected drives are not mounted, as they are not ready when the system wants to mount them during boot.

You can check this with mount on the CLI or in the GUI of OMV.

Yes all of the drives were mounted through the GUI (as I receive emails). I left it with all mounted drives last night but overnight when urbackup ran it filled up the system drive first and then when that was full it reverted to the data drive

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!