Nvidia installation

• I was able to install the driver on OMV6 but I am stuck at

Code
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-container-runtime
     Unable to locate package nvidia-container-runtime

So how can I do that I need to find the way to install the package repositories for debian11?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't see that package name in any Debian repos. So, I am guessing you enabled another repo. Look in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ on your working system.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• This is the issue how to enable this in the source list, any package to add?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is the issue how to enable this in the source list, any package to add?

Those the debian repos. You must have enabled an nvidia repo at some point. But it looks like it wouldn't help yet.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• this exactly where I am coming from Step 4: Installing nvidia-container-runtime: Install the repository for your distribution by following the instructions here.

https://nvidia.github.io/nvidia-container-runtime/

list of supported vesion stop at debian10

should I enable pre-release?

Code
    sudo sed -i -e '/experimental/ s/^#//g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nvidia-container-runtime.list
    sudo apt-get update

• Lol, of course I came back.

the couple Nvidia/ambian 11 need to mature a little bit Probably few months down the road.

By the way I had to start again from scratch since my clonezilla backup was only separate partion (parts) witch was working between update but no at all if you reformat the drive for a new installation so from now on I will backup the entire disk, so can play between different install, but for now I am gonna wait a little bit. ;);)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Lol, of course I came back.

the couple Nvidia/ambian 11 need to mature a little bit Probably few months down the road.

By the way I had to start again from scratch since my clonezilla backup was only separate partion (parts) witch was working between update but no at all if you reformat the drive for a new installation so from now on I will backup the entire disk, so can play between different install, but for now I am gonna wait a little bit. ;);)

Maybe... do an install of 5.0 that is "stable".. and just get a 32gig flash drive, throw 6.0 on it, and boot it to do your experimenting. Just make sure you never mess w/ the OMV 5 OS drive, you should be fine.

• Very good advice and I am gonna follow it, the only think I remember for some reason or maybe I was not able to setup the BIOS I never been able to boot up from flashed OMV, and strangely no problem to boot from live CD from clonezilla or Gparted and of course the debian installer flash itself!;(

And by the way to stay on the same subject of going from one install to the other one, I got a question regarding Portainer is starting in generic mode. I finally understood why I need the data outside the docker volume for portainer, ( yes I am slow) but since I always used stack in Portainer itself?( I do not know how to deploy docker compose it in CLI ?:?:

• ?( I do not know how to deploy docker compose it in CLI ?:?:

Create a file named docker-compose.yml in a folder of your choice e.g. /opt/containers/portainer/.

Paste your code in the .yml file and save it. From the location where your .yml file is type docker-compose up -d to deploy the container.

succes

Frepke

HP t630 Thin Cliënt (AMD Embedded G-Series GX-420GI | QuadCore | 8GB)
    7.0.5-1 (Sandworm) | 64 bit | pve-kernel-6.8 | omvextrasorg 7.0

• Offizieller Beitrag

Very good advice and I am gonna follow it, the only think I remember for some reason or maybe I was not able to setup the BIOS I never been able to boot up from flashed OMV, and strangely no problem to boot from live CD from clonezilla or Gparted and of course the debian installer flash itself!;(

And by the way to stay on the same subject of going from one install to the other one, I got a question regarding Portainer is starting in generic mode. I finally understood why I need the data outside the docker volume for portainer, ( yes I am slow) but since I always used stack in Portainer itself?( I do not know how to deploy docker compose it in CLI ?:?:

Frepke answered your portainer question. docker-compose is how you handle that. I always just put the docker-compose file in whatever folder root is in, as after I do it the first time, I'll never use it again till a new install.

The other part about the flash drive... disconnect your OS drive and your data drives.. you'll need two flash drives. An installer with the debian netinst iso... and a "target" drive.. for the OS (you'll probably want 16-32gigs). Boot the installer, and install minimum Debian to the 32gig flash drive. Install OMV and omv-extras and the flash media plugin, with the omv-extras script.

Shut down, reconnect all drives. To boot OMV 5 install, choose the OMV 5 drive in the BIOS as first (I would leave the OMV 6 flash drive off the NAS unless you intend to use OMV 6).

When you want to test OMV 6.. insert the flash drive, and set the BIOS to boot the flash drive first.

Like I said, main caveat, just make sure you're not messing with OMV 5 OS drive. If you plan to mess with permissions, etc.. on OMV 6.. you might want to create a share just for OMV 6.. that way you don't accidentally screw up something for OMV 5.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The more I think about this, the more I think I'd make sure I was insulating OMV 5 from OMV 6, so you don't screw up your stable install..

If it were me... I'd probably set up an "OMV 6 share" just to test nvidia, media etc. You could easily move media, etc. in and out of that folder if necessary for testing. Set up a "test-appdata" folder for all docker /config directories on your omv 6 install, and then a "test-docker" directory for your docker root directory on omv 6. This should completely insulate OMV 6 from OMV 5 and no matter what you brick on OMV 6, you won't mess w/ OMV 5.

If you start messing with network shares, media files, etc.. it's very feasible you could start screwing with permissions, etc.. and make a mess of your OMV 5 install, which I'm assuming you don't want.

• Frepke answered your portainer question. docker-compose is how you handle that. I always just put the docker-compose file in whatever folder root is in, as after I do it the first time, I'll never use it again till a new install.

So far it is working very well although i probably did something wrong (of cousrse:)) since it started with the generic Portainer to create a new user:/, I filled up as new, since I had "just in case" a Portainer backup I was able to import it, anyway I put a symlink _data inside the container instead of the original _data witch I renamed _data_old

Everything is working good even after reboot and I do not know if it is this or a complete new install but no more permissions problem with handbrake(404):):)

I am just curious what will happen If I use the button to remove portainer and use also the OMV button to create it?

I did not Have time to play with OMV6 on USB but I will and let you know if I am ever able to have the PC recognize the USB:cursing:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!