Backup and upgrade

• Hello,

I plan to upgrade my OMV5 to OMV6 because of daily crashes of unknown origin.... maybe the desktop environnment....which impairs me to get support from here ...

so let's go for a fresh install!

but questions are:

is it possible to backup OMV5 settings (users, samba shares, etc...) and restore them into OMV6?

how to do that?

tnak you for your help

• is it possible to backup OMV5 settings (users, samba shares, etc...) and restore them into OMV6?

how to do that?

Not possible. Take good notes and maybe even screenshots of all your current settings and use them for guidance when recreating your configuration from scratch in the GUI. You can also keep a copy of the current /etc/openmediavault/config.xml file and look thru it for hints but the file is not importable.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Not possible. Take good notes and maybe even screenshots of all your current settings and use them for guidance when recreating your configuration from scratch in the GUI. You can also keep a copy of the current /etc/openmediavault/config.xml file and look thru it for hints but the file is not importable.

Hello, me again....

another migration option but now of OMV6 to another computer, new SSD, etc....

Is it safe to move the /etc/openmediavault/config.xml from the old computer to the new one in order to keep my settings etc.... ?

• Hello there...

So what would be the best way to backup all settings? Just in case of a system crash and a necessary initial install?

I just installed OMV 6 and it takes me few days to get everything running the way I need....

And I do not want to make everything new if I have to do a reinstall :(

7.4.3-1 (Sandworm) // ASRock J5040-ITX with Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver J5040 CPU @ 2.00GHz // be quiet! ATX 500W (BN46) // 2x4GB Samsung M471A5244BB0-CRC

Fractal Design Node 304 // 4-Port PCIE to SATA 3.0 ControllerCard // 1x 128GB SSD for OS and 2x 4TB, 1x 5TB and 3x 8TB HDD as one big fuse.mergerfs space (no need for raid parity)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Make a clone of your OS drive. If you have the OS on an USB connected device use for example usbimager. If it is on an internal drive you can use clonezilla.

There is also a backup plugin. Making the backup is easy, but to restore is not so easy.

Others just use dd to make a backup.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!