SMB share not working in LInux Mint

• Hi, I don't know what has happened, but a few days ago my Samba drive under Linux Mint just stopped working. I didn't change anything from Linux Mint nor OMV 5.

Here is one of the messages that I keep getting when trying to copy files from my Linux Mint desktop to my shared drive on my OMV server.

I just ran the chmod command to give access to everybody on my shared drive, sudo chmod -R -v 777 Media01 and still, can't copy nor change anything on the shared drive.

Here is my network drive share information under FSTAB from my Linux Mint system, //192.168.1.112/Media01 /media/Media01 cifs ,credentials=/root/.smb,_netdev,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.0,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

Both systems are upgraded.

Let me know any other information would be required to point me in the right direction to fix this problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• try adding

uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail

to your fstab cifs share. Make sure uid and gid are correct.

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von andrzejls ()

• Thanks andrzejls, I can copy/move/update/delete files to my OMV.

But when using the FreeFileSync program, I get this weird error, "cannot move the file to recycle bin" Never had that error before. What has changed in the past 2 days to be causing these problems with the Samba share drive?

• There is no reason you can't share the same resource via Samba and NFS simultaneously.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is no reason you can't share the same resource via Samba and NFS simultaneously.

I've heard some say it can cause issues, but I've never had an issue. All my linux machines share via NFS. My Shield/Kodi is another story. Despite saying it supports nfs, will NEVER connect to my nfs shares. I've went through it a dozen times, and server/client settings are right. I assume it's a client side issue, as all my other laptops, etc. connect no problem..

Eventually I just got frustrated and created an SMB share to my media folders just for my Shield, and it worked no problem. Now when I clean install OMV, I don't even think about it and just immediately set up the an SMB share for the Shield. Done in 2min

Maybe if the Shield was doing more than just reading media, I'd have more an issue.

• I've heard some say it can cause issues, but I've never had an issue. All my linux machines share via NFS. My Shield/Kodi is another story. Despite saying it supports nfs, will NEVER connect to my nfs shares. I've went through it a dozen times, and server/client settings are right. I assume it's a client side issue, as all my other laptops, etc. connect no problem..

Eventually I just got frustrated and created an SMB share to my media folders just for my Shield, and it worked no problem. Now when I clean install OMV, I don't even think about it and just immediately set up the an SMB share for the Shield. Done in 2min

Maybe if the Shield was doing more than just reading media, I'd have more an issue.

I run few Shields Pro with Kodi and never had a issue with NFS. I actually use NFS shares to run Kodi backups, but I use Samba for all other shares as it is faster than NFS. If you need I can help in config Kodi on NVIDIA Shield to use NFS.

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• My Shield/Kodi is another story. Despite saying it supports nfs, will NEVER connect to my nfs shares

Don't know shield, but if runs Kodi, just check if zeroconf is active.

It will find every share on the LAN if available.

• Don't know shield, but if runs Kodi, just check if zeroconf is active.

It will find every share on the LAN if available.

In Kodi you need to go to "File Manager" --> "Add Source" --> "Browse" --> "Add Network Location" "Protocol" --> NETWORK FILE SYSTEM (NFS)" --> type in your NAS IP address. Zero conf not always find all network connections/shares.

You, of course, have to have NFS shares created in OMV.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von andrzejls () aus folgendem Grund: Add note

• Zero conf not always find all network connections/shares

Maybe in my case, it always find because it's only 1 media share and then, all subfolders are automatically seen.(music, tvshows, movies, etc)

Had an issue on a Fire stick that wasn't connecting even with IP, but as soon as I activated the zeroconf, it found it imediatly.

But, too many ways to kill a flea, 😁

• Offizieller Beitrag

In Kodi you need to go to "File Manager" --> "Add Source" --> "Browse" --> "Add Network Location" "Protocol" --> NETWORK FILE SYSTEM (NFS)" --> type in your NAS IP address. Zero conf not always find all network connections/shares.

You, of course, have to have NFS shares created in OMV.

Trust me, done it many many times. Not sure what the issue is. NFS works fine on several other laptops, etc.

I'm not worried about it, SMB works fine for my shield. Not sure I agree with the speed comment. I've found them very very similar on my network

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!