So this is my first post on OMV and will be my first NAS build. I was using WD MY CLOUD for few years but gave up on me. I was looking for different option to buy and looked to see if I can do my own and came up with few choice, OMV, freeNAS and unRaid. I decided to go with OMV. I haven't even done anything as I am waiting for PSU to come. Here are parts I am planning to use. I believe it is overkill or may be not, please comment.
- AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
- Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard
- Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
- SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
- Fractal Design R6 case
- Drives are in 500gb, 640gb, 1TB and 2 TB and 4 TB. (Some old HDD except 4TB which is brand new Seagate ironwolf NAS)
- SSD 120GB
- 2 Flash drives
Here are my few Questions? I have zero knowledge in Linux or programming. I am pharmacist by occupation.
1) Should I use SSD for boot or flash drives?
2) What happens if BOOT drive fails? I read you can access using linux because it is linux based system, how does it work? Can i just reinstall OMV and access file again? I am planning to set up RAID configuration.
3) I am planning to run few VMs, Is it enough of power from this build to run?
4) Planning to run PLEX, so is 2400G good enough to transcode file for 2 or 3 devices?
Thank you and looking forward to be part of OMV commuity?