microserver gen10

• i need to evaluate hp microserver gen10 (with cpu x3216) as datastore/nas for my proxmox system an for local storage service, but i not understand if performance of cpu are good.

i read more info about this HP it seems a weak machine...
    Power consumption looks good... but if power are not sufficent i take classic commercial nas... or change to gen10 plus model.

Someone has benchmark of this situation?:/:/:/ an omv stable install?

tnks.

• Hi there,

I´m running OMV 4 on a proliant microserver Gen10 for more than 3 years now.

It´s a home application for files, backups and media only, so performance is not so critical.

Anyhow stability is really great, no issues so far.

Over the years, I upgraded Ram to 16GB (as I got a used one quite cheap) and added two HBAs.

Actually, there is the internal OS disk, 4 internal data disks, a back up disk connected to the internal USB and 7 (older) external HDD´s connected via the HBAs.

For me its doing a great job.

Hope that helps, please let me know if there is something specific I could do for you.

regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

tnks, akoller
    i'm interesting of omv compatibility because on forum i read a lot of people that have "HP problem or tuning" to install linux omv, but are old page post.

I would think as an "IT admin" you could be a bit more specific as to what you're talking about, because frankly it sounds like nonsense. I've seen the HP Microservers discussed here over the years so if there was some huge problem surely there would be a lot of threads on them (I rarely see any). Frankly, they are just an Intel servers.. so I can't imagine there being major issues so long as the devices support Debian 10 as a whole.

Do the Gen 10's have a problem with Debian 10? (probably not given it is one of the most widely used server OS's there is)... so I think whatever you're reading unless you can be more specific, is probably poppycock.

• Is there a limit on how big internal data disks you can use with the Gen10? (Or Gen10+) Like max 4TB each? Or can you use any sizes? Say 16TB or bigger disks?

... I would have to check the specs what official maximum size they indicate. So far I´m running 4x 6TB internal working fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do the Gen 10's have a problem with Debian 10

I would doubt that very much, the one problem I've found with HP servers is that they always want to boot from the first drive within the drive bay. The workaround is to create a Raid 0 from a single drive as the boot device, my Gen7 microserver I used the modded bios to overcome the problem, then boot from a flash drive.

• I would think as an "IT admin" you could be a bit more specific as to what you're talking about, because frankly it sounds like nonsense. I've seen the HP Microservers discussed here over the years so if there was some huge problem surely there would be a lot of threads on them (I rarely see any). Frankly, they are just an Intel servers.. so I can't imagine there being major issues so long as the devices support Debian 10 as a whole.

Do the Gen 10's have a problem with Debian 10? (probably not given it is one of the most widely used server OS's there is)... so I think whatever you're reading unless you can be more specific, is probably poppycock.

i read this when i serach info: (but is old 2017 tread)
    RE: HP microserver Gen10

I was just evaluating the hardware in question and asking for opinions

• I'm using a Gen8 Modell with 4 10gb drives and a esata card with a sata port multiplexer sata case which has additional 4x8tb drives

Works like a charm...

Also installed kvm and cockpit and pfsense as firewall for the whole net

Also very good!

• Offizieller Beitrag

... I would have to check the specs what official maximum size they indicate. So far I´m running 4x 6TB internal working fine.

From the manual:

Drive support information

This server has four drive bays that support:

LFF non-hot-plug drives. The maximum LFF drive capacity is 16 TB (4 x 4 TB).SFF non-hot-plug drives. This drive configuration requires the SFF-to-LFF drive converter option.These drives are not designed to be installed or removed from the server while the system is still powered on. Poweroff the server before installing or removing a drive.The embedded Marvell 88SE9230 PCIe to SATA 6Gb/s Controller supports SATA drives only. RAID 0, 1, and 10 levelsare supported.To configure drives connected to the onboard LFF/SFF drive SATA port, use the Marvell BIOS Utility or the MarvellStorage Utility .For SAS drive and advanced RAID support, install an HPE Smart Array Gen10 type-p SR controller option.To configure drives connected to the Smart Array controller option, use the HPE Smart Storage Administrator

This is one reason why I never got a HPE Microserver Gen10... Seems it is wrong?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think that 4TB limitation only applies if your bios is set for RAID. That is the way it is with my Lenovo ThinkServer TS140. If you turn the RAID setting off in the bios that limitation goes away. I don't know if that applies to the Gen10 Microserver, so you would have to dig a bit deeper to find out.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!