[HELP ME] How update PLEX?

• basically he is telling him to go read the documentation on docker, which i understand you cant help people by giving them the answer they need to figure it out for themselves, but a better solution would have probably guide him to find the solution at least that way other who come here looking for an answer will have an easier time.

What happens then if you simply can't figure it out for yourself? You come to this forum and ask for help.

Basically calls you and idiot and you thank you him,

• What happens then if you simply can't figure it out for yourself? You come to this forum and ask for help.

There are some people who will help you out, there used to be many more a couple of years ago but this is down to a handful. I can try and help tell me what's up please bear in mind i am only online most evenings/nights (UK time) so my response will be delayed

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are some people who will help you out, there used to be many more a couple of years ago but this is down to a handful. I can try and help tell me what's up please bear in mind i am only online most evenings/nights (UK time) so my response will be delayed

Well... to be fair... I've been around here a long time. While I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch.. I feel I can safely call myself an "advanced" user. I try to remember that OMV tends to attract a fairly new, inexperienced user base. They had an old computer laying around, maybe they've dabbled with Ubuntu or Mint.. they find OMV and think it's a great idea to get some use out of that old PC... and away they go to Google.

Many of them end blindly following Youtube videos (which often have bad, incorrect, or incomplete information) rather than making any attempt to actually understand what they are doing while following such videos.

In the case of Plex, I was unaware tagging it "latest" (much like NC) does not actually upgrade Plex since I don't use it. As was discussed in KillrBill's other thread, it's actually the environment variable "VERSION" that updates plex. Once it was explained to him how to adjust that, it seems to have solved his problem (or he marked it solved anyway).

I still think it's pretty important to at least try and have a basic understanding of what you are doing

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn’t read the thread closely, so I might have missed it, but did the op explain how Plex was installed? Docker compose, Portainer stacks, or just Portainer?

I think in any case all you need to do is restart the container in Portainer. It always works for me.

As an aside, but maybe more important, you really should up grade your server to OMV 6. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn’t read the thread closely, so I might have missed it, but did the op explain how Plex was installed? Docker compose, Portainer stacks, or just Portainer?

Now come on...lol. How long you been here?

I know when I asked the guy a few posts up in his other thread, he literally didn't know, he just knew he followed a YouTube video. Well there's only like 500 of those, each somehow doing it different.

• The problem with a lot of YouTube video howtos is that they rarely if ever mention any of the assumptions the creator makes, are rarely if ever updated to be kept current and so they eventually stop working, always reflect the creator's use case, but can never reflect an unknown user's use case because that's truly impossible and the video creators are smart enough to not even try that.

Then some of the users who mention using these videos rarely if ever post the actual configuration they used, they just mention or link to the video and say only that it didn't work. The assumptions they must be making (but never mention) in asking for help are that those reading their posts are long distance mind readers and all seeing, all knowing omniscient magicians.

Fortunately these problems almost always revolve around hobbyist use of software where failures to make things work can be inconvenient disappointments that almost always have an eventual solution, unless the thread degrades into a semester long Linux 101 course. It's not like trains are going to derail and planes are going to fall out of the sky if Plex isn't updating all by itself.

I'm waiting for the post that asks for help and mentions that OMV is being installed in a nuclear reactor control room, nuclear missile silo, or air traffic control tower with dockers running as root and exposed to the public internet. This would have to be a troll, but you know what - I couldn't be so sure.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• As Agricola, I also skimmed through this thread.

Only thing I can say is some (a lot) users who come here asking for help think that this forum is a help-desk for docker and assume that people here have to help.

This is OMV forum and if there's issues with docker/containers, what better place to get help than the proper place from where that container exist? Be it GitHub, a forum or any other place?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!