Plex Container/Portainer Install

• I think that could possibly be an issue. Just from searching it seems the 64bit Pi OS is beta.

As for privileges.. It should work w/o elevating yourself to a privileged user... If you have to do this, it would make me question where I went wrong.

As a new user of OMV, let me indicate how we arrived at this particular stage:

• I was looking for a way to use a Rpi4 4GB model as a NAS for my home "stuff"
    • I googled, and was introduced to OMV.
    • I followed a couple of recommendations, loaded Rasbian Bullseye 11 (latest Rpi OS) then loaded OMV.
    • After some difficulty, the community graciously indicated OMV6 (most recent version) gets loaded with Bullseye 11, but OMV5 (current stable version) gets loaded with Buster 10.
      • I was introduced to this problem after having difficulty after I updated OMV6 to its latest version
      • I was also introduced to the issue that I should install Plex in Docker, not as a stand-alone application on the Rpi
    • I re-flashed Rpi w/ Buster 10, and then loaded OMV, which loaded OMV5.
      • I was introduced to the issue that EXT4 file structure is the way to go with OMV.
      • I wiped/reformatted SSD with EXT4
      • I loaded Buster 10, OMV5, Docker, Plex within Docker
      • Plex would not work within Docker, but would work if I installed it directly to Rpi
      • The only "switch" that would make Plex work within Docker (for me), was to set to privileged user.

The community has been superb with assistance. I will be making a contribution. I indicate, however, that Rpi-s will become used more frequently - given their educational value (full disclosure: I am a Finance Professor who uses many advanced statistical techniques, and I am on a quest to use tools that generate the highest ROI for my research and teaching). I am a lifelong learner who appreciates the community I found here. I especially appreciate the input from Zoki, KM0201, and Agricola - as well as others.

Thank you all again.

How else can I be of assistance, not only for my individual issues, but to contribute to making OMV the NAS software of choice? Just let me know.

• Can you provide the link to the exact ISO image you used to set up the debian os?

Did you do any configuration to the OS itself besides installing OMV?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Can you provide the link to the exact ISO image you used to set up the debian os?

Did you do any configuration to the OS itself besides installing OMV?

I downloaded the iso circled below. I made no changes to my system other than to set it to go into 64 bit mode.

• You haven't considered the case where users have installed Plex directly on the host and changed the user: group it runs as to root:root. Lots have done that because they just could not get a grasp on how sensitive Plex is to not having their media files permissioned properly such that Plex running as an unprivileged user can read and write to them. Running as root makes that problem vanish.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You haven't considered the case where users have installed Plex directly on the host and changed the user: group it runs as to root:root. Lots have done that because they just could not get a grasp on how sensitive Plex is to not having their media files permissioned properly such that Plex running as an unprivileged user can read and write to them. Running as root makes that problem vanish.

This does not solve a problem, it is calling for trouble. But yes, having containers andy yt videos makes everybody an "expert".

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• sudo apt install -t buster-backports libseccomp2

and linuxserver/Plex should run without privileged = true

That's the theory at least ;)

You tell us, it is the 32bit version of Pi OS? Need to get one for OMV so I do not sound stupid any more..

• I downloaded the iso circled below. I made no changes to my system other than to set it to go into 64 bit mode.

And this is probably the root of the problem:

You have a raspiOS 32bit mixed with a 64bit kernel.

How did you set it?

Adding the arm64=1 on the config.txt???

• It's instructed in several tutorials I've seen, including the Raspberry forum.

But to run a full arm64 version, you need to flash the proper image.

It's available on http://downloads.raspberrypi.o…os_lite_arm64-2021-05-28/ for Buster/Debian 10

http://downloads.raspberrypi.o…os_lite_arm64-2021-11-08/ for Bullseye/Debian 11

• So removing this setting and sudo apt install -t buster-backports libseccomp2 should remedy the need for running the container in privileged mode.

A fresh install will be needed when upgrading to bullseye to get 64bit.

• Interesting... I was simply using the Rasberry Imager and chose the "legacy" version to insure compatibility with the stable version of OMV. I will reflash to Bullseye once OMV6 becomes the stable version.

• So removing this setting and sudo apt install -t buster-backports libseccomp2 should remedy the need for running the container in privileged mode.

A fresh install will be needed when upgrading to bullseye to get 64bit.

Apologies Zoki , but I'm confused... are you indicating the requirement to install the backport work-around and then remove the "privilege" switch? I thought that requirement was solely if one is running 32bit - but I could be wrong.

• If you remove the arm64=1 from config.txt you are on a normal 32bit OS and then the "work-around" works for you.

I would not continue with this hybrid, as there are not much people having experience with that. Stay with the mainline.

• If you remove the arm64=1 from config.txt you are on a normal 32bit OS and then the "work-around" works for you.

I would not continue with this hybrid, as there are not much people having experience with that. Stay with the mainline.

Ok, let me see if I can understand, Zoki You are recommending I do the following:

1. Remove the "arm64=1" entry from my config.txt file on my Rpi.
    2. Reboot.
    3. Run sudo apt install -t buster-backports libseccomp2
    4. Remove the "Privilege" entry in my Stack.
    5. Invoke the container and then see if I can log into Plex.

Are those the steps you indicate I should follow?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!