omv-extras 6.3 / openmediavault-compose 6.7

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I please make another couple of suggestions, is possible to have the 'environment' window have a roll down option? So that the actual 'environment' is not visible, which would allow the save button I can click the save bottom without having to scroll down, or use a number of tab clicks?

I guess I could make it less lines but is rolling the scroll wheel too much to ask?

I also use the KVM plugin and was looking at 'Services -> KVM -> VMs' and would like to see some of that detail in 'services -> Compose -> Files' at least whether the container is up or down, I know you've got the stats page, but I'm finding when I'm adding loads of compose files and when applying changes I forget which container are up or down

That is what the Containers tab is.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was curious about something. To be noted, everything is working flawlessly..

On Services : Compose : Containers there is an UP and a RESTART.

On Services : Compose : Files there is an UP and DOWN.

There is UP and DOWN on the Files tab because it is operating on the entire compose file. So, it brings all of the containers up or down (which is what it should do).

There is no Down on the Containers tab because it does not make sense to stop one container in a compose file (especially when there are many containers in that compose file).

When I click down, it mentions Removing and then Removed...

Maybe I am misunderstanding that, but is the DOWN under the Files section simply stopping the container or is it removing it?

The plugin is just running docker-compose down - https://docs.docker.com/engine…commandline/compose_down/

Can a DOWN be added next to the UP in the Container menu, so simple stopping container?

Excuse me if it is all good and I am misunderstanding it's functions.

No. If you want to take it down, work on the compose level in the Files tab.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Well that all went pretty good, just added 25 containers (decided to start from scratch) and everything seems to be working. So thanks for the plugin.

It's just another way of working, but I don't think I'll be going back to portainer though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's just another way of working, but I don't think I'll be going back to portainer though.

I'm really hoping more people see this. I really think the plugin is simpler and easier to recover from bad things since the compose files are stored in the OMV database and in actual files.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm really hoping more people see this. I really think the plugin is simpler and easier to recover from bad things since the compose files are stored in the OMV database and in actual files.

Once the wailing and gnashing of teeth settles down... It will be fine. I for one really like what you done here, and while I think some of the newer members will struggle a bit.. it will be fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

try to SSH your server and

systemctl stop docker

Let docker stop.

Refresh the OMV page, and try again.

Make sure before you restart docker, you set your container path (if you dont know it, get it before you save the changes above.. if you don't know how, ask)

• I'm really hoping more people see this. I really think the plugin is simpler and easier to recover from bad things since the compose files are stored in the OMV database and in actual files.

The only thing that did surprise me, was when I looked in the compose folder and saw that you couldn't edit the docker-compose.yml files direct, but again just getting used to how the plugin works.

I expect we may see a FAQ at some point and if it's like the KVM plugin it will only get better going forward.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The only thing that did surprise me, was when I looked in the compose folder and saw that you couldn't edit the docker-compose.yml files direct, but again just getting used to how the plugin works.

That is the OMV way. The database is the source of truth and the plugin uses saltstack to create/maintain the files just like other config files.

• Hello there,

I am a long time member here and unfortunately I was also hit by this update or improvement. So I understand the rational behind it and I am very thankful for the work of ryecoaaron I really would love a bit more smoothness in such an update. Especially thinking about the league of hobby OMV admins which struggle now as we see in thread, with the new way the docker and portainer things go.

OpenMediaVault 6.x (most recent stable version) -- 64 bit -- OMV-Extras 6.x (most recent stable version) -- Default Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

I really would love a bit more smoothness in such an update.

How? I would really love for anyone to tell me how to make it go smoother. And it isn't like this happens a lot. There was the docker plugin in OMV 3.x and 4.x. Very hard to maintain. So, I moved the docker stuff to portainer for OMV 5.x and most of OMV 6.x. The compose plugin isn't taking away the portainer option but it goes back to an easy to maintain native docker solution for OMV. I was debating on waiting for OMV 7.x but other mods thought I should make the move now.

unfortunately I was also hit by this update or improvement.

What do you mean by "hit"? If people want the docs to get better, I need to know where people are doing something wrong that is causing a problem.

• Yes, that is ryecoaaron 's reasoning. openmediavault-compose allows you to do what most people need to deploy a container, so you avoid having Portainer installed.

You always have the possibility to install Portainer as another container if you need it for any reason. In the examples there is a yaml ready to launch Portainer if anyone wants it, it's always been there.

So I have mariaDB installed in Portainer that runs database for 5 Kodi installs. How do I translate mariaDB with ALL data to new "compose"?. I hope that there is a pathway to do that, or if not this would be just colossal FUBAR.

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I have mariaDB installed in Portainer that runs database for 5 Kodi installs. How do I translate mariaDB with ALL data to new "compose"?. I hope that there is a pathway to do that, or if not this would be just colossal FUBAR.

And here is the problem with most peoples understanding of docker and portainer.

mariadb is not installed in portainer. It is a docker container just like portainer.

Assuming you used a stack in portainer for mariadb, you just stop the stack, copy the stack (really a compose file), and paste into a new File in the compose plugin. Save and apply. Then press Up for that file. It will use the same image and volumes. Nothing will really be new.

The only way anyone will be FUBAR is if they delete the persistent volumes that should be on your data drives. omv-extras and the compose plugin never have and never will do anything with those.

• Hi,

After upgrading omv-extras I followed the directions of post #1 (I was using docker with portainer created by omv-extras), but what I got so far is the following:

1- Docker is ok

2- Portainer replies with a black page

3- In Containers no data is shown

4- In Stats I see my two Containers (which work regularly)

What can I do to fix the situation?

Thank you.

OMV 6.9.15-2 (Shaitan) - Debian 11 (Bullseye) - Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.17-amd64

OMV Plugins: backup 6.1.1 | compose 6.11.3 | cputemp 6.1.3 | flashmemory 6.2 | ftp 6.0.7-1 | kernel 6.4.10 | nut 6.0.7-1 | omvextrasorg 6.3.6 | resetperms 6.0.3 | sharerootfs 6.0.3-1

ASRock J5005-ITX - 16GB DDR4 - 4x WD RED 12TB (Raid10), 2x WD RED 4TB (Raid1) [OFF], Boot from SanDisk Ultra Fit Flash Drive 32GB - Fractal Design Node 304

• Offizieller Beitrag

The idea of course, is to eventually get away from Portainer and keep things within the webUI and make support easier. I know this may seem painful, but I think in the end, this is going to be an excellent change. Transitioning is really not that hard.

Take a look in the guide section. I just put a simple guide to setting up the new plugin for both new and current installs. Once that's done and seems to sink in for everyone, I'll go over stacks to the new plugin.

• Assuming you used a stack in portainer for mariadb, you just stop the stack, copy the stack (really a compose file), and paste into a new File in the compose plugin. Save and apply. Then press Up for that file. It will use the same image and volumes. Nothing will really be new.

The only way anyone will be FUBAR is if they delete the persistent volumes that should be on your data drives. omv-extras and the compose plugin never have and never will do anything with those.

OK, followed your instructions and all seems to be OK.

Is above looks like what should be?

So what happens now to old Portainer container?

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von andrzejls () aus folgendem Grund: Added question

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is above looks like what should be?

Sure. You can't really get the name or description wrong. The important part is the compose file. If you copied directly from portainer, it should do the same thing.

So what happens now to old Portainer container?

If you don't need it anymore, run the docker container stop and docker container rm commands from the first post in this thread.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And here is the problem with most peoples understanding of docker and portainer.

mariadb is not installed in portainer. It is a docker container just like portainer.

Exactly, that's the first problem. I said the same thing in one of my first posts on this thread.

Portainer doesn't run any container, the container runs itself. Portainer is just a tool to make configurations in the container.

The problem is that the vast majority of people think that if you lose Portainer you lose all your containers because you installed them in Portainer, when Portainer is just another container.

The most curious thing about all this is that you can remove Portainer without any fear. The containers are still working and you can access them and stop them and restart them and do whatever you want from the CLI, they're still working. The problems come when people start doing strange things like deleting volumes.

The only fundamental issue is, and this is important, if you lose Portainer you lose the yaml configuration files. Therefore you cannot redeploy them. If the user has followed the guides posted on this forum for years and is a prudent user, they will have their backup copies of those yaml files safely. So you don't even need to recover Portainer, because it already has those files. In this case it is enough to stop and remove the container in CLI, two simple commands and deploy the container with that file again in the plugin.

It's actually very simple, if you understand it you don't have any problem. If you do not understand it but at least you have followed the recommendations, you do not have any problem either. If you don't understand it, you haven't followed the recommendations and you start doing anything, that's when the problems come.

Take a look in the guide section. I just put a simple guide to setting up the new plugin for both new and current installs. Once that's done and seems to sink in for everyone, I'll go over stacks to the new plugin.

Thanks for that guide, I think it was needed. It shouldn't be necessary but it seems that it is.

• This is my first post. I am a new user of Open Media Vault. I am trying to install it over the last weekend. I have been using you tube guides for assistance. None work now with the changes I could not get it working correctly so I started a new install yesterday. I got to the point where I am trying to download OMV-extras. I am getting the following message. What am I doing wrong?

sudo su -

wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…ckages/raw/master/install | bash

root@omv6:~# sudo wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…ckages/raw/master/install | sudo bash

--2023-05-30 08:19:03-- https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…ckages/raw/master/install

Resolving github.com (github.com)... failed: Name or service not known.

wget: unable to resolve host address ‘github.com’

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!