How to copy data to OMV

• At first I thought this thread was a troll, but km0201 is right, it really depends on the amount of data you want to transfer. Simply answer I would've given in the first place: Drag n Drop?!

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Why would you use the least fitting protocol for in-house network transfers? Just use Samba.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• indeed. samba + robocopy + shell script (or robocopy /Move)
    but if you want to use FTP, you can create simple job to delete local file once transfer is verified. if you use cuteFTP, it comes with a VBScript API, best for remote setups.

• but if you want to use FTP

And if he has a lot of small files this will take a looooooooooong time. FTP needs to re-establish the connection per file.

Greetings
    David

• telle wrote:
    but if you want to use FTP

And if he has a lot of small files this will take a looooooooooong time. FTP needs to re-establish the connection per file.

yes indeed!!! but for the scenario assumed, for each file transferred to the remote final folder (there maybe a temp, under script control, or default by ftp) check if it was correctly transferred (eg: checksum, or size, or..), then delete the local file...and start again...if you do want a more thorough mechanism...yes, slow!! (but quite safe and user controllable, in the abscence of AS2, for eg)

as mentioned, for local, samba+robocopy /move

(btw; I use an rsync job for local backup of OMV data to curlftpfs mounted box, as my OMV is in a HMNHDCE, so can't plug more HDs, other than USB which I use from time to time to transfer photos)

• Hello friends of OMV :)

I push this old thread to the top, because i have the same problem.

can anybody help me uploading files to my OMV?

YES - i have configured SAMBA and it workes.

But i need to upload scripts and want access to the root directories.

I tried to use sftp with total commander, but - hell - the sftp plugin do not work proberbly. Sometimes i can connect, but can not upload files. Next time i can not even connect..

So: can someone tell my how to upload files via and simple gui with write access to the root directories?!?

:)

Thank u !!

7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) // ASRock J5040-ITX with Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver J5040 CPU @ 2.00GHz // be quiet! ATX 500W (BN46) // 2x4GB Samsung M471A5244BB0-CRC

Fractal Design Node 304 // 4-Port PCIE to SATA 3.0 ControllerCard // 1x 128GB SSD for OS and 2x 4TB, 1x 5TB and 3x 8TB HDD as one big fuse.mergerfs space (no need for raid parity)

• Offizieller Beitrag

You are doing something very wrong or haven't thought trough what it is you are trying to do. There is no real reason why SMB, using normal drag-and-drop, shouldn't be suitable for copying over files to OMV. Besides, you are not supposed to write to any root directories in any filesystem on OMV.

That said, here is one way to copy files to OMV without any limitations or safeguards at all. Possibly making OMV unusable in the process:

You can use Midnight Commander and fish. Install MC on your OMV box. Login and start MC, possibly as root. Then open a ssh session in one of the MC panes, to some remote server also running ssh. Possibly as root on the remote server. And copy away from the remote server to the OMV box. You will be able to overwrite anything and everything. And do so without any regard to how file sharing on OMV works.

This may (is likely to) mess up your OMV box because access rights are not correct. And you are able to overwrite anything. But you may be able to fix some of the mess afterwards running the plugin reset perms.

There are many other ways, involving SSH, to do the same dangerous thing, but using MC and fish may be the easiest. At least to me.

• thank u for your help.

Is it right, that only root can SSH into OMV Box?

My user have all rights (I'm the only admin of this OMV system... It is only in my home network... Just a testing station on a VM)

As a root user I can go via sftp and can copy/move/delete files.

So with root user, my problem is solved...

But I thought I can do it with my user...

7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) // ASRock J5040-ITX with Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver J5040 CPU @ 2.00GHz // be quiet! ATX 500W (BN46) // 2x4GB Samsung M471A5244BB0-CRC

Fractal Design Node 304 // 4-Port PCIE to SATA 3.0 ControllerCard // 1x 128GB SSD for OS and 2x 4TB, 1x 5TB and 3x 8TB HDD as one big fuse.mergerfs space (no need for raid parity)

• Is it right, that only root can SSH into OMV Box?

This is not correct. Any user who belongs to the ssh group can ssh into the OMV box.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!