Should you resize root partition on flash?

• There is the flashmemory plugin which is significantly reducing the writes to the SD card.

As far as I know it does not matter how large the partition is. The controller of the SD card will level the writes to the complete available flash.

• Get a mirror?

Most likely you installed software in a way that means that flash is being used for storage. For instance docker app data with metadata databases for media servers.

You should create a share on the hard drive and use that instead.

There should be no need to resize partitions on the SD card. If you feel a need, then you are doing something very wrong. However the worst(?) that can happen, I assume, is only that the card fail prematurely and you may lose all data on the card. You can buy a new card, right?

Even if you only have a 8 GB partition on a 64-128GB card, that is perfectly fine. Leave the unpartitioned parts unpartitioned. Wear leveling will make use of the whole card.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Honest suggestion after having usb key or SD cards dieing: install OMV on the cheapest SSD you can find (64/128GB) and stop worring about it.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• install OMV on the cheapest SSD you can find

That’s fine if you are using an AMD-64 machine and don’t mind sacrificing a SATA port.

Simple and sure backup and restore: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV Version: Ver. 5 (current) - Hardware: NanoPi M4, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Booksonic, Calibre, & Heimdall - Acer Aspire T180, backup - Odroid XU4, Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Testing/Playing: hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2, and HP dx2400, Debian 10 XFCE.

• That’s fine if you are using an AMD-64 machine and don’t mind sacrificing a SATA port.

I have an AMD-64 machine and I didn't sacrifice a SATA port. I put the OMV 2.5in 16GB SSD into an external USB case and plugged into a USB port.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• :huh: I didn’t think of that.

Simple and sure backup and restore: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV Version: Ver. 5 (current) - Hardware: NanoPi M4, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Booksonic, Calibre, & Heimdall - Acer Aspire T180, backup - Odroid XU4, Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Testing/Playing: hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2, and HP dx2400, Debian 10 XFCE.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!