Letsencrypt and Nextcloud

• Nextcloud with Letsencrypt using OMV and docker-compose - Q&A

• thanks. I will try this.

I also have trouble generating my letsencrypt certificate. I always get error message:

waiting for verification...

Challenge failed for domain mydomain.xyz

Cleaning up challenges

Challenges failed for all domains

Have you seen this? Any ideas ?

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

• Forwarded from WAN to LAN (OMV server): yes

i am generating certificate with letsencrypt for OMV server first (not even considering Docker for now).

This throws the error message.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• According to the OMV 4.x docks (which respectively appear identical to 5.x):

Zitat

LetsEncrypt

Lets Encrypt certificates can be imported directly, just locate your /etc/letsencrypt/live/<mydomain.com>/<em>fullchain,privkey</em>.pem files and copy their contents in their respective field. No need to convert.

Couldn't you just create the certs with docker (or the shell preferably) and put them in the above? I'm brand new to docker and the linuxserver/letsencrypt container is awesome, but you don't have to use it. This will explain how to generate a cert on your OMV box independently without docker: https://certbot.eff.org/instructions. However, I'm not sure about letting it autoconfig your nginx or whatever OMV runs, but still you can generate the keys without doing that, it's pretty basic *AND* if even I can do it on a desktop... :-).

BTW, I completely understand why you're doing this and will be doing this _VERY_ soon. I'm learning to use Docker Swarm and to my beginner eyes, it seems easier this way with multiple remote OMV boxes from the remote maintenance side of things. In fact, I'm having a hard time seeing why you'd want the Docker container to have the certs while leaving OMV without them, but again I'm new.

But otherwise, wouldn't this simply be monson's quote up there with -p 443:444 or without that directive just -p 444:443? Maybe the reasoning you need to change ports would help suggestions.

• I have managed to create the certificate in OMV via the plugin. It all hinges on providing the right webroot directory (which is nowhere explained). Letsencrypt will not work if that directory points to the incorrect folder. So I have the certificate working in OMV (but Apple devices still dont like the certificate).

Anyway, now I will try to get the docker container to work with the certificate. The comtainer runs Nextcloud and my port redirection to 444 is necessary to be able to access OMV (via 443) and Docker-Nextcloud (via 444) since they both sit on the same server.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• you are exactly right. Thats why I do not want to install Letsencrypt docker. I have created a Letsencrypt certificate using the Plugin and I want to import this certificate into the Docker container that runs Nextcloud. This Nextcloud container is already up and running. Any Idea how to import this and utilise it inside?

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Unless its a wildcard cert, or explicity for your nextcloud subdomain that won't work.

PS: Wildcard certs only work via DNS Challenge.

Greetings

David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• nextcloud runs on the same domain as OMV. They are both just separated via the port number.

Would that certificate work if I import it into Docker-Nexcloud?

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• If its the same domain name it could work just fine.

Greetings

David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!