Space Needed for OMV5

• Hi guys it's the first time i'm writing here, i been lurking for a long time and managed to "build" , 2 years ago, my first NAS in a Dell Latitude D820 running OMV4. (also thank to technodad videos)

Now it's time to build a proper NAS and with some spare parts i have assembled a nice one (i guess)

i5 4460 (but i'm thinking about a 1220L v3)

8gb ddr3 1333

asrock h81m-vg4

case itek spacecube (cheap and fits my needs)

plan to transfer my 2TB 2,5" hdd and i want to add some other

At the moment i have OMV4 installed in a 8GB flash drive + transmission plugin and i noticed the "disk" is full.

The same in a VM where i tried to install OMV5 + qbittorrent in docker.

The question is, how much space do i need to install OMV5 and have some left to play with "containers" (and for updates)? I was thinking to use a 16GB drive, but i'm afraid it's however too small.

It's better to install on a 32GB stick or i need even more? I want to be "future proof" (or future-ready)

Thanks to will have the patience to answer this n00bish question.

Message for myself: before asking a question, remember reading Guides, Wiki and forum threads....

• Offizieller Beitrag

On a system that is properly configured (ie, containers stored on a data drive, etc.).. A 16-32gig flash drive really should be plenty with room to spare (after the installer takes some space for swap)

I've got quite a bit going on on my OMV 5 install, and the OS partition is just under 4gigs

So take that for what it's worth

• At the moment i have OMV4 installed in a 8GB flash drive + transmission plugin and i noticed the "disk" is full.

TIt's better to install on a 32GB stick or i need even more? I want to be "future proof" (or future-ready)

Thanks to will have the patience to answer this n00bish question.

Please consider to store dockers on data disk, not in boot disk.

• Thanks for the answer,

Containers are stored on the OS partition or in the other drive(s)?

I guess in the OS partition, but i'm a bit confused (i promised to study more for this installation).

Message for myself: before asking a question, remember reading Guides, Wiki and forum threads....

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the answer,

Containers are stored on the OS partition or in the other drive(s)?

I guess in the OS partition, but i'm a bit confused (i promised to study more for this installation).

If you set it up as recommended, they are on a data drive.

If you just blaze through and pay no attention, they are on your OS drive.. and some of the larger containers (Plex, Emby, etc.) can fill an OS drive very quickly.

SSH your server and with either sudo or root privileges type:

docker info | grep Root

If it returns a path to your data drives, this is not your issue with your full OS drive. If it returns /var/lib/docker.... its most likely your issue.

• I followed technodad video installing OMV5, so i guess the default action is to install on the OS drive. So i think the issue is the space used by docker.

Any (easy) guide to suggest to a proper docker configuration? Meanwhile i start to read carefully the OMV documentation.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, this is an issue I believe he misses in his videos, but I have not watched them in a while.

As for proper set up, under omv-extras/docker in the webui, there is a place to put a custom path. Problem is it just sets a path.. it doesn't move you current containers.

There are threads here on moving your containers to a data drive, and then pointing docker at it via the plugin

• Now the question is: in which drive is better to install docker?
    I'm thinking to use a 500GB 2,5" i have laying around only for torrent temporary files, may i install docker into it, leaving untouched the disk(s) with the Shared Folders.

• Now the question is: in which drive is better to install docker?

Any drive other than the OS drive so long as it is large enough to meet your current and future needs.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any drive other than the OS drive so long as it is large enough to meet your current and future needs.

Pretty much this.

I've got mine just going to a share along with my other media folders (torrents download, i move them to their proper directory when finished)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The question is, how much space do i need to install OMV5 and have some left to play with "containers" (and for updates)?

To answer your original question: 16 would be big enough but a 32 allows for room to allow the Flash Memory Plugin to work and reduce write-to wear and extend the life of your system drive. A 32GB usb stick is cheap (get two; one for backup).

If you are going to set up on the new machine you’ve built, don’t worry so much about the state of your system drive on the old machine, as long as you can still use it till the new machine is ready to transfer data over.

Before installing docker set the docker file path in the omv-extras tab to /srv/“any data disk you like”/docker.

You are really better off with a fresh install of OS and containers on your new machine.

• Hi, i'll definitively going with a 32GB Sandisk flair 3.0 i carry around with me

The new machine will have a fresh installation, also because the actual one is a bit messed up. I will only need to transfer my disk.

Following a guide i managed to install docker in a data drive (on a VM) and install qbittorrent, but it gives error after minutes while downloading.

I need to study and understand docker basis because i will be happy to install some containers and expand the potential of OMV.

I think i'll have all the time to do it, because i killed motherbard and cpu of the new server...

• I don't use Qbitorrent, but what is the error?

It seems more often than not, when there's download issues with the torrent dockers, it's usually a permission issue on the download folders

Following tehcnodad video on how to install qbittorrent i saw i need to create a "config" and a "download" folder.
    The first is used by docker to store configurations also for other container if i'm right.

Using his method, the plugin worked correctly. But then i uninstalled completely docker, reinstalled in the data disk and tryed to setup not with the "copy and paste" method but using the "recommended" method "docker-compose. (technodad uses docker-cli method and adds all the parameter manually)

qbittorrent docker

the plugin started, than i tried to add a couple of torrents (e.g. different linux isos) but after few minutes they stopped reporting an error.

i probably mistaken something adding the parameter -e UMASK=022 but i'm not completely sure

i think the best thing to do is to make a new clean install in a VM and start from scratch, so i can report more exactly all the steps.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Post the docker-compose you used.

Just for grins I just installed it and downloaded an Ubuntu torrent no problem.

• I removed the container, now i'll try to set i up a second time.

The route to follow is "stack - add stack - web editor - etc etc"?

P.s. how i can clean some space?

• I guess i managed to get it works:

I reset permissions on appdata folder, and i think i haven't understood completely how "path" works

I have this configuration

Under volumes i could have set /sharetry/appdata/qb/ instead of /srv/dev-disk....... ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I removed the container, now i'll try to set i up a second time.

The route to follow is "stack - add stack - web editor - etc etc"?

P.s. how i can clean some space?

A 4gig filesystem is way way to small. 8 is recommended minimum. Clearing space is not an issue, you need to fix that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, you have to use the full path (/srv/dev-disk-by.. etc/ ). If you want to shorten those an make them easier to use, look into using symlinks.

• A 4gig filesystem is way way to small. 8 is recommended minimum. Clearing space is not an issue, you need to fix that.

In the VM i formatted a virtual 8GB hard drive for OS and the result is this. I have the same situation in my actual OMV4 server: 8GB usb stick, 4gb of usable space.

I think is better to close this thread, it's becoming a mess of random question...

Now that i killed my hardware, and i'm waiting (hopefully) for the new components to arrive, i need to study better and try to understand the basis of the configuration. Probably is better to open new thread(s) when i'll build the new system (or when i'll play in a VM)

I'll need to configure and use containers, i'll need to transfer my hard drive, i'll need to configure multiple drives... a lot of thing to do (at least for me).

Thanks for all the replies, OMV is a great OS with a great community!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!