Update Management - Hide Updates

• The update management section sorely needs the ability to hide updates and show which are necessary system updates (maybe linked to the modules already installed) versus optional updates.

As im not that tech savvy and hate having to scroll thru loads of updates i just install whatever is shown in the updates section which is going to lead to a bloated install.

Forgive my ignorance if there is a facility to do this and if this is in the wrong section or has been requested before. This is the only criticism i have of OMV as it sits doing its thing for me flawlessly :thumbup:

• If that's the case , then cool...... but i'm pretty sure I've seen drivers and other stuff that doesn't look very relevant to my install showing up in the past.

The ability to hide ancilliary stuff would definitely be useful do you not agree?

2 updates have shown up today for docker, one being a CLI that i doubt i'd ever use. The ability to hide that would be useful as if i hadn't installed it, it would be sitting there staring at me everytime I check for updates hence why ive installed it and the bloated install comment.

• I'm really not hating and in the grand scheme of things its probably not very big files but the facility to decide what you want to add and be able to hide what you don't would be useful IMHO

Just putting it out there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Many packages are installed by debian installer that do not apply to your system. You should update them as they might be security vulnerabilities. You could probably remove some but it is probably more trouble than it is worth.

You can run apt autoremove to remove any packages that are no longer needed. Older kernels are a large file that becomes obsolete. Then run apt clean all to remove some apt cruft.

• What is more challenging:

1. Installing reccomended updates or
    2. deciding what is not relevant today and will not become relevant in the future and hide it?

Ddebain has a very solid and proven package management system, rely an it.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I've no problem with recommend updates.

The point i'm making is, things that aren't relevant to my installation at this point of time could have another tab of hidden items easily enough.

So the possibilty of hardware changes or indeed things like CLI's could be put out of the way until possibly needed in the future.

So the main page of updates could be easily seen.

If a blanket install of every update that shows up is the done thing so be it. I'll roll with that.

• I don't understand why you would decide to keep outdated stuff on your system. If you are conserned about disk usage and are sure you do not need something, uninstall it.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The only reason I could understand to keep a system that is not completely up to date would be that this system is completely disconnected from the internet and never comes into contact with recent files. Any other situation falls under the category of recklessness, from my point of view.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are running low on disk space something else is wrong.

Keeping your system as designed and updated will make it easier for others to help you. If you remove something you think you don't need it may be required by a plugin you install someday. The maintainer of the program assumes you have that package so does not add a check for it. The result could be it works for others but not you. How much hair do you have to lose?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you see an update, it is either already on your system and needs to be updated OR it is a new dependency of something installed on your system which needs to be updated. Trying to avoid "bloat" by not installing a few driver packages is not the right way to do things. You could hold the packages and they should not show up in the list BUT that may cause problems or prevent an update of important packages later (like the kernel if you held driver packages).

I would listen to others and not fight with what apt wants to do (unless it is removing OMV itself).

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Old thread, I know, but I was running into a similar "issue": when putting the kernel and firmware on hold in order to prevent future updates OMV tells me nontheless that there are indeed updates. As I am no longer able to tick which update I wanna get within the GUI I suppose I have to do future updates manually over the cli in order to prevent OMV to also install the kernel updates, right?

Or is there a possibility to still use the GUI for updates but current firmware and kernel remain untouched?!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Or is there a possibility to still use the GUI for updates but current firmware and kernel remain untouched?!

If you have them marked hold with apt-mark, then clicking update in the Updates tab won't update them. They will stay in the list though.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• Okay. Does that also include the omv-upgrade command executed via cli? Because I did hold the kernel (showhold shows the entries accordingly) but somehow the machine did update to the latest kernel.

Sorry for these noob questions but I thought: once I mark them hold that either way it is impossible to update to the latest firmware and kernel.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does that also include the omv-upgrade command executed via cli?

Yes

Because I did hold the kernel (showhold shows the entries accordingly) but somehow the machine did update to the latest kernel.

What kernel did you hold? If it was a backports kernel, then you need to hold two packages - the versioned kernel package and the linux-image-amd-64 package.

I thought: once I mark them hold that either way it is impossible to update to the latest firmware and kernel.

It does if you hold the right packages.

• Thanks for clearing that out.

What kernel did you hold? If it was a backports kernel, then you need to hold two packages - the versioned kernel package and the linux-image-amd-64 package.

I put these packages on hold:

armbian-bsp-cli-helios64

armbian-firmware

linux-dtb-current-rockchip64

linux-image-current-rockchip64

linux-u-boot-helios64-current

Just checked this morning within the OMV gui and also the former kernel updates vanished - which is great. Ran the most current update via cli and indeed did not touch kernel or firmware.

So that's great news, bit strange though that it did upgrade yesterday via the cli... Anyhow: works :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

For me packages that are marked as hold (e.g. apt-mark hold openmediavault) are not displayed in the UI. But, this only happens after an additional apt-get update, otherwise the cached index of upgradable packages is not refreshed. This is normally done automatically, but it seem apt-mark does not trigger the APT internal hooks that are used to refresh the OMV package index.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!