My OMV got hacked, I need help

• Hello,

Please I need help,

This morning I woke up and realised that my Heimdall had been edited by someone else, though I'm the only one in the house who knows Heimdall even exists.

The Application list was emptied and a new user called "plop" was created, with a picture of a group of dudes looking angry.

I've immediatly turned off my nas, and removed the network cable... and now I'm afraid to turn it back on.

I'm pretty sure that they've put that picture after collecting everything they could...

I've checked my notifications emails and saw this email at 7:36am :

The following users are locked/banned or are candidates for too many failed login attempts:

root:

When: 2023-03-27 15:22:24

Type: RHOST

Source: (an IP address that is not mine)

Valid: V

Then at 8:33 an email titles Anacron Job 'cron.daily"

Can you please tell me how severe this is for the personal data that I store on that NAS, and what should be my next steps ?

To be transparent, I'm freaking out.

Thank you so much in advance,

Warm regards,

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm sorry to hear that. You should tell us more about your setup. According to your post i assume you've exposed OMV and your apps to the internet. I also assume that you are running Heimdall via Docker container, right? Getting the email The following users are locked/banned or are candidates for too many failed login attempts: sounds good because it looks like they did not get access as root user.

You should post your question in the Heimdall forum because it looks like they have a security issue that allows attackers to get access to their UI. Running Heimdall in a container should minimize the current situation because they shouldn't be able to break out there idealy. But i'm no expect here, maybe someone else can give more information.

• You're right, I'm exposed to the internet via Duck DNS and Heimdall is running via a Docker container

Did you have a password protected Heimdall access or you could just open the page and it would show the apps links?

If the later, then the system was open to, at least Heimdall.

Not good news, but as votdev Said, with the blocked user, the hack may not gone to deep.

For now, try to start the NAS disconnected from LAN, and list the files/folders to see what is the damage.

Search internet on common files extensions of ransomwares.

• Thanx for your quick reply,

You're right, I'm exposed to the internet via Duck DNS and Heimdall is running via a Docker container.

I expose mine too but i configure it to ask for user/password like is described on: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/heimdall/

your logical next step are:

1 - delete your actual heimdall config and recreate container from scratch

2 - protect it like is described on documentation.

• Offizieller Beitrag

what should be my next steps ?

What would I do in a case like this? It may seem excessive to more than one, but I would risk it:

- Cancel external access. Close external access ports to the server on the router. Start the server on the local network.

- Malware. Try to find some way to scan the server to check if you have malware or not. I guess someone else will be able to help with this. In any case I hope you have automatic backups of your data. If so, stop the autorun. If you had malware on your server the backup should still be clean depending on the time elapsed so far.

- Do a clean installation of OMV. Restore the backup on the data disks. Reinstall services. It may seem paranoid but not doing it is taking a risk.

- Change all passwords for all services and change ports on the router. Use secure passwords, for this applications such as Keepassxc or Bitwarden can help you.

And as a personal opinion, exposing any service on the Internet with access through a user password is an unnecessary risk. I only do Nextcloud to facilitate access to my wife, share work files, etc, but Nextcloud is sufficiently protected, two-step access, fail2ban, ... I access everything else with Wireguard. I only need to access it, so why open more doors to the internet than necessary? You just have to press an icon on the phone to access with a VPN.

• Offizieller Beitrag

One more thing, if you have the possibility to change the public IP of your router I would do it too. If you do that and modify your domains you will disappear for the hacker who located you.

For example, with my ISP's router if I do a factory reset and reboot my public IP changes.

• You guys are amazing !

Thank you raulfg3, all changes to Heimdall are done now : remove all configs, reinstall from scratch and set an admin user with complex password.

Thank you Chente, I've now cut all external connections, changed all users passwords and I'm considering starting everything from scratch.

From what I understand now, they only got access to my Heimdall homepage because I did not set a specific user. They still know my Duck DNS domain, which I will change asap.

I'm guessing they never had access to any other internal resource.

The OMV community is really amazing - thank you all very much !

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm guessing they never had access to any other internal resource.

That will depend on what services heimdall had access to and what protection each service had. You are the one who knows best.

Heimdall is only a gateway to other gates.

• Personally, the only services I have internet exposed are things that I want other people to access, but even those are login account protected.

Anything else that I would consider more of an admin function, like heimdall (personally I run dashy instead), portainer, OMV UI, etc, is only accessible from the internet via a wireguard vpn.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Personally, the only services I have internet exposed are things that I want other people to access, but even those are login account protected.

Anything else that I would consider more of an admin function, like heimdall (personally I run dashy instead), portainer, OMV UI, etc, is only accessible from the internet via a wireguard vpn.

Yeah, I've never forwarded Heimdall. Honestly, I'm not even sure why I have Heimdall anymore. I have a pretty organized set of bookmarks that take me to my domains

• Yeah, I've never forwarded Heimdall. Honestly, I'm not even sure why I have Heimdall anymore. I have a pretty organized set of bookmarks that take me to my domains

I hear ya, I set up dahy to "have a look" at it as a potential multi-user splash page for use at the office where I am jumping around the building from Linux to Mac to Windows so I could get access to the various servers I run. At home I use opera and just have the links I need in a speed dial group.

Even at that though, I tend to remember the ip's easy enough, but I was also thinking about a couple of other's in the office that are not as tech savvy but still expected to log in to a couple of the servers to change an occasional config or reboot one if I'm not around. So the plan in the upcoming facility upgrades is dashy for the splash page for the server config pages (I kind of like dashy more since it is a little less "flashy" and it shows the "online" status of the servers via a green/red dot) and a small lxc running olivetin accessible in dashy with buttons that are pre-programmed ssh cli commands that will ssh to a server and run a command or script without those others having to venture into the scary world of the cli. Both of the others are petrified of it.

• Personally, the only services I have internet exposed are things that I want other people to access, but even those are login account protected.

Which through many discussions I am nearly at as well. Actually, I am at that stage now.

• May I suggest "real" router/firewall like pfSense with IDS/IPS running?

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• if you don't want to go down the cloudflare or pfsense/opnsense road, at the very least you should be using a reverse proxy like swag or nginx-proxy-manager with fail2ban enabled so that hammering by a hacker is blocked after a few failed login attempts. I believe swag has fail2ban built in, while nginx-proxy-manager requires an extra docker container and some custom config to make it work.

• May I suggest "real" router/firewall like pfSense with IDS/IPS running?

Isn't fail2ban or CrowdSec enought for this type of attack?

EDIT:

if you don't want to go down the cloudflare or pfsense/opnsense road, at the very least you should be using a reverse proxy like swag or nginx-proxy-manager with fail2ban enabled so that hammering by a hacker is blocked after a few failed login attempts. I believe swag has fail2ban built in, while nginx-proxy-manager requires an extra docker container and some custom config to make it work.

Read it after :p

• Isn't fail2ban or CrowdSec enought for this type of attack?

EDIT:

Read it after :p

fail2ban works well for hammering attacks, but you have to ensure it is working. Try logging in from the internet with bad credentials and monitor the fail2ban logs to make sure it is seeing the attempts. Keep doing it until you see exceed the number of set bad attempts a ban happens then try with correct credentials. If you can't get in the ban was successful.

You may want to check the set maxretry attempts, findtime and bantime though. The defaults are pretty low, so if the hammering is happening at a slower rate than that, it is not really effective.

I have mine set like this (5 failed attemps in 1 hour results in a 12 hour ban):

maxretry = 5

bantime = 10800

findtime = 3600

You can then remove the ban for yourself and feel fairly confident that it's working.

It will not protect against someone that knows the credentials already, so if you have been breached already, you need to change all credentials too.

• There's some misunderstandings on this matter.

The reason that OP was hacked, is none other than the fact that the container was running wide open.

When launching Heimdall and reverse-proxy it (be it via SWAG, NPM, whatever) it should be enforced that it should be configured a password access on it:

If people don't do this, anyone who can manage to find the URL, will be able to do any changes they want (which was the case of OP).

If the container is running as an unpriveledge user, the hack won't go too far other than beeing able to change the Heimdall container itself.

The links on the above example point to reverse-proxied services that will require another auth, once clicked. (NOTE: except SCRUTINY but will explain below)

The above example has only default links on Heimdall that point to other proxied services. Clicking those links will open NEW webpages that require another authentication. Hack will be blocked.

Now, let's add some complexity to this:

Imagine that USER created the links with access to extract INFO from the services that the links point to (which required saved USER/PASSWORD) to read some METRICS from those same services.

The HACKER will be able to find more INFO on how to access those services.

As mentioned above, the SCRUTINY service that is seen on that PAGE, once running, is open to the world.

Although it's a not-so-dangerous container, it's still accessible from anyone via WAN (if they figure out the URL), as long as it's running.

With this in consideration, I keep the container down, until I want to see the INFO from it:

Go to OMV GUI, launch the container on Services-> Compose, access the SCRUTINY PAGE, see what I want to see and bring the container down, afterwards.

So, TL:DR;

When running Heimdall, make sure that a USER/PASSWORD is set/created PRIOR to make any hops/links to block any unwanted access.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!