Plugin for Emby or Plex?

• Offizieller Beitrag

How do I find my PUID and PGID please? for starters!

Did you figure it out?

Then his point number 15 I am not sure which disc I am entering in here..

Code
        volumes:
          - /srv/dev-disk-by-label-disk1/appdata/plex/config:/config  #adjust /srv/dev-disk-by-label-disk1 (mounted 'exec')
          - /path/to/tvseries:/tv                                     #adjust according your setup
          - /path/to/movies:/movies                                   #adjust according your setup; add more volumes if needed

You need to adjust the left side of the ":"

For the first one it is the absolute path to the folder where you want to put the config. The folder does not have to exist. It will be created during start up. Usually it is even better if it is created during start up as then permissions and ownership are set correctly.

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-disk1/

is for example the path to your data drive. You find it in the GUI of OMV (see picture). It is the first part what of what you see in the column "absolute path". In your case it might start with /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-......

For the other two you add the absolute path of the shared folder where you have your media.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm still trying lol

Type the command id followed by the user you want to find out PUID and PGID. Example for user "jack":

Code
    id jack

the command output will give you what you are looking for

• Offizieller Beitrag

Probably should have updated this last night.... He was just lost. We took it to PM and I walked him through it. His server is a little slow so not sure how well it's going to work for him, but as of last night it was scanning his media..

• Did you figure it out?

Sorry yes thank you; all sorted! KM0201 helped out.:thumbup:

Type the command id followed by the user you want to find out PUID and PGID. Example for user "jack":

Aaron

OMV on AMD Athlon 5150, Gigabyte am1m-sh motherboard 12gb ram. OMV OS on 80gb 2.5"hdd and using 4TB WD NAS Pro drive

• Probably should have updated this last night.... He was just lost. We took it to PM and I walked him through it. His server is a little slow so not sure how well it's going to work for him, but as of last night it was scanning his media..

Yes used it watched a film on it yesterday through PLEX on my LG TV and works fine so far.

Although I can't seem to access my NAS folders through my windows 10 laptop. Hopefully not related. I have "reset permissions" on the file system.

I access the folders using SMB/CIFS anyway I'm working on it now...

Aaron

OMV on AMD Athlon 5150, Gigabyte am1m-sh motherboard 12gb ram. OMV OS on 80gb 2.5"hdd and using 4TB WD NAS Pro drive

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes used it watched a film on it yesterday through PLEX on my LG TV and works fine so far.

Although I can't seem to access my NAS folders through my windows 10 laptop. Hopefully not related. I have "reset permissions" on the file system.

I access the folders using SMB/CIFS anyway I'm working on it now...

I don't use Windows, so I won't be much help here.. but seem to I recall reading there are some issues with Windows 10 and Guest SMB accounts.. are you trying to log in from Windows as a guest or as a user?

• Well I managed to access my shared files on my PC; but had to enter my user (root) and password on windows to access them for some reason.....

oh well probably a windows thing!=O

Aaron

• I don't use Windows, so I won't be much help here.. but seem to I recall reading there are some issues with Windows 10 and Guest SMB accounts.. are you trying to log in from Windows as a guest or as a user?

Yes I was just opening up the files through windows as I normally would, so as a guest I think. But it kept coming up with a windows box asking for a login, so I logged in as the root

Aaron

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes I was just opening up the files through windows as I normally would, so as a guest I think. But it kept coming up with a windows box asking for a login, so I logged in as the root

Yeah, you don't want to do that (surprised it even let you)

As I recall, you have a user on your machine (under USERS, in the OMV UI).. log in with that users credentials. As long as that user has permissions on the folder in question, you should be able to use them no problem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well I managed to access my shared files on my PC; but had to enter my user (root) and password on windows to access them for some reason.....

oh well probably a windows thing! =O

I think it is not advisable to log in as root from windows. You should create a user in OMV and give read write permission to the files. Then log in from windows with that user.

• Ok thanks guys, I will login as a user... is there any reason why it is not advisable to login as root through windows to access my files?

Also does this mean I should not go into the GUI for OMV signed in as the root too?

Aaron

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok thanks guys, I will login as a user... is there any reason why it is not advisable to login as root through windows to access my files?

Also does this mean I should not go into the GUI for OMV signed in as the root too?

My 2 cents...

Logging into the GUI via root is specifically disabled, so there shouldn't be a way to do it anyway. The admin account is fine for the webUI. In this case doing all this as root with SMB, you could easily end up with a shit ton of permission issues.

Only use root when you need to root's elevated privileges (and for the most part on OMV, that should be very rare if you're using the webUI for things like updates, creating shares, etc.). Use your user for all other things... I personally go as far as disabling root access via SSH as well, and always SSH as an unprivileged user. If you're a regular user, you will know you need to be root as when you try to do something you'll get 'Permission Denied'. If for some reason I find I need to be root, I just use su - , which prompts for your root password, and then you're root. Do whatever it is you need to do, then type exit and you're back as a regular user again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!