How to setup file systems

• Hi all,

Just started playing with OMV and I have a question.

I have a single drive system that I've installed Debian 11.3.0 on and I have tried to follow the directions here. as was recommended in the OMV documentation. However the partitioning section is missing a few screenshots and I was not sure what to do.

I've ended up with one large partition, which I do no think was intended.

Code
    root@OMV:~# lsblk
    NAME   MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda      8:0    0  100G  0 disk
    ├─sda1   8:1    0   99G  0 part /
    ├─sda2   8:2    0    1K  0 part
    └─sda5   8:5    0  975M  0 part [SWAP]
    sr0     11:0    1 1024M  0 rom
    root@OMV:~#

OMV6 shows the same:

qRAiN3H.jpeg

If someone could let me know the preferred partitioning method when install Debian it would be appreciated.

TIA

OMV 6 Lenovo M910q - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500T CPU @ 2.50GHz 16GB RAM

• Agricola

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

OMV is intended to be installed on the whole drive. What you are trying to do is not common. Assuming you are using an -x86 machine - many (most?) install their OMV operating system on a 16 or 32GB USB flash drive.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can reduce the size of sda1 and increase the size of sda2. Then you can create a filesystem on sda2.

Either you start over and create the partitions in the manual mode with size you like, or you boot into a linux live distro with gparted and do the resizing there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, this maybe the case. But installing it over Debian is a recommended method too.

I was not arguing against that. I was merely pointing out that if you have a USB port a much smaller USB flash drive for your OS will make operations and maintenance much more simple. You don’t even have to worry about partitions and resizing.

I've installed Debian 11.3.0 on and I have tried to follow the directions here. as was recommended in the OMV documentation.

Yes, there is a Guide on this forum (by the OMV developer, no less) that explains how to install OMV over an existing Debian system. I believe the recommended Guide is this one which uses an OMV iso found here. For OMV5 use the stable iso and for OMV6 use the testing iso.

I know this doesn’t address your original question - macom answered that for you. But since you started your post with “…just started playing with OMV…” I thought you might appreciate a starting tip. Take the time to read the Guide I linked to above.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is little reason to partition the OS drive because the sharerootfs plugin lets you use the root partition. Either way, if you have data on your OS drive and it fails, you lose that data. That is why OMV has always recommended not putting data on the os drive.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Either way, if you have data on your OS drive and it fails, you lose that data.

Yes, I completely understand that and also the reasoning behind it. However, if you have OS and data on separate drives and the data drive fails you still lose that data.

So I'm presently tossing up between a new 4TB only SSD with a small 10GB home partition for OMV or the same 4TB SSD with a 16GB USB Flash Drive. I'm leading towards the former but worry about updating OMV 5 as version 6 and its updates happen.

• I've been running OMV on a 16GB flash drive since OMV 2.x for nearly seven years and have updated it four times to OMV 6. Never had a problem.

My use case is clearly different though as I have thirteen data drives totalling 62TB data and 24TB parity.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I've been running OMV on a 16GB flash drive since OMV 2.x for nearly seven years and have updated it four times to OMV 6. Never had a problem.

My use case is clearly different though as I have thirteen data drives totalling 62TB data and 24TB parity.

Hi, when you update did you do a fresh install or update? thanks

• Yesterday i upgraded two system usin omv-release-upgrade without any problem. What are your concerns?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Yesterday i upgraded two system usin omv-release-upgrade without any problem. What are your concerns?

I haven't been att the server location, will be there next week.

Trying to find much as possible about the upgrade.

One server is running RPi4 the other a amd64

In your opinion it should work Zoki?

I saw in your guide :

If you installed software from foreign repos make sure they have a release for bullseye or remove the repos / software

How can I check this?

Thanks

• If you installed software from foreign repos make sure they have a release for bullseye or remove the repos / software

How can I check this?

Thanks

Check for repos in /etc/apt/sources.list.d and finde the docs for what you installed apart from omv.

Or check the contents of the repo by brwsing it.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Check for repos in /etc/apt/sources.list.d and finde the docs for what you installed apart from omv.

Or check the contents of the repo by brwsing it.

Here is my contents :

omvextras.list openmediavault.list

openmediavault-kernel-backports.list raspi.list

openmediavault-local.list vscode.list

openmediavault-os-security.list zerotier.list

Skall I remove ?

raspi.list

vscode.list

zerotier.list

Thanks

• Can I ask, what is the upgrade path if I install OMV5 over Debian 10 with a separate home partition? Just trying the get all my options before making the step.

TIA

• zerotier.list

You only need to check if zerotier has a release for bullseye. They should have ...

Then just update

• Can I ask, what is the upgrade path if I install OMV5 over Debian 10 with a separate home partition? Just trying the get all my options before making the step.

TIA

omv-release-upgrade will do what is necessary.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!