Critical words: Samba mounting issues with OMV6 and Windows 10/11

• Hi together,

after a good starting with OMV6 I want to let you know what we lost velocity on OMV6.

And we are about stopping any further time investing.

Why?

we are using a while already free/trueNAS and could use successfully the the sharing options with windows clients (win servers and non-servers)

Sadly the system administration of trueNAS is not that intuitive as with OMV6. And also due to fact having many years linux background. We thought we can handle issues better on the OS level. But seems we are not right here.

So we decided to try to switch from trueNAS to OMV6. The project came to stop in the meanwhile, since we have no clue, why we are facing issues with mapping shares via Samba on WIndows 10 pro and Windows 11.

In my past years with Samba, I never faced such issues as I am facing them with OMV6 + Windows10 pro (and 11)

In all other solutions, including any commercial built NAS, which itself run on samba, all my test users and test clients can access easily the samba shares.

As soon as we try to connect with OMV6 + samba we are failing.

I am not sure if this is an specific issue at our end, but since this issue seems to pop up regularly here in the forum, it seems to be a general issue.

My critical words

Why can my clients connect easily to other NAS solutions based on samba, but they fail deterministic on OMV6+samba?

It seems that in combination with OMV6 + Samba or OMV6+debian 11, some issues come in, which make the integration with windows hard or even unsuccessful. Is this only a assumption at my end, or is this a fact?

In my cases (did multiple installations) it is clearly a fact

Is this issue a low prio issue in your eyes?

IMHO to make this project more successful there should be spent more time in analyzing, what the root cause is behind this issue with windows?

As of https://de.statista.com/statis…steme-weltweit-seit-2009/ the marketshare of windows is - sadly - still over 75%, so a big impact, if other users are failing on the same issue.

My words to help here

I am still interested to move ahead with OMV6, but all the provided and suggested changes have been executed and did not help in my cases.

And the environment is not a so complex environment, so looks for me that I am facing a common issue with OMV6.

Also my major question will stay up, why are we facing the issue only with OMV6 and not with other samba solutions?

Sounds for me like a general configuration issue on OMV6?

As said I am not here for ranting and blaming.
    I am here to try to support, but also trying to shake awake the decider of the project to rethink or reconsider if here some other approaches shall be taken in consideration.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Even though you know Linux, did you read the new user guide? https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…#creating_a_network_share Not sure what you want "fixed" since you aren't telling us how you set things up or what is not working. Personally, I don't use samba much but I also haven't had any issues in my testing. OMV doesn't create some strange smb.conf. Have you compared the smb.conf generated by OMV with the smb.conf generated by your other solutions?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Or maybe reinforce the use of NFS on Windows instead of samba?!?

Sorry, not helpfull.

I'll take my leave.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In all other solutions, including any commercial built NAS, which itself run on samba, all my test users and test clients can access easily the samba shares.

As soon as we try to connect with OMV6 + samba we are failing.

Sounds like a perfect situation for trouble shooting. Just compare smb.conf and smb version and check what is making the difference.

I am here to try to support

Please share your findings, so that others can benefit.

• switch from trueNAS to OMV6. The project came to stop in the meanwhile, since we have no clue, why we are facing issues with mapping shares via Samba on WIndows 10 pro and Windows 11.

Well in RE: OMV6 SMB not working with Windows 10 but with Windows 2012R2 Std a very clear explainations was given for the reason but apparently got ignored .
    Is this ignorance the fault of OMV?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Sounds like a perfect situation for trouble shooting. Just compare smb.conf and smb version and check what is making the difference.

Please share your findings, so that others can benefit.

thank you, good point!

Let me fetch the smb.conf, if I can reach them. Will revert back. in a different thread

• I'm not using Windows and do not experience problems wit Linux clients. If the Windows users experience problems, then they must contribute to the project. That's how open source works. The OMV devs can not do everything.

thank you for your message, but your reply is out of topic ;)
    And so not even helping at all.

Yes, I prefer also Linux, but still 75% of the Users use the crappy Windows, and that marketshare is sadly enough to keep track on it :(

• Even though you know Linux, did you read the new user guide? https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…#creating_a_network_share Not sure what you want "fixed" since you aren't telling us how you set things up or what is not working. Personally, I don't use samba much but I also haven't had any issues in my testing. OMV doesn't create some strange smb.conf. Have you compared the smb.conf generated by OMV with the smb.conf generated by your other solutions?

Thank you for pointing to it. We will retry the doc, but our issue is that we fail already on

Explore the New Network Share

Anyway we will recheck all previous steps, if one configuration is the reason for this issue.

• I used samba as one of the main features on omv5 and now on omv6. Clients are Linux, MacOS as well as Win11. It is a multi user environment with dedicated user shares and group shares. All the shares are also accessible via Nextcloud.

In the very beginning it was quite hard to find correct permission settings that work for all users and groups on all client systems + Nextcloud.

However, properly setup I’ve never had any problems. For me Samba works like a charm. It is fast and reliable. I was reading your post and still wonder what issues you are talking about.

• Offizieller Beitrag

We will retry the doc, but our issue is that we fail already onExplore the New Network Share

Anyway we will recheck all previous steps, if one configuration is the reason for this issue.

I understand you are failing on that issue. My last sentence was the most important.

And one other question,... Are you using email accounts or local accounts or AD accounts on Win10 to sign in?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• As I have written we tested already tons of things, incl. steps of your linked thread

well "ignorance" is my term for not responding to the suggestions of several posts in above quoted thread."

Real "facts" are supported by proving actual results of suggested actions but these facts are absent.

Just mentioning "we tested already tons of things, incl. steps of your linked thread" is simply not helpful for anybody and a waste of time.

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you for pointing to it. We will retry the doc, but our issue is that we fail already on Explore the New Network Share

Firewalls can be a problem if they're set to "high security" on the local LAN. That's a common mistake. High security can, effectively, isolate a Windows box allowing little more than HTTP connections to servers. You might try disabling the client firewall, just for a test.

Again, as noted in the User Guide, to start, the Shared Folder permission is Everyone Read/Write and the SMB share should be Guests Allowed.
    (This is to get started. It can be tightened up later.)

In your SMB shares, in Extra Options, you could try:

client max protocol = SMB3

I noticed, in your first post that you changed the windows registry to SMB2 so you might try:

client max protocol = SMB2

Finally, from the client, you might try accessing the server share by IP address instead of by name.

\\IP-address\music

• Offizieller Beitrag

Finally, from the client, you might try accessing the server share by IP address instead of by name.

I don't know if it is related, but I have noticed that when I have a running VM I can no longer access the shares from Windows by name but by IP. If the VM stops everything is back to normal, although I have to re-enter the credentials.

Just information, maybe useful to someone.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!