Tunning Samba for more speed

• A B is a byte. A b is a bit. There are eight bits in a byte.

112MB/s is about all you can expect from a gigabit connection. Consider yourself lucky.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My internet connection is a gigabit but I can only get around 9-10 Mb/s via SMB

?( internet connection has nothing to do with smb, if you are referring to your ethernet lan, your local network then this is hardware related.

• Where is the extra options located?

scroll to bottom of screen , shown in https://openmediavault.readthe…b-cif-samba-network-share

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Hey guys.

I am new here and i already slammed head first into performance-issues with SAMBA, BUT i found the issue, so i decided to post it here, as some may stumble accross this thread and nothing works, we've all been there:

So my speeds were...miserable. Around 10 MB/s.

The config, posted here, made it even WORSE, with around 7MB/s.

Long story short:

Issue was my DLAN (Basically LAN via your power-lines)!

I NEVER had any issues with it before, i just stumbled over it, when i used my laptop and it performed WAY better.

Luckily, my PC has a WiFi/Bt board (use it mainly for Bluetooth), so i tried the WiFi and BAM: 50 MB/s, without applying the config here, which, yes really, makes it worse (Drop from 50 to 7 MB/s) for me!

So it should be noted: The way, how you connect your PC to the NAS, is important.

I am no expert on this level, but i do know, that DLAN is not the most "stable" solution, but it is a nice thing, if your router is on the other end of your flat.

So cables, adapters, whatever, can SIGNIFICANTLY (i think we can agree here) impact performance.

Maybe this helps others, to reach their solution.

• All devices are connected directly to my router. Applied these settings and noticed a drop from 20MB/s to about 7MB/s. I'm getting gigabit speeds on pretty much everything outside of SMB.

• All devices are connected directly to my router. Applied these settings and noticed a drop from 20MB/s to about 7MB/s. I'm getting gigabit speeds on pretty much everything outside of SMB.

What computer are you working with? I am with a mac environment at home and after upgrading to macOS Big Sur the smb became unusable for me. I am back with AFP and this works reliable and fast.

• Applied these settings

please be specific how the setting are right now.

This thread was for the long obsolete OMV 2!
    The settings to get ~100MB/s for OMV 5 are documented in my thread quoted in signature

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Hello from Bucharest-Romania, newbie here.

Nice to meet all of you.

I am an old, almost-retired technical engineer, savvy for DIY, modding and tinkering, addicted audiophile...

I just installed OMV, bare metal, on an Intel minipc, and I attached one 4TB USB3 external USB drive, everything is running on Ethernet cat6 physical line, through a wireless bridge between two asus routers... Everything, from Internet ilnk to all hardware has gigabit Internet and Ethernet.

Configuration of harware OMV machine is:

Hardware Acer Veriton N4630G, 8GB DDR3 RAM

Hostname openmediavault.WORKGROUP

Version 6.0-34 (Shaitan)

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570S CPU @ 2.90GHz

Kernel Linux 5.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

I need this installation to function on SM v.1 because it is feeding audio and video files to my OPPO205 lapyer, which doesn”t know anything more tham SMB V.1. I managed to do this by adding to advanced settings, EXTRA OPTIONS in global secton of SMB/CIFS the following lines:

tlm auth = yes

client min protocol = NT1

server min protocol = NT1

This gave me a wired upload speed of 75-90 MB/s, from windows laptop with SMBv.1 enabled, totally satisfactory since I want primarily to be able to ADD more files to collection, from windows PC to OMV external USB shared disk.

Problem is that, reversely, COPYING from OMV ext. USB disk back to same windows 11 laptop PC gives only 2-5 MB/s, oscillating speed....

All write/copy is made through Windows 11/64bit native Explorer.

I tried to remedy this speed mismatch in all possible combinations, altogether, alternatively, one-by-one of the solutions found in the two relevant threads here, but wit no results. Even worse, write speed decreased from 75 to 25 – so I deleted everything from advanced SMB config, except for the main first three lines enforcing SMB V.1.

The various alternative settings tried already:

max protocol = smb2

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536

read raw = yes

write raw = yes

max xmit = 65535

dead time = 15

getwd cache = yes

socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072 TCP_NODELAY

min receivefile size = 2048

use sendfile = true

aio read size = 2048

aio write size = 2048

write cache size = 1024000

read raw = yes

write raw = yes

getwd cache = yes

oplocks = yes

max xmit = 65535

dead time = 15

large readwrite = yes

min receivefile size = 16384

write cache size = 524288

getwd cache = yes

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

read raw = yes

write raw = yes

Please assist in order to get a more decent speed, it does not HAVE TO match the write speed on the disk, of which I am quite happy. Just a decent, practical speed...

I know hot to enter putty and ssh if necessary, but I am by no means any good in linux programming, so all I can is follow indications and written commands, not interpreting and troubleshooting.

Excuse me for posting this message twice, on both threads recommended in the Commo nProblems main thread, at Problem #5: Samba is slow....

Cheers to each and everyone.

Hello from Bucharest-Romania, newbie here.

Nice to meet all of you.

I am an old, almost-retired technical engineer, savvy for DIY, modding and tinkering, addicted audiophile...

I just installed OMV, bare metal, on an Intel minipc, and I attached one 4TB USB3 external USB drive, everything is running on Ethernet cat6 physical line, through a wireless bridge between two asus routers...

Configuration of harware OMV machine is:

Hardware Acer Veriton N4630G, 8GB DDR3 RAM

Hostname openmediavault.WORKGROUP

Version 6.0-34 (Shaitan)

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570S CPU @ 2.90GHz

Kernel Linux 5.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

I need this installation to function on SM v.1 because it is feeding audio and video files to my OPPO205 lapyer, which doesn”t know anything more tham SMB V.1. I managed to do this by adding to advanced settings, EXTRA OPTIONS in global secton of SMB/CIFS the following lines:

tlm auth = yes

client min protocol = NT1

server min protocol = NT1

This gave me a wired upload speed of 75-90 MB/s, from windows laptop with SMBv.1 enabled, totally satisfactory since I want primarily to be able to ADD more files to collection, from windows PC to OMV external USB shared disk.

Problem is that, reversely, COPYING from OMV ext. USB disk back to same windows 11 laptop PC gives only 2-5 MB/s, oscillating speed....

All write/copy is made through Windows 11/64bit native Explorer.

I tried to remedy this speed mismatch in all possible combinations, altogether, alternatively, one-by-one of the solutions found in the two relevant threads here, but wit no results. Even worse, write speed decreased from 75 to 25 – so I deleted everything from advanced SMB config, except for the main first three lines enforcing SMB V.1.

The various alternative settings tried already:

max protocol = smb2

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536

read raw = yes

write raw = yes

max xmit = 65535

dead time = 15

getwd cache = yes

socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072 TCP_NODELAY

min receivefile size = 2048

use sendfile = true

aio read size = 2048

aio write size = 2048

write cache size = 1024000

read raw = yes

write raw = yes

getwd cache = yes

oplocks = yes

max xmit = 65535

dead time = 15

large readwrite = yes

min receivefile size = 16384

write cache size = 524288

getwd cache = yes

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

read raw = yes

write raw = yes

Please assist in order to get a more decent speed, it does not HAVE TO match the write speed on the disk, of which I am quite happy. Just a decent, practical speed...

I know hot to enter putty and ssh if necessary, but I am by no means any good in linux programming, so all I can is follow indications and written commands, not interpreting and troubleshooting.

LATER EDIT - It was from the SMB, I presume, since when I placed the same setup directly wired to the router and used NFS shares, the speed got to 108/112 write/read.

Thanks.

• Hey, I have a weird problem. As you can see in this screenshot when I started uploading it was around 4MB/s, then i paused it and resumed it (this happens when you see that spike over there) and after a few seconds, it dropped back down..

• Usually when there is a big drop in smb speed, the culprit is the ram,or lack of it. What are your OMV specs?

i have a rpi4 with 4gb of ram

but from the dashboard it says that only 4% of ram is used so i dont think that is a ram problem

The disk that i am using a a toshiba External USB 3.0 1TB drive

• I have a weird problem. As you can see in this screenshot when I started uploading it was around 4MB/s, then i paused it and resumed it (this happens when you see that spike over there) and after a few seconds, it dropped back down..

The disk that i am using a a toshiba External USB 3.0 1TB drive

Would guess this HDD is having either:

1) a Windows file system
    or

2) no or very small INTERNAL cache

or

3) a USB chipset with bad LINUX driver support.

These facts are leading to low performance.

Are you see the same issue when the HDD is used on Windows?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!