Manually update Plex Step by step Tutorial?

• Hi, my Plex server installed in Docker says there is an update available but it has to be installed manually. No automatic updates here.

Can I politely request if if hasn’t already been done, a step by step, easy to follow update process tutorial to accomplish this?

TIA :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

In Portainer restart the container. That should start the update.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

Check the documentation of the image you are using. There are different ways to update containers. If you use linuxserver/plex, make sure to use the correct tag for it. to set an environment variable VERSION to latest as shown in the post from Agricola below.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is how mine is set up:

Code
    environment:
    - PUID=1000
    - PGID=100
    - VERSION=latest
  • Did you set the VERSION=latest environment variable when you created the container? No updates will take place is this variable is not set. This is not the same thing as setting the tag when pulling the image.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I don't know what you mean, please explain it to me like I'm 5.

I would ask a five year old if he or she read the documentation for the docker image. Did you?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Did you set the VERSION=latest environment variable when you created the container? No updates will take place is this variable is not set. This is not the same thing as setting the tag when pulling the image.

In his screen shot from portainer, it says plex:latest.

• If you are using portainer, stop Plex. Select it. use recreate button, on prompt enable Pull latest image. That's it.

Media Server: OMV 7, Asrock J5040, 8gb Ram, Rad 2 disk (16+18 TBhdds), Backup: Gigabye MB, i3 8100, 16 GB Ram, Raid 0, (4x8TB hdds)

• In his screen shot from portainer, it says plex:latest.

As I said, setting the tag when pulling the image is not the same thing as setting that environment variable when configuring the container.

This is why his container creation date is stuck on a date that is six months ago.

--

• As I said, setting the tag when pulling the image is not the same thing as setting that environment variable when configuring the container.

This is why his container creation date is stuck on a date that is six months ago.

Please, just walk me through it like I'm 5. This is the first and only time I've ever and probably will use Portainer/docker. I don't understand it, I don't know what I'm doing. I am an A1 NOOB at this. I installed Plex on OMV by watching a YouTube video. Thats the extent of my knowledge.

You say I need to change a tag, how do I do this?

The post above says I can just do this and all will be well, is that right?

If you are using portainer, stop Plex. Select it. use recreate button, on prompt enable Pull latest image. That's it.

If there's something I need to change or you need more information from me, I am happy to do so, just tell me how... please

TIA

• Offizieller Beitrag

You're still trying to figure this out?

How did you install Plex would be a good start.. Did you install it with a stack, docker-compose, or what?

• You're still trying to figure this out?

How did you install Plex would be a good start.. Did you install it with a stack, docker-compose, or what?

I installed it with the help of a YouTube video. I don't know if it was a stack or a docker compose or frankly what they are or mean :/ All I can remember is filling in a form of some sort, various tabs and voila, Plex server installed. like I said this is/was the first and only time I've ever used docker/portainer so I'm not familiar with it at all.

All I need to know is how to update the Plex Server on it, preferably so it will update automatically or at reboot, whatever.

Now, from my limited understanding of what I've read, there is a TAG. Mine says LATEST and this I think, is wrong which is why it won't update (on reboot). So I need to change this TAG to either PLEXPASS or PUBLIC. I don't know which, and I don't know how.

There is also the suggestion that I just

If you are using portainer, stop Plex. Select it. use recreate button, on prompt enable Pull latest image. That's it.

but I'd just like clarification that that will work and not obliterate my Plex Database. Is this just a temporary fix? Do I still need to change this TAG in order to fix the problem properly

I have read numerous times "Read the documentation". Where is this documentation? Which bit of this documentation refers to the problem I'm having?

I thought I was pretty "tech savvy" but this has really stumped me.

P.S. If you think this is bad wait till I want to install PiHole and upgrade from OMV5 to OMV6! =O

PPS Some official tutorials/guides would be a real help especially for the elderly noobs like myself

• Offizieller Beitrag

There's lots of guides in the guides forum

As was already pointed out by gderf... tagging your image "latest" doesn't necessarily give you the latest version of Plex. You need to set an environment variable to "latest" It's best to educate yourself on these things rather than just blindly following videos, etc. or expecting people to "explain it like your 5"... most don't want to hand hold like that. I'm not saying you need to be an expert but at least having a basic understanding so you can ask a question that make sense, is helpful

but I'll humor you... Proceed at your own risk

Click Duplicate/Edit at the top

Click the Environments tab

Click Add an Environment Variable

At the bottom of your Environment Variables, a new row will appear

Name is VERSION (left side of the new row)

Value is latest (right side of the new row)

Scroll up a little and click the Deploy the Container button, and then click replace. That will redeploy plex w/ the new environment variable. I don't use plex, but according to their instructions, that will pull the latest version.

• Thank you!!

There is not an ice cubes chance in hell I would have been able to accomplish that without your help. These are the exact instructions I was hoping for!

I read the documentation and was still none the wiser.

• KillrBill

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • KillrBill

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!